Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:22 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
School Moderator - INSEAD Masters
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
GMAT 1: 460 Q31 V21 (Online)
GPA: 3.79
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72891 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: How to bounce back with failure in GMAT and B-school rejections ?? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi. I am amazed that you have been able to persevere for 1.5 years. That’s really hard to do anything especially some thing as unpleasant as getting beat up by an adaptive test…

My recommendation for you would be to allocate as three months chunk of time to focus on the test and to set specific milestones and develop a schedule where you plan out your studies for the entire three months. Would you be able to do that?

tejashendre wrote:
I tried for the whole 1.5 years to get done with GMAT but in the end, the whole preparation and burnout collapsed on me with an official 460 on the online test in March. I need an expert opinion on how to go ahead with the preparation and the application journey.

Similarly, I tried to get a convincing application with my lowest-than-average score on GMAT but received rejections in the application cycle of 2022-2023.

Now as a working professional with only 5 months into the full-time job, I am not able to dedicate time to restart my GMAT retake journey and try again for MiM at the top B-School as a reapplicant.

OR
I have to wait a lot for more years to apply for an MBA program.

I have attached my profile evaluation link I did previously, to check my profile.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/topic228685- ... l#p3203532

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Re: How to bounce back with failure in GMAT and B-school rejections ?? [#permalink]
Consider mentioning/including the schools you're interested in. Ultimately, deciding on whether to do an MiM or an MBA could help when it comes to structuring a path forward. For specific suggestions regarding the GMAT, providing a bit of a history about the prep you've used/done and where you feel your issues lie could also be helpful. Was the 420 on the Online similar to the scores you received on your last 2 Official mocks, for example?

-

SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 614 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
tejashendre wrote:
I tried for the whole 1.5 years to get done with GMAT but in the end, the whole preparation and burnout collapsed on me with an official 460 on the online test in March. I need an expert opinion on how to go ahead with the preparation and the application journey.

Similarly, I tried to get a convincing application with my lowest-than-average score on GMAT but received rejections in the application cycle of 2022-2023.

Now as a working professional with only 5 months into the full-time job, I am not able to dedicate time to restart my GMAT retake journey and try again for MiM at the top B-School as a reapplicant.

OR
I have to wait a lot for more years to apply for an MBA program.

I have attached my profile evaluation link I did previously, to check my profile.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/topic228685- ... l#p3203532

Hi tejashendre, I am an INSEAD MBA alum. I would be happy to have an honest conversation with you about your future career planning (including B School applications). There may be realistic options to consider outside of MiM, such as applying to ISB (PGP/MBA) with 2 years of work experience and a better score.

I must tell you that applicants often overestimate the role of storytelling in compensating for a low GMAT or weak academics. MiM and MBA programs are ultimately analytical in nature, and no amount of storytelling can convince the admissions committee that you can pass in finance-heavy subjects with a sub-500 score. Applying with such a score is not a wise use of an attempt and can convey desperation. Even if you are trying to transition from a stagnant position in your career, it is important to avoid giving schools the opportunity to develop negative perceptions about you in the future.

Feel free to reach out

Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD alum and ex-admissions interviewer)
MBAGuideConsulting
WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/ |LinkedIn | Message: +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC
Hi, I am really sorry Rich and unfortunately, I could not sustain a good consistent prep in my morning daily routine and was stuck with thinking I can try for the school and take time for the retake and did not retake the exam in the last 2 months. Due to my working hours starting from 12 pm to coming back at 12 am, in the end, hastily applied to INSEAD MiM and was rejected immediately, I would be happy if you can provide me with advice so that I can now work and put in the hours to my goal of 750.
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi tejashendre,

When we last discussed your studies, you were planning to take the GMAT for a 2nd time (near the end of April). Did you end up taking the GMAT as planned - and if you did, then how did you score (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores?)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Send PM
How to bounce back with failure in GMAT and B-school rejections ?? [#permalink]
bb I seriously dedicated 7 to 9 hours per day to preparing since last year's June using TTP, but still was not able to conquer the test, I have the goal of getting into the best world top 10 universities, being the first from my bachelor's college. I took up GMAT preparation and in the end, the exam took a toll on me mentally too because I could not see progress. I am still sitting in the same place in the last 3 years of my B-school application journey.

I still have not given up my dream of getting an admit, I am 24 now next year I will be 25 if selected for MiM or any other specialized master's, but an ideal age for MBA applicants.
I have been through worse than not getting the GMAT score, a good B-school applications story about my past journey till today and someday even making it on Youtube for an interview with Evan, From 310 to 750.

NOT GIVING UP anytime soon.
I am revisiting my TTP prep, I have learned from the platform a lot but my skills don't work in the hard questions even after investing more than 700 hours of prep time, MartyTargetTestPrep has constantly supported me in working through the problems using the streaks method.

I will dedicate all my time to preparing for the GMAT and take control of my working hours. Right now I am rusty with my learned skills and will get back in action very quickly.
Send PM
MartyTargetTestPrep
Revisiting TTP to then moving ahead with the streaks method on the weaker sections, I had taken a tutor previously in my country, but could not still progress well ahead. The pressure of the GMAT the ultimate exam had me more burned out as this was the only thing I had been focusing on for the past 2 years, and the tension of not securing a great score and a school both dragged me to my ultimate rejections.
Send PM
GmatTutorKnight
Hi, I was scoring in the same range but only score a 530 once, I did have posts on my whole journey and still not having the necessary improvements, used TTP and I can tell you that I finished the course in 6-7 months completely and then turned to OG guides but was still lacking the skills in the mock exams and I crumbled in all the tests.

My Target schools at this time were INSEAD MiM and I had thought of specialized master's in Strategic Management at HEC Paris,
I want to get into the consulting industry. Do also check out my replies to other experts in the post, I have given an idea about my age and profile.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/scored-460-o ... l#p3178549
https://gmatclub.com/forum/scored-460-a ... l#p3142785
Send PM
MBAGuide
Thank you for reaching out and offering your guidance. I appreciate your honest insights and suggestions regarding my career planning and B-school applications. Now I am at the hard reset phase of trying again in the next application cycle but with a strong GMAT score.

I understand that storytelling alone may not compensate for a low GMAT score or weak academics in analytical-focused programs like MiM and this is exactly what I did this time and made a big mistake and instantly got the rejection, to me GMAT has been the biggest priority since joining gmatclub in 2019. But I finally full-fledged started studying in 2022. I am at this juncture now that I am in a big dilemma if I am anymore a worthy candidate for INSEAD MiM or any other MiM program as I am turning 24 this year and 25 at the start of a program.

I have also added my LinkedIn to see my profile, my goal has been to get into the consulting industry since 2021 but I have got stuck in Finance and other diverse roles related to Venture Capital, e-commerce supply chain and sustainability. I see this as an advantage to get into the consulting domain as the companies work in diverse industries. As per your advice, ISB has never been an interest to me, and mostly I want to get into an international program. I thought of Yale Silver Scholars in 2019 but then COVID happened all things just went for a toss and I tried developing my profile in the last 3 years.

I would be grateful for the opportunity to have a conversation with you about my future career planning and explore different possibilities. If you ask me today I am interested to try again for INSEAD MiM or the HEC Paris Strategic Management specialized Masters, I tried twice for MPS in Management at Cornell but had no luck, was waitlisted both times and was eventually rejected.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
tejashendre wrote:
MartyTargetTestPrep
Revisiting TTP to then moving ahead with the streaks method on the weaker sections, I had taken a tutor previously in my country, but could not still progress well ahead. The pressure of the GMAT the ultimate exam had me more burned out as this was the only thing I had been focusing on for the past 2 years, and the tension of not securing a great score and a school both dragged me to my ultimate rejections.

I see Tejas.

Good effort anyway, and I'm sure you'll succeed in the GMAT or some other venues with that type of effort.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
tejashendre wrote:
EMPOWERgmatRichC
Hi, I am really sorry Rich and unfortunately, I could not sustain a good consistent prep in my morning daily routine and was stuck with thinking I can try for the school and take time for the retake and did not retake the exam in the last 2 months. Due to my working hours starting from 12 pm to coming back at 12 am, in the end, hastily applied to INSEAD MiM and was rejected immediately, I would be happy if you can provide me with advice so that I can now work and put in the hours to my goal of 750.
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi tejashendre,

When we last discussed your studies, you were planning to take the GMAT for a 2nd time (near the end of April). Did you end up taking the GMAT as planned - and if you did, then how did you score (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores?)?

Rich

Hi tejashendre,

I've sent you a PM with some notes and additional questions.

Rich

SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 614 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
tejashendre wrote:
MBAGuide
Thank you for reaching out and offering your guidance. I appreciate your honest insights and suggestions regarding my career planning and B-school applications. Now I am at the hard reset phase of trying again in the next application cycle but with a strong GMAT score.

I understand that storytelling alone may not compensate for a low GMAT score or weak academics in analytical-focused programs like MiM and this is exactly what I did this time and made a big mistake and instantly got the rejection, to me GMAT has been the biggest priority since joining gmatclub in 2019. But I finally full-fledged started studying in 2022. I am at this juncture now that I am in a big dilemma if I am anymore a worthy candidate for INSEAD MiM or any other MiM program as I am turning 24 this year and 25 at the start of a program.

I have also added my LinkedIn to see my profile, my goal has been to get into the consulting industry since 2021 but I have got stuck in Finance and other diverse roles related to Venture Capital, e-commerce supply chain and sustainability. I see this as an advantage to get into the consulting domain as the companies work in diverse industries. As per your advice, ISB has never been an interest to me, and mostly I want to get into an international program. I thought of Yale Silver Scholars in 2019 but then COVID happened all things just went for a toss and I tried developing my profile in the last 3 years.

I would be grateful for the opportunity to have a conversation with you about my future career planning and explore different possibilities. If you ask me today I am interested to try again for INSEAD MiM or the HEC Paris Strategic Management specialized Masters, I tried twice for MPS in Management at Cornell but had no luck, was waitlisted both times and was eventually rejected.

tejashendre Sure definitely reach out to me in this week for a candid conversation. As you have several questions on your mind it is better to speak directly :)
Happy to offer any meaningful advice

Best wishes

Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD alum, ex admissions interviewer)
MBAGuideConsulting
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/ | Message: +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com
GMAT Club Bot