Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 22:05 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Re: As opposed to adults, pound for pound, children breathe twice a [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Tanchat wrote:

I can only eliminate (C) [compare Singular to Plural Noun].
I cannot eliminate others.

All the choices that say "unlike" or "opposed to" can be eliminated, because this sentence doesn't mention any opposite observations ("adults do this, but children don't").

That's good enough to get rid of A, C, and D.

The problem in E is "children compared to adults". The use of "compared to adults" directly after "children" without a comma implies that "compared to adults" modifies the noun "children". The resulting meaning—that the comparison is only valid for specific children whom somebody is comparing with adults— is nonsense.

Quote:
I don't understand the role of "Pound for Pound". Is it adjective/adverb or noun modifier?

It's an adverbial modifier. "Pound for pound"—which means the same thing as "per pound" or "on a per-pound basis"—specifies, mathematically, what type of comparison is being made.

Accordingly, this modifier can be attached to "compared" itself], or else to the entire clause that makes the comparison (e.g., Pound for pound, children breathe twice as much air as adults).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: As opposed to adults, pound for pound, children breathe twice a [#permalink]
Experts, can we eliminate options D and E for using the future tense to present general facts?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: International Business
Send PM
from choices C & D, is it a general rule that we can't compare a singular to a plural?
VP
VP
Send PM
As opposed to adults, pound for pound, children breathe twice a [#permalink]
Hi RonTargetTestPrep GMATNinja avigutman -

Per my understanding - the initial modifer has to make sense with the overall clause (Subject and Verb)

Doesnt (B) suggest that children breathe twice as much air ONLY WHEN COMPARED pound for pound with adults
o So children DONT BREATHE twice as much air when the comparison (pound for pound with adults) IS NOT TAKING PLACE ?
o That also didn’t make sense to me
Attachments

screenshot 3 .png
screenshot 3 .png [ 11.12 KiB | Viewed 1871 times ]

Originally posted by jabhatta2 on 15 Aug 2022, 08:01.
Last edited by jabhatta2 on 17 Aug 2022, 08:57, edited 13 times in total.
Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
AhmedMoharam89 wrote:
from choices C & D, is it a general rule that we can't compare a singular to a plural?

It's generally a good thing to write the two parts of a comparison in forms that are as parallel as possible.

There are, however, some contexts in which it just won't be possible to write a comparison as singular||singular or plural||plural.
E.g.,
Unlike the Biblical character Methuselah, who lived for 969 years, the vast majority of humans live for less than a centutry.
Methuselah is one character, so we can't make Methuselah plural—nor can we make "the majority of people" singular. This comparison, therefore, is stuck as singular vs. plural.

To sum up: No, that's not a 'general rule'. Just lean on your ordinary common sense to figure out how these things can or can't work, and don't waste your time considering anything that isn't actually in at least one of the answer choices.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2287 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
Hi RonTargetTestPrep GMATNinja avigutman -

Per my understanding - the initial modifer has to make sense with the overall clause (Subject and Verb)

Doesnt (B) suggest that children breathe twice as much air ONLY WHEN COMPARED pound for pound with adults
o So children DONT BREATHE twice as much air when the comparison (pound for pound with adults) IS NOT TAKING PLACE ?
o That also didn’t make sense to me

I wonder if this analogy will help, jabhatta2 (please do let me know):
Quote:
Compared on a per capita basis with China, Israel has quadruple the GDP.

Of course the actual GDP of China is way more than that of Israel!
So, yeah, the comparison is only valid on a per capita basis.

Going back to the children: of course they don't actually breath twice as much air as adults! That's only true if you compare pound for pound (e.g. a child weighs half as much as me but breaths the same amount of air as I do).
VP
VP
Send PM
avigutman wrote:
Quote:
Compared on a per capita basis with China, Israel has quadruple the GDP.

Of course the actual GDP of China is way more than that of Israel!
So, yeah, the comparison is only valid on a per capita basis.

Going back to the children: of course they don't actually breath twice as much air as adults! That's only true if you compare pound for pound (e.g. a child weighs half as much as me but breaths the same amount of air as I do).

@Avigtuamn - yes it does thank you
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
As opposed to adults, pound for pound, children breathe twice a [#permalink]
Hi RonPurewal RonTargetTestPrep , Happy New Year! I am sorry for bothering you, but I've read all the comments and I am still confused. I have several questions and I hope you would kindly help me. :cry:

1\You mentioned that there is no opposite observations here, but i think that "children breathe twice as much air as adults do" and "adults do not breathe twice as much air as adults do" (sorry for the redundancy here ) are TWO OPPOSITE FACTS. Could you please tell me what's wrong here?

RonTargetTestPrep wrote:

All the choices that say "unlike" or "opposed to" can be eliminated, because this sentence doesn't mention any opposite observations ("adults do this, but children don't").

That's good enough to get rid of A, C, and D.

2\I am confused about the ellipsis here. Why is the omitted word "[as adults do]" accepted here ?
I know that there is no need to consider the ellipsis in this question since no options offer "as much as",but i really want to know more about the omitted words. Could you explain more about the ellipsis? I thought that this sentence lacked fragments when I first glanced at it.
Quote:
children breathe twice as much air [as adults do]

Thanks for your answers in advance! :thumbsup:
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30802 [0]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey Everyone,

Here’s the detailed solution to this very interesting question on Modifier Errors.

Let's begin with an analysis of the Sentence Structure of the original sentence:

As opposed to adults, pound for pound, children breathe twice as much air, drink two and a half times as much water, eat three to four times as much food, and have more skin surface area.

Sentence Structure:

• As opposed to adults,
        • pound for pound,
    • children
      • breathe twice as much air,
      • drink two and a half times as much water,
      • eat three to four times as much food, and
      • have more skin surface area.

Aspects of Meaning:

• If we compare, pound for pound, a child with an adult, we will see that a child breathes, drinks, and eats two to four times as much as an adult. Let’s understand this with examples:
    • Let’s say a 70 kg (150 pound) adult eats 250 gm of food per day. So, an adult consumes 250/150 = 1.66 gm of food per pound body weight per day.
    • Now, let’s say a 10 kg (22 pound) child eats 100 gm of food per day. So, a child consumes 100/22 = 4.54 gm of food per pound body weight per day.
    • So, a child consumes 3 to 4 times as much food per pound of body weight as an adult.
  • The same (or similar) applies to how much a child breathes and drinks, and even to how much skin surface area a child has.
  • The sentence does not wish to say that children consume 2 to 4 times more (air, fluids, and food) or have more skin surface area than adults do in absolute terms.

Error Analysis:

• Choice A: Incorrect
    • The principal error here is that of the incorrect placement of the modifier “pound for pound”.
      • When inserted between commas, the phrase “pound for pound” becomes ambiguous in meaning.
      • It appears to modify the verbs “breathe, drink, eat, and have” as an adverbial modifier.
      • In its original form, the sentence implies that children eat, drink, and breathe more than adults do, in absolute terms. That is, if adults eat 250 gm of food per day, then children eat 750 to 1000 gm of food per day. This is absurd and not the intended meaning.
      • As per our meaning analysis, this difference is observed when we compare children and adults pound for pound of body weight.
    • The idiom “as opposed to” means “in contrast to”, “rather than”, or “instead of”. This sentence employs the meaning “in contrast to”, and hence is not incorrect. However, with this idiom we cannot attach the phrase “pound for pound” to imply “a pound for pound comparison”.

• Choice B: Correct
    • This choice properly implies that the comparison is pound for pound by using the phrase “compared pound for pound”.

• Choices C, D, and E: Incorrect
    • These choices repeat the modifier error in choice A: the placement of “pound for pound”.
    • In each of these choices, “pound for pound” modifies the verbs in the main clause and not the “comparison”, rendering these choices illogical.
    • Also, in choices D and E, the use of the simple future tense "will" is incorrect.
      • We use the Simple Present to convey a universal/general truth.

I hope this helps improve your understanding of the importance of the placement of modifiers in sentences.

Happy Learning!

Abhishek
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: General Management, Other
GRE 1: Q164 V158
Send PM
A) As opposed to adults, pound for pound, children - pound for pound is an essential phrase

B) Compared pound for pound with adults, children

C) Unlike an adult, pound for pound, children - adult to children comparison

D) Pound for pound, a child, unlike an adult, will - use of future tense is unwarranted

E) Pound for pound, children compared to adults will- use of future tense is unwarranted
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts