Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 15:23 It is currently 03 May 2024, 15:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 624 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
HEC vs Oxbridge. HELP [#permalink]
MBAGuide sorry for double post. tagging you here. (don't use this forum often) ­
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 624 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Re: HEC vs Oxbridge. HELP [#permalink]

Enclop wrote:
Quote:
 ­

Hi Aanchal, 

Thank you so much for the response. 

I am from South Korea but I was born in Germany and have German citizenship. To be honest from the networking aspect I am confident. I am fortunate to know quite a few people who work at MBB already and am sure I can expand. 

Do you think it would be feasible to lets say work for a tier 2 consulting firm in the UK if I graduated from HEC?­

­Enclop Thanks for sharing about your citizenship. I would say it again that networking is everything in an MBA program. It's great you have connections at MBB who might be willing to provide a strong referral for you. Beyond that MBBs (and other top consulting firms) aren't just fixated on b school brands. If they see potential in you from your first interaction, they will go out of their way to organize interviews. So that is a very good starting point.

Please allow me to add here that your multinational background is an aspect that will get the firms to strongly consider you. (Also why feeder MBB schools tend to be more global) I know I might be deviating a little bit from the topic here, but I am sharing my insights based on consulting recruitments at INSEAD. People with focused industry expertise and/or diversity profiles get shortlisted fast during consulting recruitments. I know people who had ivy league undergrad degrees and had built their careers across popular startups who didn't get MBB shortlists at INSEAD. Tier 2 consulting alumni also didnt get shortlists or did not make the cut despite great case-interviwing skills. They were jack of all trades but had little sector specific focus. On the other hand folks with sector-specific expertise with reputed companies (think manufacturing, sustainability, healthcare, chemical, finance, and so on), ivy undergrads or not, were served shortlists on a platter. I have done a lot of thinking on this and observed some interesting patterns in how MBBs shortlist candidates at B schools. So I just want to say that if you have sector-specific expertise, that will work to your advantage in consulting recruitments. Start building your consulting resume soon, irrespective of the B school.

If you want to consider other consulting firms in the UK, that too would come down to how willing the companies are to sponsor you. What would you bring to the table that they can't possibly let go so easily? I hope you get offers from all the schools you applied to. While making the decision, consider whether you would want to be in the Middle East or the UK and factor that into your decision.

Best wishes
Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD MBA alum, former INSEAD MBA admissions interviewer)
Founder, MBAGuideConsulting 
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/| Message(WA): +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com­
 ­
GMAT Club Bot
Re: HEC vs Oxbridge. HELP [#permalink]
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1130 posts