Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 11:08 It is currently 03 May 2024, 11:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72998 [1]
Given Kudos: 18906
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Re: Never owned an OG book before. Advice please! [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
It is all good - I have taken my GMAT without holding the official guide in my hand (pretty stupid mistake) so don't feel too bad about yourself.
I would suggest that you not stretch your prep more than 3-4 months and definitely not more than 6 months. Otherwise, you will forget what you learned in month 1. GMAT is not like lifting weights but more like a labyrinth. You have to remember small minute details to eek out a high score and only when you can collectively bring all of these little details to the test, do you get there. Studying over a long period of time is not productive as many people burn out, get complacent, etc. Instead, I suggest finding a 3-4 month stretch and go heavy and deep.

Here is one area to start to make your life a bit easier perhaps if you have not found it already:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/welcome-to-g ... 21677.html
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Very helpful for the advice and the link. Appreciate it!

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72998 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Just noticed you registered in 2017! That's some planning! 💪😂
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I had thought of doing an MBA and then my banking hours kicked in…which pushed me to give up. I am determined this time.

🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4666 [0]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
hughng92 wrote:
Second question: I see a mixed reaction to whether one should buy OG bundle versus JUST the official guide book. Again, if I were to invest, should I get all three books so I can practice make perfect or just one official guide book?

­Hi hughng92,

I recommend the bundle. The price difference is (relatively) small, and most test takers will find the additional official questions helpful.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you friend.

Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65067 [0]
Given Kudos: 431
Send PM
Never owned an OG book before. Advice please! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
hughng92 wrote:
Hello,

I have never purchased an OG book or bundle before. I read through a few posts on here and the general consensus is that the 2023-2024 version is mostly 2022-version with a few new questions added.

First question: If I were to invest in a new purchase today, should I buy:
1. OG BUNDLE (three books: OG, Quant and Verbal)
Or
2. Purchase used OG 2022 bundle

Second question: I see a mixed reaction to whether one should buy OG bundle versus JUST the official guide book. Again, if I were to invest, should I get all three books so I can practice make perfect or just one official guide book?

Thank you in advance!

­I see that most of your questions are already addressed by BB and Ajitesh above so will not repeat.
You can further check out this video which discusses a 6 step approach made for beginners to GMAT: 
https://youtu.be/Q2ItDtZpN7c­
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb — Should I try to take a dignostic test from the OG 2025 when I get it? Or maybe try a diagnostic test on our forum?

Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72998 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
hughng92 wrote:
bb — Should I try to take a dignostic test from the OG 2025 when I get it? Or maybe try a diagnostic test on our forum?

­
You should take a GMAT prep test. 

You should not take a diagnostic in the book for a computer adaptive test. Part of the reason is to get your strengths and weaknesses but another goal is to get your starting point and get a feel for the test.

Don't get me wrong - the OG diagnostic test is helpful but it won't tell you that you are weak in X, Y, or Z or give any kind of feedback except a vague range. (unless of course they change it up somehow but still it is in a book). 

P.S. But you should not get hung up on questions like these. Take both or all of them - it won't hurt you :cool: 
Imagine I told you there is a burried treasure - would you be asking me which shovel to bring or would you throw all of them in or maybe even be so excited that you forget it. Don't let uncertantiy discourage you. The only mistake you can make is not doing anything. Even making mistakes on the GMAT is valuable - you learn from them!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb — thank you!

I read your guide to GMAT post and it was helpful. One of the links you mentioned is the prep test package on mba.com.

This is free: https://www.mba.com/exam-prep/gmat-focu ... tarter-kit —> I will start with one of them as a diagnostic and want to get exposed to taking a test on a computer.

You recommended buying the extra official tests right? https://www.mba.com/exam-prep/gmat-focu ... -exams-3-6
—> I think I will get those if I need to practice more. Kinda expensive. Understood this is an investment but we all know there are existing unnecessary investments so I want to be mindful of what I need and when I need versus buying everything all at once and don’t use them later.

Thanks!

Founder
Founder
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi. There are two free tests on mba.com.
They are a little hard to find.

http://gmatprep.starttest.com

Everyone ends up buying the paid test sooner or later but you don’t need to buy them yet. There is kind of an expiration date on them and you can just buy them when you’re ready to take them. It takes a couple minutes to buy and unless you have some credit card trouble or something else you get the activation right away.

However, the free test is plenty of practice for you because you can take them multiple times and you can probably get six tests out of those two free tests. So don’t worry about test yet 😂

Founder
Founder
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
PS. The best strategy in today’s world is to buy things when you need them. I would not buy ahead. You can buy a bundle (It’s cheaper that way) when you need the test but not at this time.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb what is a butler question? People mention that term a lot on here but not sure what it refers to?

Questions in the OG books perhaps?

GMAT Club Bot