Last visit was: 23 May 2024, 07:09 It is currently 23 May 2024, 07:09
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 561 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1272 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks guys, :-D

I appreciate the heads up...

Killer, thanks for your compliment from the other post (math exponent explanation).. now if I can improve all areas of my math! heh heh...

Vineet, thanks for the tips, I appreciate it..I hope to get a great Q score like you! I read your post, found out you also took your GMAT yest with less than stellar results...As far as verbal goes, along with doing questions, here's something you should do... Make it a daily habit to read a high level journal or newspaper.. For example, read the Wall Street Journal online (wsj.com), read the Economist magazine, or online (economist.com)... Even though your scores on practice tests were good, the GMAT also test your familiarity with normal conventional English... I would highly advise getting into that habit, so you'll subconsciously "soak" in high level written English (most similar to what you'll see on the RC portion).. but most of all bro, don't get so down.. Life isn't over.. A great score or bad score doesn't mean much if you don't have the fight, (if you're familiar with Hindi, then you'll know what I mean by Himat)... It's more true in business than in any other discipline.. If you have someone who scored a 570 and someone who scored a 750.. If the 570 individual has more drive and himat and refuses to accept the obstacles in his life.. then he'll be much more successful than a 750 person with a "take life as it comes" mentality... Keep it up brother.. You will succeed... YOU have to believe it though...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1272 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks a lot AK79...I will retake the exam...try and relax this time round...come what may...Ya and this time I won't attach much importance to the score...It can't get any worse than this :)...I'll never lose hope...I promise.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Taken a few days off... Ready to get back into GMAT mode.. [#permalink]
So, I've taken a few days away from GMAT... Been doing alot of thinking and reflecting... I don't think I was as dedicated as I could have been my first time around... So here we go again... God willing, I will succeed... I have to.. There is no way out... Who wants to help me get my quant up!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:CBS, MIT, Kellogg, Wharton
Send PM
[#permalink]
Great verbal score. Your problem may be that you don't have a good grip on the basic quant concepts. So this should be a main point of consideration, imo. Have you considered MGMAT's math books? They did a pretty good job with their SC book and if their books on quant are even half as good you may find them really helpful. Or you could just take a prep course?

Once you get the basics down, I'd suggest that you redo OG and... do some Challenged.

Good luck and keep your head up
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Re: And we have a 570... =( [#permalink]
AK79 wrote:
:(

Hey guys,

Just got back from the test center... 570... 31 Q / 39 V..

I know I can do better, I was getting consistent 640-660 in practice exams...

My Q score can use a huge improvement... the stakes were very high for me, as I needed a very high GMAT to offset a low undergrad GPA (family illness, working, putting myself through school)...

Well... I'm not completely despondent... However, I am not happy..or satisfied... I did want to thank everyone on here for their time and help though...

I need to regroup, refocus, and try again... And advice on how to improve my quant (I thought I was doing well in the practice exams..) A little background, first generation South Asian American... Have been in B2B sales for over 5 years now... so rejection isn't something new... I just expect more from myself.. ya know?

Thanks for reading guys and dolls.. Look forward to any advice and help..

Btw- sorry if this really brief, but my brain feels like mush right now...

:)

Do as I did, FACE YOUR FEARS. You have a pretty similar balance that I had at the first time, only that I had a better Q than V.

If you can get a V39 and revamp your Q to something around 40 you would get a score around 650 and that's a score that would put you to fight some good schools.

Start doing a "error log" see what you can improve: algebra, geometry, DS? Do as much exercises as you can, and have a positive attitude. The GMAT is a beast that wants to scare you, you need to make the other way around.

Good Luck next time.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
:shock:

It's been a while since I've posted on here... things have been 'hectic' to say the least..I landed a new job which I thought was amazing, until I was let go last week due to 'downsizing'... With that, I am back in GMAT Prep mode... I wanted to thank all you guys for your good words and encouragement.. I haven't checked in to see how everyone is doing in their prep, but I hope everyone's goals are being met..

Now I had another question for my GMATclubbers... As far as Challenges go... Given my previous Q score.. should I just focus on doing all the OG problems perfectly first, then get the Challenges? Or do the Challenges now, face even more frustration, but have comfort in the fact that i'm in Quant bootcamp if you will with the Challenges.. and my performance will automatically improve with practice and exposure to the hardest questions?

Thanks again everyone... There is so much that I want to say... from a personal perspective.. the GMAT and the role in admissions.. and the need for an MBA in today's market and economny..either that or your own business... which is the plan one day.. but need the MBA to build up some capital reserves first.. :? eh.. feel all on my own most days.. not a good feeling... :( but have to keep pushing.. and pushing.. and pushing...

I was reading something the other day..and it really stuck a chord with me... It doesn't take much to make alot of money... A person's true character.. and indicator of success... is that can you make it all back once you've lost it? I'm in that struggle right now.. have lost alot of things.. personally and financially...but going to keep coming back and coming back... after all, if you're at the bottom, what do you have to loose anyway?

yikes :shock: went off on a bit of tangent.. .strange though.. .I have a feeling that a good number of you on this board can relate to what i'm saying...

hope all are well.. look forward to thoughts and comments..

Cheers all... :-D

AK
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Welcome Back!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator: