Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 11:05 It is currently 08 May 2024, 11:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
shmegs wrote:
Ok, WOW...that is an amazing profile...makes mine look very very weak. ...... There really can't be 1000 guys like him applying to HBS/GSB/Wharton etc. can there?

I hope not. Even if there are, hopefully they'll all just fight over H/S/W and let me get into Chicago/Berkeley/UCLA or Michigan. I don't realistically expect to get into Harvard anyway, but its fun to take a shot.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Its good to be humble because when you show up at a top school there are going to be all types of people. People whose profiles are very impressive but they are down to earth. People who are stars and know it but also make sure everyone else knows it. People who don't appear impressive on paper but once you see them at work you can tell they are the best of the best at school. Going in with a big head is asking for trouble. That kid who is a star and lets you know it, is going to be the one everyone makes fun of behind his back. No one likes to be around that cocky person that lets you know he is more accomplished than you.

Judging by this boards success last year most everyone applying here will get into at least one of their top choices. There will be people who get into HBS, Columbia, GSB, Kellogg, MIT, Wharton, Tuck, Darden, Duke, Michigan, NYU, and hopefully someone gets into Stanford this year. Some posters off this board whose profiles amaze you might be your classmates or you may compete against them at MBA events down the road. Networking is very important at B-school and being that down to earth friendly guy everyone likes personally is going to build a lot more bridges than being the greatest person showing up if you don't have the personality to match your accomplishments.

It probably is going to be intimidating to show up the first day knowing some of your classmates are going to have accomplished a lot more already than you have. One advantage of this site is, most likely someone from here is going to be your classmate so you have a leg up with knowing people already when you show up.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
[#permalink]
i would rather be at a school where i am one of the lesser accomplished students, because then i would have more to gain working alongside the stars at the school
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
This is a very good thread. thank you all. I think forums like this one and BW definitely serve to increase such awareness. However, comparing ourselves to others is only useful in some ways and is only healthy up to a certain point. Though this is really obvious, I think we have to be careful not to want to become someone else.

A lot of this is just intangible; there will be lots of peer pressure to accept a high paying job. The tougher ones amongst you will take a non-traditional path that you really like. How you balance your financial needs with your personal wishes will be your test.

Here's to Cliche Fridays: What would you do if you were not afraid?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Great thread. I agree with what riverripper said.

One thing that works for me is when I find myself in a group of highly accomplished people. I learned to be a lot more humble and down to earth when I was around some amazing people who had such a beautiful understanding of life.

Similarly every time I am around brilliant people that overwhelm me, after a while I find myself doing just as well as them (And sometimes better). And then, destiny moves me to another group of people who overwhelm me again .. and the cycle repeats. I think this is a large part of how I've grown in the past.

So, as dabots said, I like it when I am among people who are more accomplished than me or who overwhelm me.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
Great thread. Probably my last one before I leave this weekend.

I fully believe in the value of humility. Maybe because it's my Asian upbringing, but there really is no reason to boast. If you're good, people will find out somehow and "boast" for you. Since we're all human beings, no one likes to be around someone that makes them feel inferior all the time, so you'll make no friends if you're not modest and humble.

I've met more than my share of people from Harvard/Yale/Princeton or MIT who think they're "all that" (no offense to the humble H/Y/P/M people!), but when we take a class or work together, I out do them.

Some people may have better accomplishments on paper, partially because they're really smart and able, but also partially because they were in the right place at the right time. It doesn't mean much to compare against those accomplishments and conclude that you're inferior or otherwise. Just get to know the person, learn from him/her, and hope that they learn from you too.

I'm totally looking forward to b-school, especially if everyone there is top notch like the friends I've made here on GMATClub! I LOVE YOU MAN (OR WOMAN)! ;)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 309 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
[#permalink]
I know an applicant who is a Guiness record holder and an Arjuna award winner. What blows me away about him is his humility despite his tremendous achievements.

I sincerely hope that he gets into his TOP choice school this year.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
ncprasad wrote:
I know an applicant who is a Guiness record holder and an Arjuna award winner.

:shock: ... I guess I should apply in 2009 then :(

Okay, now bring me those hot-dogs. What's the running guinness record on the number of hot dogs that one can eat at one time?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
mNeo wrote:
ncprasad wrote:

Okay, now bring me those hot-dogs. What's the running guinness record on the number of hot dogs that one can eat at one time?

Something like 55 in 10 minutes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
jjanders wrote:
mNeo wrote:
ncprasad wrote:

Joey Chestnut broke the world record at the Coney Island competition this year...66 in 12 minutes. Thats just a freak of nature right there and the guy isn't even that big.

Don't ask me how I know this, I just retain absolutely pointless information but somehow manage to forget lots of stuff I should remember.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
[#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
jjanders wrote:
mNeo wrote:
ncprasad wrote:

Joey Chestnut broke the world record at the Coney Island competition this year...66 in 12 minutes. Thats just a freak of nature right there and the guy isn't even that big.

Don't ask me how I know this, I just retain absolutely pointless information but somehow manage to forget lots of stuff I should remember.

it was impressive how quickly he caught up to kobayashi who everybody thought was untouchable
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
dabots wrote:
it was impressive how quickly he caught up to kobayashi who everybody thought was untouchable

from my recollection, kobayashi didn't lose by much. he also was playing injured. i wouldn't be surprised if he beats chestnut next year; i'm not so sure he'll break the record tho.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Any guiness records for sleeping the longest time? With the heat in LA, that will be my goal..

I really respect the awesome folks both at GMATclub and in the real world, but what really gets the top notch respect among all you regular GMAT clubbers is your genuine humility and sincerity in helping each other out.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
aviroop wrote:
Any guiness records for sleeping the longest time? With the heat in LA, that will be my goal..

I really respect the awesome folks both at GMATclub and in the real world, but what really gets the top notch respect among all you regular GMAT clubbers is your genuine humility and sincerity in helping each other out.

sleeping for the longest time?

You and me -- anytime, any place.

[edit] hmmm, that doesn't quite sound right. I guess all the more reason to revise essays over and over :oops:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
kidderek wrote:
aviroop wrote:

[edit] hmmm, that doesn't quite sound right. I guess all the more reason to revise essays over and over :oops:

LOL!!! I didn't catch the double-meaning of what you said until you aknowledged it yourself :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Schools:MIT Sloan
 Q50  V37
Send PM
[#permalink]
nervousgmat wrote:
kidderek wrote:
aviroop wrote:

LOL!!! I didn't catch the double-meaning of what you said until you aknowledged it yourself :-D

ROFL
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]