Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 22:40 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
rrglover: I think you might need a little more extracurricular leadership examples because schools don't like people going back to high school to look for examples.

With that said, UCLA Part time should be within reach, and USC would be closer. I would definitely have Accepted.com or MBA Game Plan give your profile a look over...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey again...

Actually, I didn't make this clear but the leadership example I posted was in college, not high school. I was elected by my teammates to a leadership position on the team when I was playing football in college.

Also, I would like to think that I can cite some of my leadership at my company, even though I'm not a manager.

thanks for the input though.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
true, but college was 6 years ago for you? I think other than the application forms when they ask for college things, most essays implicitly want you to talk about leadership examples within the past 3-4 years of application...
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
ishcabibble wrote:
If you don't mind me asking, what were the circumstances surrounding taking 7 years to complete your undergrad? I only ask, because I took 8 years to finish mine and thought that I was the only one in that kind of situation!

For me, I got married and was working a full-time job and a part-time job for most of my undergrad (the only exception was my freshman year where I was a traditional student). It took me so long because I graduated from Ohio State which is not too friendly towards non-traditional students.

However, I was recently accepted into the PT MBA at OSU and in my application I addressed the issue of the length of time it took me to complete my undergrad. I turned it into a plus, stressing that unlike most other applicants to a PT program, I already have valuable time management skills that would be needed to juggle working full-time while going to school.

Considering that I dropped out of college and continued at 22, it took me a total of NINE years to graduate. I got you beat! :-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Another thing to consider is the company you work for. I noticed that both UCLA and USC part time programs kinda favor applicants from certain companies. For instance, I work at Boeing in SoCal and it seems that anyone here who applies to USC gets in. Regardless of their application. Same thing for UCLA, I know a few of my coworkers who applied to UCLA as their prayer shot and seemed to get in without much trouble. If you go on to Anderson's website you'll notice that certain companies have strong representation. If you work at one of these companies, your chances might be better than you think.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
rusk, where do you find the company represenation?

I think I might work for a company that has strong representation... sweet!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
Considering that I dropped out of college and continued at 22, it took me a total of NINE years to graduate. I got you beat!

Hee! One reason I'm looking forward to B-school is that I finally won't be the oldest person in my classes!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Bah I have both of you beat, I dropped out of college at 21 and didn't go back to finish my BS until the age of 27 (career wise it didn't make sense at the time)....I will graduate with a BS next year (age 33-34) and then enter directly into a FT MBA program.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm not too familiar with the environment for part-time applications, but I think UCLA might be a stretch. Your stats will probably be towards the bottom of their normal range, and your undergrad record (school, GPA, transferring, etc.) is not strong.

I also have some question about the leadership experience that you described. You were elected a leader for your team, but then you quit the team? Unless there's more to it, it doesn't sound very positive. Also, as others pointed out, that was 6 years ago. They are much more interested in more recent and especially professional-related leadership experiences.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
You can see what companies are represented at Anderson FEMBA on the Class Profile of 2009 PDF.

I would put the link up if I could, but because I dont have 15 posts yet it wont let me.

Boeing has 15 employees
Northrop has 10
Amgen has 8
Disney has 7
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
thanks rusk, good to know:

https://www.anderson.ucla.edu/x17953.xml
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well...

I actually have had a lot of success at my company in the last 4 years. I've been promoted twice and have been the technical lead on two extremely important large projects. I also think I can get steller letters of recommendation from both my boss (who is a director) and others.

So, it isn't like I've been doing nothing since graduating. Nevertheless, you may be right that Anderson may still be a stretch.

Anyway... I didn't want to use this forum to put my resume on the chopping block. I was just curious what people thought my chances would be.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
well, it's hard to tell you what your chances are if you don't give us a complete profile of yourself... check some of the "Ask Accepted.com" and "Ask MBA Game Plan" boards for the detailed profiles some people give, and the more accurate replies on what their chances are :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
rusk521 wrote:
Another thing to consider is the company you work for. I noticed that both UCLA and USC part time programs kinda favor applicants from certain companies. For instance, I work at Boeing in SoCal and it seems that anyone here who applies to USC gets in. Regardless of their application. Same thing for UCLA, I know a few of my coworkers who applied to UCLA as their prayer shot and seemed to get in without much trouble. If you go on to Anderson's website you'll notice that certain companies have strong representation. If you work at one of these companies, your chances might be better than you think.

that's great to know, I also work for a strong representation company (NGC)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yeah my GMAT and GPA are not the best. My GMAT is in the 80% range and i have about 3 years (out of 11) of management experience. I am hoping that management experience will help my application.

Put it in a few weeks ago and now sitting tight with my fingers crossed :)
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]