Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 12:01 It is currently 06 May 2024, 12:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I can relate to your confusion. While I agree that the future is uncertain, I think it is always going to be the case- the only difference is it is being spoken about a lot more. Inspite of the uncertain future, particularly in the financial services industry, I heard from multiple Chicago GSB students that banks are coming back a second time around to campus to hire.

I am more concerned about the increased competition from the bankers who are losing their jobs or are worried about the uncertain future and hence applying to schools now.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ya those b#@@#ards just made tons of money with their fabulous 2006 year end bonuses and now want to make our lives miserable.

and I just hope B-school realizes their desperation and gives our desperation a higher priority.

Else it viva la Mexico - they have arrested the top drug lord and I am sure there are some positions there I can apply for.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
Re: Are we applying for B-school at a right time [#permalink]
aviroop wrote:
I have been catching up on a lot of reading stuff these days and suddenly feel that the future is uncertain, especially I if will be graduating with a B-school degree, and get a job at McDonalds or as a gas station attendant in a NJ turnpike pump with 200 grand in debt.

You'll find prasad at a McD, kryzak at a pump on 'I-5 South' (He's gotta stay in Cal) and me at NJ turnpike (I've gotta stay at east-coast). You, my friend, will be a bouncer at a "Gentleman's club".
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Damn.. I thought I would be a pimp in a small alley in Soho..I can live as a bouncer..
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
:) Avi might a little small for a bouncer but yeah he would make an awesome pimp :lol:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
mNeo wrote:
aviroop wrote:
I have been catching up on a lot of reading stuff these days and suddenly feel that the future is uncertain, especially I if will be graduating with a B-school degree, and get a job at McDonalds or as a gas station attendant in a NJ turnpike pump with 200 grand in debt.

You'll find prasad at a McD, kryzak at a pump on 'I-5 South' (He's gotta stay in Cal) and me at NJ turnpike (I've gotta stay at east-coast). You, my friend, will be a bouncer at a "Gentleman's club".

If not McK, McD will do fine. Thank you very much!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm getting the opposite signals right now. Most 2nd years have solid offers from their summer jobs and are taking the time to exhaust the chances of getting their dream-dream jobs.

L.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [0]
Send PM
ncprasad wrote:
If not McK, McD will do fine. Thank you very much!

Free happy meals!!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Since I am not aiming for a job in IB or even MC I am not too worried, even if I was I don't think I would be too concerned. I would be much more concerned about the visa issues if I was an international student...thats where the real problems could be in the future if the government doesnt get their act together.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am on the same boat as river. I am not in this thing for a job. I have a fairly defined career path and some good connections in the industry I want to work. So, its no biggie.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
LOL, I'll be on the I-5 just outside Tijuana ;)

Anyway, I graduated and was looking for a job during the worst job market in decades (2001, right after 9/11), so unless the 2nd Great Depression hits, I'm not too worried.

Also, my career path is entrepreneurship or VC either domestically or internationally, so if the US tanks, I can always go to China.

But seriously, Avi, I think it's just application-olitis hitting you. Don't worry too much about the future that you cannot control. If we graduate out of a top 15 school, our connections and education should get us somewhere, even if it's not the perfect job at first.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
[#permalink]
Economy can't go down for ever, it's fluctuating => in 5-10 years it can go up back. Why worry? :) Even if everything that bad you wait 4-5 years and get a decent job in new economy. The thing that we should really worry about is that we have oil and gas for 15-20 years for supporting increasing demand for fuel and there should be another change in basement for our economy. This could to change of the powers countries have and raise some companies while sinking others.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
aviroop wrote:
With all the doomsday sayers going tra-la-la-la, BW reporting about how UBS got whacked, some Indian derivatives guru crying 'wolf' and hearing about lots of I-bankers getting pink slips, is it the right time to go to B-school now?

Honest - I am frustrated and annoyed enough by people two years away from recruitment getting all shaky about this.

If you are good, they will want to recruit you. If places cut staff, they cut expensive staff. And in two years time I might be relatively well paid, but I certainly won't be expensive.

It isn't worth worrying about much unless you are a prop trader, or MBS trader obviously.
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Own Kudos [?]: 411 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
 Q48  V34 GMAT 2: 740  Q49  V42
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think MBA from a top school is a kind of cushion to take up Economy's ups and downs over a life time..
Director
Director
Send PM
3underscore wrote:
aviroop wrote:
With all the doomsday sayers going tra-la-la-la, BW reporting about how UBS got whacked, some Indian derivatives guru crying 'wolf' and hearing about lots of I-bankers getting pink slips, is it the right time to go to B-school now?

Honest - I am frustrated and annoyed enough by people two years away from recruitment getting all shaky about this.

If you are good, they will want to recruit you. If places cut staff, they cut expensive staff. And in two years time I might be relatively well paid, but I certainly won't be expensive.

It isn't worth worrying about much unless you are a prop trader, or MBS trader obviously.

Your annoyance and frustration has been taken note of. I usually tend to frustrate people a lot - one of my strong points. :wink:

On a serious note, I agree that I am thinking too much into the future or getting too concerned about nothing, but when three of my best friends who work in IB are now twiddling thumbs and calling me!!! for a job.. its something that made me sit up

There is always Mexico.
GMAT Club Bot