Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 09:57 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 09:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22081 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72924 [1]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 617 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
haven't used math in more than 15 years, how should I start preparing? [#permalink]

FaresTheMillenial wrote:
­Hello. I have not used pre-calculus or algebra in a long while due to the nature of my work (Media). I would like to sit for the GMAT but I forgot most of my math rules. How can I go about preparing for the GMAT. I know I should not start with mangoosh or keplan just yet. I should refresh my math skills first but how can I know which math skills I am lacking that I need for the GMAT. Should I start with Khan Academy? but where from exactly? Any suggestions or advice for a person who forgot his math? Thanks.

­FaresTheMillenial

Back in the day (2017), for my GMAT preparation I used a lot of the concepts PDFs that were available for download from Bunuel. After brushing up on the basics, I attempted the 26 sets of GMATClub mocks and revisited the mistakes, and areas on which I did not do so well. Those tests, in my case, were the game changer. I am hoping some version of those tests is available now as well for the focus edition, but honestly, I used the resources here on GMATClub for most of my quant preparation

Best wishes
Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD MBA alum, former INSEAD MBA admissions interviewer)
Founder, MBAGuideConsulting 
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/| Message(WA): +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com­
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
haven't used math in more than 15 years, how should I start preparing? [#permalink]
One thing you may find helpful to check out is the gmatclub math guide. You can download it for free as a pdf and there is a table of contents you could use to focus on specific topics (i.e. "Algebra"). Careful to avoid material not included on the Focus version of the GMAT.

GMAT Quant Flashcards­
General GMAT Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Re: haven't used math in more than 15 years, how should I start preparing? [#permalink]
FaresTheMillenial wrote:
­Hello. I have not used pre-calculus or algebra in a long while due to the nature of my work (Media). I would like to sit for the GMAT but I forgot most of my math rules. How can I go about preparing for the GMAT. I know I should not start with mangoosh or keplan just yet. I should refresh my math skills first but how can I know which math skills I am lacking that I need for the GMAT. Should I start with Khan Academy? but where from exactly? Any suggestions or advice for a person who forgot his math? Thanks.

­Go back to basics first, focus on simple arithmetic and algebra then move into the other topics. Read a lot of more in parallel, good luck.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22081 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: haven't used math in more than 15 years, how should I start preparing? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
­Most prep courses begin with the assumption that students have forgotten all the math they learned (ours certainly does). 
So, choose a course that best suits your learning style, and get started. 
Here are some articles to read along the way: 

- GMAT Quant Syllabus
- How to Increase Your GMAT Quant Score: Top 25 Tips
- Improving Your Accuracy on the GMAT
- How to Get Faster at GMAT Quant Questions

Note: Although some articles were written during the GMAT Classic era, the tips still apply to GMAT Focus.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.1
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM

FaresTheMillenial wrote:

­Hi! I think you should just pick up the OG first and go through the concepts. Try to understand the topics that feature in GMAT. Then identify the topics you feel you will struggle with (if it's all the topics, then that's fine as well) as the point is you should know your weak area. Another way is that if you haven't taken a diagnostic test, take that first and analyze it well to understand your weak areas.

These should be your starting points. If you need help in analyzing the test, feel free to reach out to us for a complimentary 30 mins call here: https://ivycrackers.com/general-assessment/ or drop us a mail at hello at ivycrackers.com. In this call, the focus will be on guiding you to analyze the test, then identifying your areas, and eventually help you come up with a strategy.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
It's excellent that it seems like you're studying for the GMAT proactively! You'd be good to start with a refresher since you haven't utilized pre-calculus and algebra in a while. It's true that Khan Academy is an excellent tool for reviewing math concepts.

To determine which particular math areas to concentrate on for the GMAT, I suggest looking over the content outline or syllabus. This will help you understand the mathematical ideas that will be assessed on the test. After you have that list, you may start with the subjects you feel most out of touch with or are rusty on by comparing it to the Khan Academy course offers.

Manya - Princeton Review is a great option for supplementary materials. They provide thorough GMAT preparation programs that address the test's verbal and quantitative components. Their knowledgeable instructors will help you navigate the content and offer tailored support to strengthen any areas where you may be weak.

Regarding a study schedule, I advise setting out regular, consistent time to review math ideas and work on problem-solving strategies. You'll gradually gain confidence and skill if you set aside a few hours each week to work through practice problems and go over important concepts.

Regaining familiarity with math ideas requires patience and consistency, so keep that in mind. When the time comes, you'll be ready to take the GMAT if you're dedicated to it and have access to the necessary materials.­
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
GMAT Focus 1:
695 Q90 V82 DI82
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hi
This is quite common and most of the GMAT courses teach from the basic level. Of all, I found e-gmat to be very good. They focus on the structured approach in every problem [easy/mediun/hard] Applying this skill without using shortcuts will give us the necessary expertise to apply the same in hard questions. solving hard questions is very easy once you master this skill. Do check out their course content and most importantly their approach to any question. I was able to score 100 percentile in Quant only with their help
GMAT Club Bot