Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 13:39 It is currently 06 May 2024, 13:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
 Q49  V45
Send PM
[#permalink]
ncprasad wrote:
Use the percentile you received. They will verify your score/percentile against YOUR official score report.

I am not so sure about that. Check with GMAC.

When I asked for my GRE scores 4 years after I had taken the exam, the score report showed the lower percentile.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
dabots wrote:
ncprasad wrote:
Use the percentile you received. They will verify your score/percentile against YOUR official score report.

the official score report changes too

Yep you're right, I retook a month ago and the percentiles from the tests I took 2 years ago changed.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
[#permalink]
If you sent your report to the school right when you took the test, you should not face this issue. %change may happen only when you try to send your old score again or retake the exam.

EVen logically, the change in % does not make sense. By definition, GMAT % refers to your relative performance compared to test takers in the last 2(3) years before your test date.

So, tell me how your relative % can change based on performance of test takers AFTER you finished your GMAT.

I would go with the %s on my official score report and not worry about % changes.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
ncprasad wrote:

EVen logically, the change in % does not make sense. By definition, GMAT % refers to your relative performance compared to test takers in the last 2(3) years before your test date.

So, tell me how your relative % can change based on performance of test takers AFTER you finished your GMAT.

Can't agree more, for two reasons:

1) It's a competition. If the avg gmat across the top 15 schools was 750, we'd all shoot for 750 instead of 700.

2) My percentile dropped as well. haha
Director
Director
 Q49  V45
Send PM
[#permalink]
I just called GMAC because I was curious about this too.

Well, it turns out that they do send the new percentiles on the new score reports that are ordered. I am not sure how this would work for schools that you sent your report to when you did the exam.

Either way, 1 or 2% should not matter but reporting the latest on the application should not hurt.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
ncprasad wrote:

Although I understand the definition of the % you mentioned, I disagree with your post. Imagine you had a 90% when you took the test, but you are now actually applying, your percentile has to change. I talked to a manager from my firm and when he took the exam (10 years ago) he made 46 or so on the Q and his percentile was 93%, now a 49 doesn´t give you a 90%!!!!

Originally posted by kwam on 03 Oct 2007, 08:17.
Last edited by kwam on 03 Oct 2007, 08:19, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
I know it shouldn't matter, but I don't want schools to think that I tried to fudge the application.

Plus it looks better to report a percentage point 1 higher.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
gmatclb wrote:
I know it shouldn't matter, but I don't want schools to think that I tried to fudge the application.

How can the school reasonably know that you knew of the percentage change? You're not one of those freaks who laments over the gmat and posts constantly on some forum, are you? Are you?

Freak.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
kidderek wrote:
gmatclb wrote:

How can the school reasonably know that you knew of the percentage change? You're not one of those freaks who laments over the gmat and posts constantly on some forum, are you? Are you?

Freak.

You're right. I'm overreacting. I'll just write a 2 page optional essay and address the potential error in GMAT percentiles.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
gmatclb wrote:
You're right. I'm overreacting. I'll just write a 2 page optional essay and address the potential error in GMAT percentiles.

Are you serious? You are still overreacting. There's no reason for you to write an options essay on something like this. Just post the percentiles that you got in your original report. It's not your problem if percentiles change afterwards. ps, this must be a very typical case for adcoms. They would expect such discrepancies.
Director
Director
 Q49  V45
Send PM
[#permalink]
mNeo wrote:
gmatclb wrote:

Are you serious? You are still overreacting. There's no reason for you to write an options essay on something like this. Just post the percentiles that you got in your original report. It's not your problem if percentiles change afterwards. ps, this must be a very typical case for adcoms. They would expect such discrepancies.

Looks like you missed the sarcasm in gmatclb's post. :-D
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sarcasm is so tough to do on the internet.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
If you read GMAT Score Report, it says:

"The percentile ranking tables change every year, which means that your ranking may change as well. The most up-to-date version is available on https://www.mba.com.

So the percentiles change but I believe your Scaled Score won't change. There should be no impact on your apps since adcoms should understand that there is no point in taking the GMAT again due to this change and your score is representative of you ability compared to the test takers pool at the time of your test. In other words, your score is relative and representative.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
ohhhh ... where the heck was the </sarcasm> tag???
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Concentration: Finance, International Studies (South East Asia)
Schools:Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
GPA: 5 out of 5
Send PM
[#permalink]
I will just report the scores I got in January when I took the test. No adcom requires applicants to check with GMAC's current percentiles and report updated results.

Screw percentile dynamics!

If you have taken the GMAT and decided on your schools, why would you care about those percentage changes, anyways? I am agonizing over my essays right now, and I have long put the GMAT trouble behind me. And so should you.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]