Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:52 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Geometryx                                    
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23858 [55]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619047 [12]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 526 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: In the figure above, if the area of triangular region D is 4 [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
Attachment:
Region D2.png
In the figure above, if the area of triangular region D is 4, what is the length of a side of square region A ?

The area of triangular region D = \(\frac{xy}{2} = 4\) --> \(xy=8\).
Question: \(z = \sqrt{x^2+y^2}\)

(1) The area of square region B is 9 --> \(x^2=9\) --> \(x=3\) --> \(y=\frac{8}{x}=\frac{8}{3}\). Sufficient.

(2) The area of square region C is 64/9 --> \(y^2=\frac{64}{9}\) --> \(y=\frac{8}{3}\) --> \(x=\frac{8}{y}=3\). Sufficient.

Answer: D.

Hi Bunnel,
I wonder why aren't we using the hypotenuse as one of the sides when calculating the area??
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619047 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
LaxmiReddy wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Attachment:
Region D2.png
In the figure above, if the area of triangular region D is 4, what is the length of a side of square region A ?

(1) The area of square region B is 9 --> \(x^2=9\) --> \(x=3\) --> \(y=\frac{8}{x}=\frac{8}{3}\). Sufficient.

(2) The area of square region C is 64/9 --> \(y^2=\frac{64}{9}\) --> \(y=\frac{8}{3}\) --> \(x=\frac{8}{y}=3\). Sufficient.

Hi Bunnel,
I wonder why aren't we using the hypotenuse as one of the sides when calculating the area??

Check here: math-triangles-87197.html
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [2]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi All,

Since this is a DS question, we CANNOT trust the picture. We can trust any descriptions and numbers that we are given though - so we know that the triangle is a RIGHT triangle, it's area IS 4 and the shape A IS a square. We're asked for a side length of square A.

1) The area of square region B is 9.

Since shape B is a square - and its area is 9 - we know that its sides are each 3. Knowing the height of the triangle is 3, we can figure out its base:

Area = (1/2)(Base)(Height)
4 = (1/2)(B)(3)
4 = 1.5B
4/1.5 = B

With the base and the height, we CAN figure out the length of the diagonal (by using the Pythagorean Theorem), so we would have the answer to the question.
Fact 1 is SUFFICIENT

2) The area of square region C is 64/9.

While the information in Fact 2 might look a big 'weird', we know from the work that we did in Fact 1 that if we have either the base or the height of the triangle, then we can figure out the other side and then solve the diagonal. Thus, Fact 2 is also enough information to answer the question.
Fact 2 is SUFFICIENT

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [0]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Attachment:
Region D2.png

why are dividing 8 by 3 can you explain the logic ? \(y=\frac{8}{x}=\frac{8}{3}\).
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2499 [1]
Given Kudos: 459
Send PM
Bookmarks
dave13 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Attachment:
Region D2.png

why are dividing 8 by 3 can you explain the logic ? \(y=\frac{8}{x}=\frac{8}{3}\).

Hello

Bunuel explained in his solution that the area of the right triangle will be 1/2 * x * y or xy/2, this area is give as 4, so xy/2 = 4 or xy = 8 which in turn tells us that y = 8/x. He has explained in the highlighted part.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
We have the area of right triangle D is 4, so if we know one of two legs, we could calculate the hypotenuse or the side of square region A ( using Pythagorean theorem c^2 = a^2 + b^2)
Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Attachment:
Region D2.png

dear Bunuel, I picked up E because I though there is no any information tells us B and C are square.
could you help clarify further?

thanks in advance
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619047 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
zoezhuyan wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Attachment:
Region D2.png

dear Bunuel, I picked up E because I though there is no any information tells us B and C are square.
could you help clarify further?

thanks in advance

Check the highlighted parts. B is "square region" means that B is a square.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22055 [2]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos