Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 22:44 It is currently 07 May 2024, 22:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for the prompt and detailed responses, guys!

In response to your questions: I graduated with a 3.8+ GPA, summa cum laude from the flagship public university in my state (but not Michigan or Berkeley caliber). I'm a U.S. citizen. My current job is in finance and is research based, but it is not academic research. I am confident that I can get a 700+ on the GMAT, and I think I have a reasonable chance of getting 750+.

My ultimate goal is not to attend a particular school, but rather to subsequently land a tenure track position in an AACSB certified school. If it's not a premier university, I'd be fine with that. I'd be perfectly happy with a tenure-track position at, for example, a state university that is not the state's flagship campus. I just want to get paid to do research and a little teaching! :-D

I have a few more questions:

1) From what I can tell by looking through the websites of various universities of various calibers, and seeing where the assistant professors of finance received their PhDs, it seems that a super elite degree is not necessary to attain a tenure track position at an AACSB school. Am I correct in thinking that the academic job market is pretty good for finance PhDs, even if they don't have a degree from an elite school?

2) Tuition is the main reason I'd prefer to enroll directly in a PhD program. Would a high enough math GMAT score be sufficient to demonstrate my mathematical ability?

3) Am I being realistic when I'm thinking of sending out applications to PhD programs this fall/winter?

Thanks,
tonic2
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
1. Yes, especially since you are willing to do your research in a simply respectable university, I think a Finance PhD in any of the top 50 schools will be sufficient.

You may have read it somewhere that an important factor in your placement is the reputation of your advisor than that of your PhD-granting school. I believe there are good advisors in non-elite schools.

2. I don't think GMAT's quant would be regarded as an indicator of your ability to tackle the maths in a finance phd program. Have you taken any quant modules during your undergrad? Like real analysis, advanced calculus, etc?

3. I do think that your profile is competitive, especially if you can attain high GMAT. However, as mentioned earlier, finance phd is highly competitive. Even if you have a strong profile, it may not be good enough...

Perhaps you can consider doing a Msc in Finance in the schools that you like to pursue your PhD. You can start working with the faculty, and they can also better assess you. Get some of them to be your recommenders. The chances of getting into the PhD program would be higher than if you just apply directly.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
tonic2;

It seems that you and I have a similar outlook, i.e. would be happy working at a mid-ranked school just so long as you get to do research and a little teaching (all though I am not that big on the teaching part).

I also think that working with a good supervisor helps to mitigate the lack of a brand name on your CV.

Last year I was also in a similar situation on weather or not to do a MSc. I elected to go with a MSc in Applied Mathematics (research based), but all of my research has been in the area of quantitative finance. This has exposed me to research, which I love and helped to confirm my desire for doctoral work. And I was fully funded in the process.

I will be starting a PhD in Finance with a rather famous professor in the financial engineering field (not Hull famous, but close) in a not so famous university. But the job market looks pretty good.

Good luck,
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4409 posts