Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 01:51 It is currently 07 May 2024, 01:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2921 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
[#permalink]
i tend to see 2 months thrown around here a lot, usually from really bright people though
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
[quote="botirvoy"]-There are [i]tiny[/i] number of people who score 700+ with around 1.5 m of preparation.
-Many with decent math and/or verbal skills prepare between 3-6m to score up to their ability
-Many people with poor access to quality information (or similar reasons) prepare for 9m+

Read threads in "Share your GMAT experience" section to find out where you stand.[/quote]

Hmm, so perhaps it would not be a good idea to take in mid-July if I'm starting now then! What about if I studied GMAT full-time (no job, school)?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I study 25 hours a week. I started with a diagnostics test and got 2 out 24 correct. Pretty much I didn't know anything. Now I'd been preparing for math portion for about 1,5 months. I'm very close to be ready. So I'd say 2 months for math, 2 months for verbal. I'm taking GMAT at the end of August.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
wow, 25 hours a week. I admire your determination! I'd lose my mind with all that. More power to you, dude.

2-3 months is about right for many people. If you can put in 2-3 hours a night four nights a week and then 5-6 on the weekends, you should see some strong gains.

Don't schedule your actual GMAT until you're at least a month into your prep and have taken at least 2-3 timed practice tests.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
You should take a practice test first, then we can give you a more useful answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, VC
Schools:Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS
 Q47  V45
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sergey_is_cool wrote:
I study 25 hours a week. I started with a diagnostics test and got 2 out 24 correct. Pretty much I didn't know anything. Now I'd been preparing for math portion for about 1,5 months. I'm very close to be ready. So I'd say 2 months for math, 2 months for verbal. I'm taking GMAT at the end of August.

Sergey,

what is your score target?

Thanks,

Roberto
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1107 [0]
Schools:Cornell
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sergey_is_cool wrote:

Nice Sergey... I started very disappointingly. Thanks for sharing your story, I'd love to see you make progresses.

I can see you seriously set your time 25 hours per week. I'd better set my own time too, instead of wandering around like this.

I'm currently working full time at office, 8.30am til 6pm. Sometimes it's really hard to sit down at night for GMAT seriously for 3 or 4 hours... Anyway Sergey, you've inspired me a lot.

I'm planning to take the test early this August. Start counting the time form NOW ON.
:wink:
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
solidcolor wrote:
Sergey_is_cool wrote:

Nice Sergey... I started very disappointingly. Thanks for sharing your story, I'd love to see you make progresses.

I can see you seriously set your time 25 hours per week. I'd better set my own time too, instead of wandering around like this.

I'm currently working full time at office, 8.30am til 6pm. Sometimes it's really hard to sit down at night for GMAT seriously for 3 or 4 hours... Anyway Sergey, you've inspired me a lot.

I'm planning to take the test early this August. Start counting the time form NOW ON.
:wink:

Yeah, I work 55 hours a week(sad part is that it won't count as my work experience), have a very time consuming calling in the church, and study for the GMAT. There are a lot of different techniques people follow, I chose the one that always worked for me: PRACTICE. People say "i studied for 2 weeks and got 760", well it's not me. When I take my practice tests and get a problem wrong, I look at it as "well, I got it wrong on a practice test, and it won't happen on a real one".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Depends on what your studying methods are, and how much you can/need to get done before the test.

Here is what i did:

practice test: 580ish (forgot exact score, it was high 500's though)
studied a little with books for about 2 weeks, signed up for Manhattan review 6 week course
Low 600's when i started the course, 710 on practice test at end of course.
used manhattan review's books, OG, for about a week and a half
took test: 740

by myself i was studying about 3 hours every other day.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]