Last visit was: 04 May 2024, 08:31 It is currently 04 May 2024, 08:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Organization and Management
Schools:Emory class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
 Q49  V44
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
I know Stanford, Haas, and UCLA all give merit based scholarships, but the actual numbers I don't know. I would like to find out more if anyone knows.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
emoryhopeful wrote:
So, if Cornell gives approximately 25 full rides, and there are approximately 250 enrolled per year (252 for class of 2008), then 10 percent get full rides. Is this a number that could be considered normal for MBA programs? Or is this out of the ordinary and above normal standards?

Kryzak alludes to Cornell's Park Fellowship, which is a free ride plus stipend plus nice perks. BTW - it's only available for US citizens, so the percentage is better than 10% for you Americans. But sadly, it's 0% for folks from other places.

The Park Fellowship is a pretty special deal, and part of Cornell's strategy to be a BIG BAD BUSINESS SCHOOL. They wave money in front of the students they really want - women, minorities, high gmat scores, who knows what, exactly. I would say it's special to Cornell. (Disclosure: I was a finalist and then waitlisted for the program. Notice I'm now at Duke.)
Current Student
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:
emoryhopeful wrote:
So, if Cornell gives approximately 25 full rides, and there are approximately 250 enrolled per year (252 for class of 2008), then 10 percent get full rides. Is this a number that could be considered normal for MBA programs? Or is this out of the ordinary and above normal standards?

Kryzak alludes to Cornell's Park Fellowship, which is a free ride plus stipend plus nice perks. BTW - it's only available for US citizens, so the percentage is better than 10% for you Americans. But sadly, it's 0% for folks from other places.

The Park Fellowship is a pretty special deal, and part of Cornell's strategy to be a BIG BAD BUSINESS SCHOOL. They wave money in front of the students they really want - women, minorities, high gmat scores, who knows what, exactly. I would say it's special to Cornell. (Disclosure: I was a finalist and then waitlisted for the program. Notice I'm now at Duke.)

How do you like Duke? What are the scholarships like at Duke. I am applying there, hopefully R1. I'm asking about the scholarships because I'd like to go to the best school that will give the most money. If two schools are nearly the same, I'm definitely going where the money is.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
emoryhopeful wrote:
aaudetat wrote:
emoryhopeful wrote:

How do you like Duke? What are the scholarships like at Duke. I am applying there, hopefully R1. I'm asking about the scholarships because I'd like to go to the best school that will give the most money. If two schools are nearly the same, I'm definitely going where the money is.

I can't give you any overriding info on scholarships - that info might be on the website.

I was in your shoes - I was, in part, following the money when I came to Duke. I got the same amount (roughly) from UNC, Cornell, and Duke, but Duke offers a loan repayment assistance program. They essentially pay most of your payments for you, provided you work in nonprofit or gov't.

I don't know how possible it is to figure out which schools are the most generous. We talked about it a lot last year, and some schools disclose specifics and some are very general.

Duke is treating me pretty well. I have good days and bad, but it's a good place, I'm meeting good people, and haven't yet regretted my decision! Ask me during finals.
Current Student
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat - Can you post your stats, so that I can see what it takes to get into Duke?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think you can search aau's stats using the search function. :)
Current Student
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
Never mind, I found them. Sorry, I was being lazy.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
I know Stanford (...)give merit based scholarships.

I thought Stanford's scholarships were need based only?

L.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
Darden gives out quite a few full tuition merit scholarships, and a whole bunch of 1/2 tuition scholarships. I think most schools will dole out $10-20k to people they want to attract, but some schools are definitely wealthier than others.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
lepium wrote:
I thought Stanford's scholarships were need based only?

L.

Stanford has a "Partners for Diversity (P4D)" scholarship that you have to write a 500 word essay for. I'm debating whether to do that or not...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Just confirmed today, Kellogg gives out merit and merit/need based scholarships. Apply R1 if you want to get them.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]