Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:17 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 414 [48]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30797 [8]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1763 [5]
Given Kudos: 69
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [1]
Send PM
Re: In contrast to environmentalists' proposals to limit emissions of cert [#permalink]
Kudos
please let me know in D which include stands for what
restrictions ,call or proposal
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [3]
Send PM
Re: In contrast to environmentalists' proposals to limit emissions of cert [#permalink]
Kudos
Parallelizm : E is right (i think)
In contrast to requires Parallelizm
In contrast to X(proposal), Y (adminstration's proposal) would ...

why E not D, Although D is gramatically not flawed it is wordy. And .."...would cut ..." requires "would" after proposal (again they must be parallel Also it seems to me that "which" in D doesn't have a clear referent (it may be restrictions, propozal)
cheers
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
To me E looks the answer.

A --->incorrect comparison of environmental proposals with administration
B --->incorrect comparison of environmental proposals with administration
C---->incorrect comparison of environmental proposals with administration
D---->"which includes " means that pollutants are examples of restriction (restrictions in on pollutants )
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
apache wrote:
please let me know in D which include stands for what
restrictions ,call or proposal

which stands for restrictions
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [4]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi balvinder,

Thank you for your question. Let's tackle this question one problem at a time, and we'll figure out how to get to the correct answer.

Whenever a sentence indicates a comparison or contrast, the first thing to look for is parallel structure between the 2+ things being compared or contrasted. This sentence starts with "In contrast..." so we know this is a good place to start. Let's look at what two things are being contrasted and determine if they're parallel:

A: environmentalist's proposals / administration
B: environmentalist's proposals / administration
C: environmentalist's proposals / administration
D: environmentalist's proposals / administration's proposal
E: environmentalist's proposals / administration's proposal

Answers D & E are the only ones that use parallel structure, so let's get rid of answers A, B, & C.

Here are the main differences between answers D & E:

D. administration’s proposal was a call for mandatory restrictions, which include
By saying "was a call," this indicates that the proposal called for these restrictions in the past, but may or may not call for them today. It may also confuse readers into thinking this proposal no longer exists. Therefore, this is an INCORRECT answer.

E. administration’s proposal would call for mandatory restrictions on
This is the CORRECT answer because it uses parallel format and uses the clearer verb "would call" to show what restrictions the proposal currently contains.
CrackVerbal Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
In contrast to environmentalists' proposals to limit emissions of certain pollutants, the administration proposed calling for mandatory restrictions of only three such pollutants from power plants-mercury, sulfur dioxide, and nitrogen oxides-and the plan would delay such cuts until 2010 or later.

A. administration proposed calling for mandatory restriction of The "environmentalist's proposals" are being contrasted with "the administration", which is illogical. Eliminate.

B. administration proposed a call for mandatory restrictions, including those for Same error as (A). Eliminate.

C. administration, proposing mandatory restrictions on Same error as (A) & (B). Eliminate.

D. administration’s proposal was a call for mandatory restrictions, which include "which" refers to "restrictions", but the "restrictions" do not "include" the three pollutants. Eliminate.

E. administration’s proposal would call for mandatory restrictions on Correct answer. The correct entities are being contrasted (environmentalist's proposals and the administrations proposal) and no new error is introduced.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
A. Comparing ' environmentalists’ proposals ' to the administration is incorrect.
B. Same as A
C. Same as A
D. 'which' here implies that the pollutants are examples if the restrictions. Parallelism missing -
'and the plans would' requires 'would call for' in the first part
E. Correct
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
In contrast to X ..., Y ... this usage builds on X and Y is comparable. so eliminate option ABC ;
and look for parallelism => proposal would call... and the plan would delay ... ;
further check option D, "which" refers to "restrictions", apparently, "restrictions only include three such pollutants..." doesn't make sense due to "restrictions" themselves is not chemical substances or combined pollutants.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts