Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 18:12 It is currently 07 May 2024, 18:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 622013 [30]
Given Kudos: 81786
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6875 [7]
Given Kudos: 500
General Discussion
Verbal Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1614 [1]
Given Kudos: 1680
Send PM
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1051 [0]
Given Kudos: 630
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
Re: Research suggests that people who feel protected from a specific type [#permalink]
(A) for me too. But, what's the source?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [1]
Given Kudos: 48
Research suggests that people who feel protected from a specific type [#permalink]
Kudos
Research suggests that people who feel protected from a specific type of risk have a decreased tendency to act in a way calculated to avoid that risk. Therefore, to have a healthy economy, it seems prudent to have bankruptcy provisions that will adequately protect people against the financial catastrophe that can result from financial risk-taking.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A. The willingness of people to take significant financial risks with potentially catastrophic consequences is conducive to a healthy economy.

The CONCLUSION,derived from the stimulus, highlights that 'adequate' provisions are needed to protect people against financial catastrphe that can result from financial risk-taking..

Let's NEGATE the prompt..It then means that

The willingness of people to take significant financial risks with potentially catastrophic consequences is NOT conducive to a healthy economy.

Then , why do you need such 'adequate' provisions ? There is no requirement for these provisions towards building a healthy economy..Evidently, the conclusion does NOT hold..

Hence, it's the CORRECT answer..

B. Spending tax money to protect citizens who use their money unwisely is unlikely to induce more people to use money unwisely.
While the facts follow from the stimulus , it is NOT necessary to be true for the Conclusion to hold

C. Some people will not take financial risks with potentially catastrophic consequences even if they feel adequately protected by bankruptcy provisions
Invalidates the conclusion, which highlights that people will be encouraged to take financial risks..Anyways , the prompt considers only 'some' people's attitude within it's scope..so can't be the correct option
D. People who suffer financial disaster due to events that were not easily foreseeable are not to blame for the disaster.
Irrelevant to the argument..Out of scope..

E. To be conducive to a healthy economy, bankruptcy provisions should protect people only from risk that arises from business ventures.
Limits the financial risks to those arising from business ventures,,Too limited in scope, while considering financial risks..

Hope it helps..!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 314
Schools: Simon '25
Send PM
Re: Research suggests that people who feel protected from a specific type [#permalink]
Can some expert please explain why A is the answer and others are not?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 314
Schools: Simon '25
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
SDW2 wrote:
Can some expert please explain why A is the answer and others are not?

Hello, SDW2. I would be happy to offer some assistance. Perhaps because the question reminded me so much of this other tough assumption question, in which an unforeseen agent enters the picture right at the beginning of the argument, this question did not prove too tricky for me. A valid assumption will create a logical bridge between premise(s) and argument. Take a look at the argument again and see if you can spot the unforeseen agent:

Quote:
Research suggests that people who feel protected from a specific type of risk have a decreased tendency to act in a way calculated to avoid that risk. Therefore, to have a healthy economy, it seems prudent to have bankruptcy provisions that will adequately protect people against the financial catastrophe that can result from financial risk-taking.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

Now, you should be asking yourself, How did we go from research on people to commentary on what constitutes a healthy economy? That seems like a bit of a stretch. Reading just the first sentence, I was anticipating a follow-up sentence on physical safety, perhaps. A specific type of risk does not make me automatically drum up a financial or economic risk, but that could just be me. In any case, in my assumption I am going to be looking for a logical link between A, the research, and C, the argument on how to create a healthy economy.

Quote:
A. The willingness of people to take significant financial risks with potentially catastrophic consequences is conducive to a healthy economy.

This fits perfectly. If you prefer the negation technique, you can insert a not between is and conducive and test for truthfulness. However, I prefer a drag-and-drop technique.

Premise: Research suggests that people who feel protected from a specific type of risk have a decreased tendency to act in a way calculated to avoid that risk.

Assumption: The willingness of people to take significant financial risks with potentially catastrophic consequences is conducive to a healthy economy.

Argument: Therefore, to have a healthy economy, it seems prudent to have bankruptcy provisions that will adequately protect people against the financial catastrophe that can result from financial risk-taking.

Notice how this assumption seamlessly stitches together information from both parts of the passage. People need to take risks to create a healthy economy, but bankruptcy provisions should be in place to adequately protect people against the potentially disastrous consequences of financial risk-taking. I know the double negative of the premise can be hard to follow: a decreased tendency... to avoid risk. But if people feel less inclined to avoid risk (because they feel protected), they will take more risks, and the cycle is complete. In short, we have found our answer.

Quote:
B. Spending tax money to protect citizens who use their money unwisely is unlikely to induce more people to use money unwisely.

I do not necessarily see people who engage in financial risk-taking (from the argument) as citizens who use their money unwisely. The passage makes no such judgment on risk-takers. It says that financial catastrophe... can result, not that it will. When I think of people spending or using money unwisely, I think of gambling, (excessive) drinking or smoking, and so on—you know, the typical vice material. Whether you negate or place this supposed assumption between the two lines of the passage, you will get nowhere with this one.

Quote:
C. Some people will not take financial risks with potentially catastrophic consequences even if they feel adequately protected by bankruptcy provisions.

Watch out for some anything. Unless the passage deals in absolutes—e.g., arguing that something must be done, done in a particular way, or that all or no people/things are involved or affected—this sort of language typically steers the test-taker wayward. And this answer choice proves no different. Where does the passage insist that all people need to behave the same way? Nowhere. The first line merely informs us of a tendency in people. Then, the end of the statement is the opposite of what we want in an assumption. If some people will not take certain risks even if they feel adequately protected by bankruptcy provisions, then why in the world would the argument then deem it prudent to have bankruptcy provisions that will adequately protect people against... financial catastrophe? That would make no sense at all.

Quote:
D. People who suffer financial disaster due to events that were not easily foreseeable are not to blame for the disaster.

Blame has nothing to do with the content of the passage, and there is a more noticeable gap if we seek to tie together the findings of the research and the argument on how to have a healthy economy with this information. Is the economy based on scapegoats? I am having trouble even brainstorming how I could get behind this answer choice.

Quote:
E. To be conducive to a healthy economy, bankruptcy provisions should protect people only from risk that arises from business ventures.

This answer choice starts off well enough, but then it takes an extreme turn in only, and the specific path it takes in confining risk to that which arises from business ventures is equally extreme. Financial risk-taking cannot be labeled business ventures with a great degree of confidence. Again, consider gambling. Is that really a business venture? Watch out for extremes.

PyjamaScientist wrote:
(A) for me too. But, what's the source?

Finally, Skills Insight is a free product that GMAC™ released on Valentine's Day, 2022. You can read the announcement here. It is always exciting to see freshly released official questions, even if some of the questions looked familiar when I went through the platform myself. I am wondering whether this is what the GMAT™ community will get this year in the way of new questions, rather than an updated OG.

If anyone has any questions on or concerns over anything I have written above, feel free to follow up. Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew

Hi,
Thank you so much for that detailed response!!!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts