Last visit was: 04 May 2024, 06:50 It is currently 04 May 2024, 06:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 891 [0]
Concentration: Strategy - Finance
 Q49  V36
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [0]
Send PM
Quant [#permalink]
According to the weakensses you described, scoring a 40 is not too bad. I too am in the same boat as you. I've also never been too good at Math. My first step was to get the basics down no matter what. But now that i have a good grasp on the basics ( thanks to MGAMT Books) it still takes me too long to solve the problems. At this point, the only thing that has helped me is to keep practicing.
Anybody else have any other suggestions to improve speed in Quant?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Quant [#permalink]
ColumbiaDream wrote:
According to the weakensses you described, scoring a 40 is not too bad. I too am in the same boat as you. I've also never been too good at Math. My first step was to get the basics down no matter what. But now that i have a good grasp on the basics ( thanks to MGAMT Books) it still takes me too long to solve the problems. At this point, the only thing that has helped me is to keep practicing.
Anybody else have any other suggestions to improve speed in Quant?

Thanks ColumbiaDream. I'll definitely use MGMAT books as a resource as I practice more math problems. I feel that the hard quant questions (the last 15-20% of the OG11 and the questions posted here) require a different mindset when you approach them. Much of the OG11 questions were pretty straight forward, and all of a sudden it throws questions at you that require a different set of thinking skills in order to solve.

My plan is to start exposing myself to more of these harder questions, carefully analyze the strategies to solve these questions and redo them, and identify areas where I need to re-build foundation. I personally think that once you're comfortable with these questions (they 'click' mentally) the speed will come naturally.

I'm going to reschedule my test to later in May (originally early May). I'll gauge my progress on both math and verbal during this time. I hope I can hit 46 on quant. Let's keep each other posted since we appear to have same beast to conquer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [0]
Send PM
Quant Speed [#permalink]
I completely agree with your "clicking mentally" theory. Will look forward to hear from you :) Good Luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Send PM
Re: Need help on improving Quant score [#permalink]
I´d say, work it in 2 basic steps (can be concurrent):

1) Get the basics 100% clear.

2) Do harder exercises than those on average tests. As for non-law-english international applicants who practice on and on w/ Kaplan 800 Verbal and the like, U´ll have to do the same with Challenges or some other good (and tough) quant stuff.

All the best
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
this is something like converting a 100 storey building to make it say 110 floors.We cannot get this just by adding 10 floors to the top.you have have to
work from the base !!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
[#permalink]
Quant is really not that difficult as it seems like. You need to be 100% clear on basics and practice some tough maths sets.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Manhattan Review's math book is good too, it's got a list of formulas you should know, a list of vocab they use a lot in math questions and good explanations too.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]