Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 23:22 It is currently 05 May 2024, 23:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
[#permalink]
However, if you score over 720 and want to re-take, I feel you are wasting your time. Take the time to get involved in the community and work on apps.

Where are you applying?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Some people are just driven and competitive by nature. I know personally I want as high a score as possible so that I know there is at least one portion of my application that is not in question. Its better to be at the top of the 80% range than right at the mean.
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
[#permalink]
Being competitive has nothing to do with this. We are all competitive. I am just saying that there are many aspects to the process, not just GMAT score. If you want to get a 780, then more power to you.

Personally, my wife will kill me if i spend anymore on GMAT. Working 10 to 12 hour days plus GMAT does not make a good marriage.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
"Good enough" is not a term that applies to MBA admissions. Nobody knows whether a 700 or 740 or 780 will be good enough. The applications process is not a yes/no question. For the most competitive schools, you need to maximize each part of your application to have a chance. Even if your score is above the average for a school, there's no guarantee that you will be admitted. A higher GMAT score won't necessarily get you admitted, but it could help.

There are other reasons to get as high a score as possible. The first factor is money. For most schools, GMAT is a key factor when awarding scholarships. I'm a perfect example of this. Also, if you're planning to look for a job in investment banking or consulting, the top employers will all ask for your GMAT score. The prevailing thought is that if you are below 700, you will have some explaining to do when interviewing at one of these companies.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
There's the competitive side of me that wants to get a 770+, but the realistic and practical side of me is telling me that if I get over a 720, I will be happy (I'm applying to top 15 schools). I'm not looking for a job in IB or Bain or companies that will ask for your GMAT scores after I get my MBA, so I think I should be fine.

Of course, it's always NICE to be able to say I got 750+ on the GMAT. ;)
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think we would all agree that 750+ is great and we would all love to see that score and it does help with the money aspect. My point was that you can't just rely on that score and there are many more important factors.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
There's the competitive side of me that wants to get a 770+, but the realistic and practical side of me is telling me that if I get over a 720, I will be happy (I'm applying to top 15 schools). I'm not looking for a job in IB or Bain or companies that will ask for your GMAT scores after I get my MBA, so I think I should be fine.

I need a 720 to get into a top-15 school?! Do I need my GMAT scores to induce p***s envy of the highest degree!? I've got a 710... and think that I did very well considering my not so good prep tests... but all this talk about high GMATs has started me thinking

"Maybe I should retake the GMAT?"

I've got the retake bug!!! Somebody HELP!

kryzak.. now I can't sleep :(
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
adc_away wrote:
kryzak wrote:

I need a 720 to get into a top-15 school?! Do I need my GMAT scores to induce p***s envy of the highest degree!? I've got a 710... and think that I did very well considering my not so good prep tests... but all this talk about high GMATs has started me thinking

"Maybe I should retake the GMAT?"

I've got the retake bug!!! Somebody HELP!

kryzak.. now I can't sleep :(

I LOL'd at this. :-D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM