Last visit was: 22 May 2024, 20:22 It is currently 22 May 2024, 20:22
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am mostly sure that I don't want to do i-banking (looking at inv mgmt instead), but I'm reading The Accidental Investment Banker right now, and it's pretty darn good. The guy who wrote it has a Yale law degree and a Stanford MBA, and worked at Goldman and Morgan Stanley.

Easy to read and follow, and provides a good background of the industry and the day to day work. Entertaining too.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
I read The Accidental Investment Banker last month. It's a pretty good book. It doesn't have the colorful stories of Monkey Business, but it's probably a more accurate account of what life is really like. I'm sure the events of Monkey Business did actually happen, but they are condensed and livened up to make the book more entertaining.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1726 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
[#permalink]
I love Monkey Business.

"equities in Dallas".
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1683 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
[#permalink]
I haven't read 'the accidental investment banker' but I have read Auger's other book, 'The greed merchants'. Incidentally this was just before I joined up Macquarie (the true blue aussie greed merchant). Excellent book, I would highly recommend it to anyone wanting a further insight into how the IB industry has evolved over time to become what it is now.

I have several consulting war stories (IT not management), I guess the work culture in Australia is slightly different to that of America, but the long hours and the deadline pressures, the politics, and the ugly clients remain the same.

One guy started a cartoon strip about the whole thing. It was absolutely hilarious, and absolutely true. Anyone who has worked with the Top 5 IT consulting houses (not just Accenture) can relate to these.

Check out : https://www.bigtimeconsulting.com/

I guess I have been lucky to have worked both for consulting and IB (although IT at both places) I have seen what the work environment is like for the management consulting side of it (at the Strategy arm) and the actual IB guys cutting the deals. I am more disillusioned with the consulting life than I am with IB.

Work life balance is rubbish at both places, at least IB pays better and you don't have to pack your bags at the drop of a hat and be ready to go to some random place with no idea about when you would be back. It was exciting when it started, well over it now.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]