Last visit was: 06 Jun 2024, 00:50 It is currently 06 Jun 2024, 00:50
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 701 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
[#permalink]
good event. great to meet rhyme, nervousgmat, forcefeed, riverripper, and dosa don.

met tons of current students that were extremely helpful
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3086 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
It was great meeting all you guys (and gals). I hope you had some fun and I'm sorry I didn't find you guys at lunch (i looked for ya)...

Funny story: Two other prospectives and I chatted later in the day. One guy was very concerned about the TOEFL and he didn't know what a GMAT was. The other guy, who looked much older, didn't say much. The older guy offered me his business card, but hte younger guy didn't.. I thought that was a little, well, strange... but whatever.

Then the younger guy asked me why people seemed "so old". I told him i thought the average age was 26 or 27, and he was shocked. Finally, I figured it out... he didnt know the GSB was a masters program..... he wanted to come to the US for a bachelor's degree. Thats why he thought people were so old... and thats why he didnt have a business card - he didn't work. The guy who gave me a card was, almost without a doubt, his dad.

With competition like this, you should all be admitted easily :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 701 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
that is a good story! Haha, I hope all the competition is this easy!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 266 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I kind of feel bad for them... Rhyme, were you able to explain to the two of them that there is a difference between a graduate and an undergraduate school?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
nervousgmat wrote:
I kind of feel bad for them... Rhyme, were you able to explain to the two of them that there is a difference between a graduate and an undergraduate school?

They understood immediately - they just didnt know the GSB was strictly a masters program. They must have thought it was just a "business school" arm of Chicago.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
It was great to meet you guys and Nervous yesterday. Rhyme, I completely missed you yesterday thanks to the nightmare finding parking yesterday. So reached the session a little late. Did you end up at the LPF last night?

Anyways guessed River (based on his name tag) and ended up meeting up the rest of the gang- pretty cool to put a face to a face.

Anyways - my 2c on the GSB session. Was nice and they did put in a lot of effort to plan it.
1. I did not think the LEAD session was very useful (I am not sure if everyone else felt the same). I think they could used some 2nd year facilitators instead and it would have been more fun.
2. The application review that we did was interesting but the essays were quite ordinary
3. The LPF seemed like a lot of fun- but felt that GSB forgot that they invited some prospectives there. They could have arranged some current students to talk to us or give us an overview there. I saw bunch of prospectives talking amongst ourselves.
4. Harper center is awesome :shock:
5. The adcom at GSB reads b-week forums. Might want to be careful about what you post out there :)
6. Lots of stupid questions were asked (as expected)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
Good feedback. Can I pass it along to them, anonymously of course...

As for the LPF issue - a good point - in everyone's defense, the school never told us prospectives were around, so unless you are a wierdo like me and keep track of stuff like that, no one at the LPF probably had a clue you were not a student.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
Oh and dosa, sorry I missed you :(

Next time.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think a great part of the event that is overlooked by a lot is just getting a sense of who else is applying. Not necessarily to gauge the competition but I am sure that does happen to an extent as you listen to people since thats human nature but to see who might be your classmates. Overall I was impressed with almost everyone there, I didn't run into anyone who seemed clueless about the whole process (rhyme's story is shocking). My general take is the quality of the people is great, from the students I met (both wed and fri), applicants, and the faculty/staff. There was really no one I would dread being in school with, though there were a few who definitely took up far more than their share of discussions.

Through the whole search, I have been impressed with all the schools I have looked at. I think in general people pursuing MBAs are pretty self selecting so it shouldn't be a shock that they are not only talented but also personable.

As Dosa pointed out the essays we reviewed by the "candidate" were not impressive overall. I think that was probably done intentionally but I hope thats an indication of the level they receive. I mean, there were lots of spelling and grammar mistakes. Not to mention all the sentences that were 4 lines long and rambled about nothing really. Overall they just didn't flow well or have a good clear picture. So lets hope most people submit essays like the ones we read.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Rhyme.......are you taking any classes at the Gleacher Center?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think the Gleacher center is for part time MBA programs.

I went there the first time as I was living 2 blocks down the road and they nicely shooed my away. (The receptionist was helpful - she was the one who told me about the bus route - Hyde Park Express to the main campus)
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Rhyme can correct me on this but I believe that though the Gleacher Center is mainly for PT MBA programs, you can attend the classes there as a FT student if you want.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 310 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think lhmcjen attends the U Chic PT MBA program and I guess he is trying to connect with rhyme in case rhyme is planning to take classes at the Gleacher center.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sure you can give them the feedback :) anonymously hopefully :)

Just would like to add to this:
Overall I the program presented a great picture of the GSB. The student panel was very informative as well.

Were you there at the LPF rhyme?

rhyme wrote:
Good feedback. Can I pass it along to them, anonymously of course...

As for the LPF issue - a good point - in everyone's defense, the school never told us prospectives were around, so unless you are a wierdo like me and keep track of stuff like that, no one at the LPF probably had a clue you were not a student.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
i was there too...
great facilities. alumni panel was impressive.
LEAD program sounds great..

riverripper wrote:
Just curious if anyone else showed up today.

Rhyme and 09app neither of whom actually had class today were nice enough to meet with us.

Myself, nervousgmat, forcefeed, and dabots met at 8am with Rhyme and 09app. Dosa Don ended up introducing himself after the event since he was a little late. It was nice putting some faces to screennames finally.

The event was helpful in a few ways but they way too structured for my taste (despite Rhymes feedback last year with the same complaint). I am glad I went to class and for a short visit on wed. with Rhyme, definitely gave me a much better view of the school than the event. There was some helpful info but not much beyond what most people here have heard or read somewhere else.

Highlight for me was our being given an application for a student (not real) and told to evaluate it. They made some obvious weaknesses to show what is difficult for them. The best part was the essays, in my opinion, were not very strong at all.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think you are referring to the student panel :) dont remember an alumni panel
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
dosa_don wrote:
Rhyme can correct me on this but I believe that though the Gleacher Center is mainly for PT MBA programs, you can attend the classes there as a FT student if you want.

You are correct. Some people do, but generally its only when you really want to get a specific class and the only open section is there or if you want to save points and pay less, or maybe you just like evening courses. Some people are just nuts though. I know one girl who has class on Wednesdays from 8:30-11:30, 1:30-4:30, and 6:00 to 9:00. That's a pretty long day.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8