Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 20:34 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 20:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
[#permalink]
It does not necessarily mean that you need to be the "official leader" to be able to show leadership abilities.

Try to think of a situation/s (may be a meeting) where even though you were not the "leader" but still you managed to influence the outcome of the situation (or meeting). You can talk about how you got your point across, how you convinced the others about your view.

May be during your community activities you taught some people or mentored someone at your bank. That is leadership !

Hope this helps !!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
sumande wrote:
It does not necessarily mean that you need to be the "official leader" to be able to show leadership abilities.

Try to think of a situation/s (may be a meeting) where even though you were not the "leader" but still you managed to influence the outcome of the situation (or meeting). You can talk about how you got your point across, how you convinced the others about your view.

May be during your community activities you taught some people or mentored someone at your bank. That is leadership !

Hope this helps !!

it does... a lot.. :)

thanks.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Personally I think that accomplishing a goal you set, by leading your peers and superiors to do something that was your idea can make a better example than if you are someones boss and accomplish the same thing. By leading from a subordinate position you are truly having to use leadership skills because you can't really rely on a fancy title and your authority.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
How about if I identified a decision, and convinced the team to follow the decision? It was a hard decision, and everybody was initially against it, however, I made the right decision. Would that show leadership?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am in a similar position because my main work experience was at a VERY small consulting firm - 4 people. It was more of a team and no one person was ever really the "lead". So when it comes to "leadership" questions, it's hard for me to pick a work related topic.

However, I am very active in martial arts and am one of the senior guys there, and as such I often lead warmups at the beginning of class and instruct newer guys while the "real" instructor works with the more experienced guys. In addition, I am known as the "cardio" guy because when people spar with me they know I will work them hard and push them to go longer than they have before, which helps them increase their conditioning and skill, and because of this I am very respected and well liked. This is the kind of thing I plan on writing when it comes to leadership/making others better essays, plus I think the martial arts angle will be different/unique.

I'm not sure if it will hurt that I pick that and not a work situation....thoughts?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Just find the best experience you have that answers the question, whether its work, volunteering, team...though having it be more recent probably helps.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
As long as it's recent (within 3 years), make sure you have a good BALANCE between work and outside work examples. If most of your other essays will be about work, then make the leadership one be related to a non-work activity, and vice versa.

My Haas essays are broken down into the following in terms of work/non-work:

Short answers:
1: Non-work (NW)
2: NW (but related to company)
3: NW (but related to company)
4: N/A

Long Essays:
1: Work
2: Work

Optional:
1: NW
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm interpreting the question as "describe an instance when you exhibits leadership qualities/skills". Using an example of reviving a dead project, and rebuilding the team from the ground up. I thought it would be better to focus on a work related example rather than an outside ex.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q48  V39
Send PM
[#permalink]
And what do you think about an advice at one of the Admission Consulting website that offers to show both strong and weak points in this essay. When I take different examples, that show leadership, it becomes quite hard to find what were my weak points - I took the lead and struggled the situation to a great outcome...
Also, am stuck with the what could be the leadership areas and how they could improved during the education. Any ideas?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I don't know about emphasizing weak points but the question asks you to ID what areas you need to improve and why. So in a successful situation there is always going to be something that didn't go perfectly ID that and talk about the reasons behind it. Then show what you need to improve and how you can accomplish that.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]