Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 00:05 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 00:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 527 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Wow another 770...its amazing how many of people have gotten the same incredibly high score in the last few weeks. Congrats thats a score that most people would kill to have.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for the props! Now it is on to preparing for the apps and visiting schools.
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Send PM
[#permalink]
Wow
Q51..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 583 [0]
Send PM
Re: 770 (Q51 V44 AWA5.0) my first try!!! [#permalink]
wel done.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
 Q48  V38
Send PM
[#permalink]
well done buddy
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton (R1), MIT (R1), Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2)
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Great score...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hearty Congratulations buddy.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5012 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
[#permalink]
nice! gives me motivation since im 22. lol
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Congrats!!!!!!awesome score...I gave my gmat attempt last month, and didnt fare well..got a score of 480 (Q40 V17) with 2 mon's of preparation..got a 5 on 6 in the essays..very disappointed, coz i didnt expect such a low score in verbal...i did much better in practice tests, i got 580 and 570 in my power preps, dont understand where i went wrong in the real test :( it is ironical that i felt i did really well in verbal and finally thats wat pulled my score really down!!
now im planning to give it again, in 6 weeks, depending on how my preparation goes...would be great if u could give suggestions on how to prepare..looks like i'l have to concentrate on on the verbal sections, but i feel i am very weak in RC, please give me suggestions on how to improve it...thanks........
Manager
Manager
Send PM
specky wrote:
Congrats!!!!!!awesome score...I gave my gmat attempt last month, and didnt fare well..got a score of 480 (Q40 V17) with 2 mon's of preparation..got a 5 on 6 in the essays..very disappointed, coz i didnt expect such a low score in verbal...i did much better in practice tests, i got 580 and 570 in my power preps, dont understand where i went wrong in the real test :( it is ironical that i felt i did really well in verbal and finally thats wat pulled my score really down!!
now im planning to give it again, in 6 weeks, depending on how my preparation goes...would be great if u could give suggestions on how to prepare..looks like i'l have to concentrate on on the verbal sections, but i feel i am very weak in RC, please give me suggestions on how to improve it...thanks........

Early on I found that I was struggling with the RC section. I was skimming the passages and then reading the questions. I would then look back to the passage after I read the question and this just didn't work out for me. I changed my strategy to reading the whole passage and then looking at the questions. I found that I had plenty of time left in verbal and reading the passages didn't really slow me down. I would suggest that you give that a shot.

Some people here recommend reading the Economist, but I do not have any first hand experience to offer regarding the magazine. Hope that helps out.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Congratulations..!!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
forcefeed wrote:
First off, I wanted to thank everyone that posted their experiences on GMATclub. I used this forum as my motivation and knowledge base; there is no way I could have reached this score without the forum.

So now a little about myself:

American born Indian (typical :lol:)
23 years old
2years of Work Experience in large cellphone provider
Undergrad: 3.46/4.00
Purdue Univ. BS Mech Engineering

I started studying for the GMAT on January 1st, my new year's resolution was to score well on the GMAT and I did it with half the year to go. I tried to study atleast 4 hours during the week and 10hours on weekends, this increased the closer I got to the test. I was always shooting for a 710 and never in my wildest dreams did I expect a 770. I hope this helps some schools look past the small amount of work experience.

I ended up going to China for work a month before my test, this really screwed with my studying because it was hard to find time out there to study. Plus, when I came back my SC was shot to all hell and I had 2 weeks before I took the test. I took my test on a Wednesday and took the Mon (study) and Tues (rest) off that week in order to get myself it the right mindset. If you can afford to take PTO, I highly recommend it.

Below are the books I used in order that I went through them.

Kaplan 2006
Good for basic concepts, but it doesn't tell you anything groundbreaking. I would recommend using the PR book for the introduction and completely skip the Kaplan book.

PR Cracking the GMAT
I thought this book provided a good introduction to most topics. I will be recommending this as a starting block for all of my friends that ask about GMAT preparation. They do a good job of touching on most topics, but do not provide enough detail.

Manhattan GMAT (All 7 books)
This is BY FAR the best series of book IMO. Not only do the books provide you with a lot of good information, I found the CATs and online material to be priceless. Everyone here raves about the SC book, but I really think that all of these books were instrumental in helping me achieve my score.

OG11
What else can be said? A ton of good practice problems here. I honestly don't remember too much except for the fact it took me forever to complete :-D.

Kaplan 800
Kaplan800 provides you with a good set of tough questions to go through. I do not think the concepts they present are useful at all, but I put a lot of weight in practice questions, and this book has them.

Practice CATS
I ended up doing quite a few CATs in order to prepare for the test. I thought I would get nervous on the day of the test, but my familiarity with the CATs kept me calm throughout the test. I actually got a little worried that I wasn't worrying, haha.

The GMATPrep CATs are great but I did not take more than 2, I wanted to avoid repeating questions as much as possible. This is where the Manhattan series really came in handy, it comes with 6 online CATs that I thought be just as good as GMATPrep. The quant section in MGMAT is harder than the real thing which I LOVED, I was ready for anything by the time I took the real test. I found the verbal section to be a little easier, but not by much. The predicted scores were also accurate even though there were differences in difficulty from the real GMAT.

Kaplan was horrible at predicting your score, but it provided a lot of good practice. The only reason I would recommend buying the Kaplan book is for more CAT practice tests. Don't pay attention to the score, I was given a 650 one time (Q50 V36) that should actually be a 710 going by the scores posted here, messed up.

Below is a list of my practice tests in chronological order

GMATPrep1 720
Kaplan 1 600
Kaplan 2 600
Kaplan 3 650
MGMAT 1 780 -> should be corrected down to ~730 per MGMAT's score corrections (old CATS slightly inflated scores)
PowerPrep 1 710
MGMAT 2 720
MGMAT 3 750 ->started to get real excited, closing in on test date and scoring well.
MGMAT 4 780 ->getting really excited but starting to doubt MGMAT's scoring validity.
MGMAT 5 730
GMATPrep2 760 -> I'm ready!!!

Tips & Tricks
I have some suggestions for a few things I learned along the way.

SC
A combination of understanding MGMAT's SC book and a lot of practice really helps out.

CR
No real tips here, I don't think you can improve upon CR much.

RC
Try 2 different methods. (1)Read the whole passage, take small notes, and then answer the questions. (2) Skim the passage, create a passage map highlighting important details, answer the questions.

I ended up doing #1 b/c I was finishing verbal with 20mins to go and did horrible with option#2. When I switched to #1, I remembered most details and had a better understanding of the authors intent and general tone. Try out both and pick whichever works for you. This was a quick way for me to increase my score.

PS
Pay attention to all of the details in the questions. For word problems, translate 1 phrase into an equation at a time. I thought the Manhattan series was very good for math also. I did not use the GMATclub challenges so I can not comment on them.

DS
Look at the initial statement, what do you need in addition to that in order to answer the question??? That is the biggest thing I worked on and it helped me greatly.

Also, write down the details that they give you. If it is a positive integer, I would write that down and that helped keep the details in my head. Pay attention to all the details, they can make or break you.

I hope this helps some people prepare for the GMAT, I know that the "Share your GMAT experience" section was the most helpful for me. Now on to the applications!!!

***Edit: I just realized I had my quant and verbal scores switched, Q51 V44***

WEll Congratulations Once again!!
I will really appreciate some suggetions here ..

I wanted to know that have you followed the MGMAT sereis with the basics also (i mean for the strategies ) or just go to the practice section ,to practice more no. of question..?

Have you tried Official guide Verbal And Quant.?

How is the PR book with DVD VS without DVD ?Which one to go for?

Can you kindly tell me lil more about AWA Section?Do you have explain the issues /arguments with examples..Or if you have followed any specific thing?

I thought of doing initially from PR and then go to OG..

How do i ass Mgmat stuff in to my study ..(as far now i have not bought the book SO if you any suggetions )..

Well i also think like if you practice hardest questions afront in your practice then you can get preprare with full confidence Becoz then it becomes easy for you to attempt easy questions at real exam ..

well i dont know i might be wrong but just wanted to share this thought.
So i am thinking to buy kaplan 800 as forceed told here ,that it has a set of hard questions..

Lots of luck with your apps..

tx
Ankita
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Let me see if I can answer everything...

Quote:
I wanted to know that have you followed the MGMAT sereis with the basics also (i mean for the strategies ) or just go to the practice section ,to practice more no. of question..?

I followed the strategies that Manhattan suggested. I thought all of the books were insightful, not just the SC book.

Quote:

I only used the OG11, I did not buy the seperate verbal and quant guides.

Quote:

I really liked the PR book, I thought it was good for introducing a lot of the topics but it is not thorough enough. I bought the one with a DVD, but I never used the DVD.

Quote:
Can you kindly tell me lil more about AWA Section?Do you have explain the issues /arguments with examples..Or if you have followed any specific thing?

I found a set of templates that I liked. I would just brainstorm ideas and then shove it into the templates. I thought I wrote fairly poor essays, but they don't seem to be looking for great literature in the AWA section.

Quote:

Sounds like a good plan.

Quote:
How do i ass Mgmat stuff in to my study ..(as far now i have not bought the book SO if you any suggetions )..

I reviewed all of the books first, had a good understanding of the concepts and then started the practice questions. OG11 was one of the last books I used because I only used it for the practice problems.

Quote:
Well i also think like if you practice hardest questions afront in your practice then you can get preprare with full confidence Becoz then it becomes easy for you to attempt easy questions at real exam ..

So i am thinking to buy kaplan 800 as forceed told here ,that it has a set of hard questions..

I really think Kaplan800 is a good book to use. The strategies aren't strong, but the practice problems are challenging, which is what you need for a high score.

Quote:

tx
Ankita

Thanks, I know I am going to need it!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
forcefeed wrote:
Let me see if I can answer everything...

Quote:

I followed the strategies that Manhattan suggested. I thought all of the books were insightful, not just the SC book.

Quote:

I only used the OG11, I did not buy the seperate verbal and quant guides.

Quote:

I really liked the PR book, I thought it was good for introducing a lot of the topics but it is not thorough enough. I bought the one with a DVD, but I never used the DVD.

Quote:

I found a set of templates that I liked. I would just brainstorm ideas and then shove it into the templates. I thought I wrote fairly poor essays, but they don't seem to be looking for great literature in the AWA section.

Quote:

Sounds like a good plan.

Quote:

I reviewed all of the books first, had a good understanding of the concepts and then started the practice questions. OG11 was one of the last books I used because I only used it for the practice problems.

Quote:

I really think Kaplan800 is a good book to use. The strategies aren't strong, but the practice problems are challenging, which is what you need for a high score.

Quote:

tx
Ankita

Thanks, I know I am going to need it!

Thanks Forceed .. for your diversified answer ,i hope they are gone help me .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 140 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
congrats forcefed
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [0]
Send PM