Last visit was: 04 Jun 2024, 20:02 It is currently 04 Jun 2024, 20:02
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

Will you be driving? and what?

44% [31]
11% [8]
4% [3]
5% [4]
2% [2]
30% [21]
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
As I weigh my options, Cornell gets an entry in the pros column for being located in a pedestrian-friendly town. We had two cars when we came, but it became apparent that one would do. NDHLP takes the bus to campus and I walk or bike to work. The car is mostly for grocery trips and other errands that take us away from downtown. I really don't want to buy another, but it sounds like the Raleigh-Durham area is a two-car location. But maybe we could just get a Vespa or something. That would be hip.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am in the process of selling my Jetta (it's hitting the papers tomorrow if anyone's interested :lol: ), and I plan to walk or ride a bicycle to campus and back. The good thing is that my girlfriend is coming with me and we will share her car. Having a nice car is probably the last thing on my list right now, I just want to get through school without having to drop $300/mnth on a car bill.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Also selling my car. I'm going to miss my pontiac :(
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
If you can find a car that you can bare with for 2 year for $5000 then that would be a pretty good idea. But if you know where you will be working after mba, there's no reason why you shouldn't plan ahead and get something that will last a few more years.

I have a different problem... I have a somewhat sporty car that some people might consider slightly flashy. I love this car but it would make sense to sell it and buy something more practical. Especially since I will be moving 5 hours away to little ol Ithaca.

I'm suppose to be carpooling with future classmates to NYC for recruitment on a regular basis... what do I do? Is it bad to drive a flashy car as a student? Or will I score with all the 20 biology girls from the other thread?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3086 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
BMW 325xi

Staying with me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Acura TL 6 speed, also staying where it belongs...in the garage.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
i'm actually really struggling with this decision right now.

i'll be attending kellogg in the fall, where apparently most students don't have a car.

but i outright own my car (albeit small and slightly ****, but an 02 so not too bad). i'd love to bring it so i can go grocery shopping and take my cat to the vet and not take a $40 cab to the airport everytime. i'd only have to pay for insurance (and i guess for a parking spot since i think most apts in evanston charge you for a spot).

hmm, so why wouldn't i take it? :) other than the hassle and the $$ for the insurance and parking.

thoughts?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
bulishona wrote:
i'm actually really struggling with this decision right now.

i'll be attending kellogg in the fall, where apparently most students don't have a car.

but i outright own my car (albeit small and slightly ****, but an 02 so not too bad). i'd love to bring it so i can go grocery shopping and take my cat to the vet and not take a $40 cab to the airport everytime. i'd only have to pay for insurance (and i guess for a parking spot since i think most apts in evanston charge you for a spot).

hmm, so why wouldn't i take it? :) other than the hassle and the $$ for the insurance and parking.

thoughts?

I'm the least appropriate person to convince you of not taking your car. I'm considering buying a bike and a car. A bike for spring /autumn (maybe summer, depending on where I end up). And the car for winter. Or maybe just the bike. I dunno, I just can't bear going back to being a pedestrian, no matter how good public transportation is or how expensive owning a car is.

However, I know if I end up in Boston it will probably make no sense at all for me to have a car (too expensive) and I may have to talk me out of it.

Cheers. L.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 521 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
I have a Toyota Sequoia and a Porsche Boxter S. I guess it will depend entirely on where I end up, but I will not be taking both with me. In fact, neither one makes much sense for a student, maybe I'll trade for something disposable for 2 years (especially if it snows wherever I go). I know first hand what snow and the associated salted roads will do to cars.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
I have a Toyota Sequoia and a Porsche Boxter S. I guess it will depend entirely on where I end up, but I will not be taking both with me. In fact, neither one makes much sense for a student, maybe I'll trade for something disposable for 2 years (especially if it snows wherever I go). I know first hand what snow and the associated salted roads will do to cars.

oh my god, PLEASE be my sugar daddy! the porsche boxter ain't my fave, but i prefer it over rhyme's bmw.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 521 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:
pelihu wrote:

oh my god, PLEASE be my sugar daddy! the porsche boxter ain't my fave, but i prefer it over rhyme's bmw.

I used to drive a BMW. A mid-engined care like the Boxster has a totally different feel.

I'm considering that sugar daddy thing - what is your "fave"?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
aaudetat wrote:
pelihu wrote:

I used to drive a BMW. A mid-engined care like the Boxster has a totally different feel.

I'm considering that sugar daddy thing - what is your "fave"?

Actually, I'm not that into cars. I remember seeing the Boxter when it came out -- at least, I think at least a new model was coming out -- and the Paris car show in 1996. I was like, ho-hum. I liked the Carreras that were out much better.

Seriously, give me a used bicycle and a 10-year old 4-banger and I'm cool. I used to have a car with a V6, so I must say i do like the rolling buckets of steel from the old country (the midwest), but my tree-huggin ways no longer allow me to revel in all that hp.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
holy crap, people. please let me amend my "slightly ****" to "outright ****."

boxsters and bmws? um, i drive a mazda protege. so no need to switch to a disposable car, it's already pretty disposable!!! :P
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
bmw 2000, 328i. a nice little black sports car!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1127 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
We have an '05 Tahoe that my wife will use for her work/shopping etc. I'll probably either cycle to school or take the bus, depending on where we live. Parking at UW for one student is not only discouraged, it's outrageously expensive.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 252 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Our audi A4 B7 2.0 TDI will remain with us :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
This question is impacted by geographic location. Those in the US will almost certainly need a car, but for those in singapore, Europe, UK etc will pretty much stick to mass transport.

So 'wheels for b-school' for me is going to be bi-cycle wheels ;)
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   3