Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:49 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 936
Schools: Alberta '23
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [1]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Send PM
Re: E gmat course [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Have you taken any gmat prep tests or you burned through them in the past? There are also free other tests that perhaps you can use to gauge which score is inflated/deflated.

PS. I don’t have experience with the Sigma tests. I don’t see a lot of people bringing them up now that I think about it…

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I have test 3 and test 4 left .....but I am confuse about purchasing them for now... In INR they get multiplied by 80 .....Im thinking of using my gmat club points to use gmat club test for my next attempt
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
You can definitely use GMAT Club tests but you will still have a similar potential concern at the end, that all third-party tests have, which is how accurate is the verbal score?

But here’s a thing, if you had purchased GMAT prep tests, and spent 50 bucks, you would know what score to expect and have a pretty good idea where you were and if you indeed were at 610, you would not have to spend $275 for the GMAT… so you could have spent 50 or whatever dollars to save $275 potentially 🤷‍♂️

Just saying. Also, GMAT Club test will be free on Monday in about two or three days for the entire 24 hour period so you can give them a shot and see where you land.

Posted from my mobile device
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30801 [0]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
kakakakaak – I am sorry that you scored 610 on the GMAT. Having said that, if we predicted your ability to be at a V37 then it should be around a V37. At e-GMAT, we predict your ability using multiple data points including:

1. Your score in cementing quizzes
2. Your Scholaranium accuracy stats
3. Your SIGma-X mock scores.

You get a reliable estimate only when the estimates provided by these three metrics are within range. For example, if your SC ability score in your last SIGma-X mock is 80th percentile, but your last 20 Scholaranium-Hard accuracy is 45 percent then that 80th percentile score will not be a reliable estimate. It becomes a reliable estimate only when your last 20 SC-Hard accuracy is consistently around 60 percent AND your SIGma-X mock SC percentile is 80th percentile.

Bottom line: A single data point can be wrong, but multiple data points are not likely to be wrong. If we predicted your ability to be 80th percentile based on multiple data points then it likely is.

Why did you score lower on the official test?

There could be a multitude of reasons why you scored poorly. It could just be that you had a bad day – you were exceedingly nervous which led to you performing poorly. When we are nervous, we don’t approach the questions on the test the same way. Rather, we start looking for shortcuts. Similarly, some students focus on just one section before the actual exam and do well on that section but perform poorly on the other section.

Again, like a mock, the actual GMAT is one data point (unfortunately the most important one). If your stats indicate that you have 80th percentile ability on Scholaranium and have scored around the same consistently on SIGma-X mocks then that is your ability. We stand by that assessment.

Remember, sixty-three percent of all 700+ GMAT scores reported on GMAT Club in 2021 were by e-GMATers. Most of them first achieved that ability based on Scholaranium accuracy, and then on the mocks (SIGma-X and official), and then on the official mocks.

Some people underperform at some point in their final stages

A few of them (700-scorers mentioned above) faltered on the official test like you. But they trusted the process and bounced back within 15 days. Some like Magdalena(780 scorer) messed up on their SIGma-X mock (scored 680) right before the test. Does that mean that their ability suddenly evaporated? Not really! You cannot build or lose ability in a day (unless you go crazy). In Magdalena's case, she performed as predicted, scoring 780 on the actual test.

Bottom line: your test, even though the only official data point, is still one data point. As bb indicated, you can underperform on the test. Don’t doubt your ability if you have consistently performed at a higher level prior to that.

One more thing – you have access to GMAT Club tests as a part of your e-GMAT subscription. You may activate your subscription and take their mock.
-Rajat
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi kakakakaak,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before we discuss any of those potential issues though, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? How many hours did you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far? What “brands” of CATs/mocks have you used?
3) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

If you took your Official GMAT at a Test Center, then you might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
kakakakaak

All the best with your next attempt. If you can get the ESR, try to replay what actually happened as you look at the data. Was there anything weird that may have happened or a RC that you were in fact really unsure about, for example. Perhaps some time management issues that you usually don't have.

How to get a V40 or higher on the GMAT? What about a V51?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts