Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 00:58 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 00:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1106 [0]
Schools:Cornell
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I woud definitily recommend going through the OG twice.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 465 [0]
Send PM
Re: WTF?!?!?! [#permalink]
Hi,
I remember your answers in math section, you were doing good. Since you have good skills on both verbal and math (I understand that from the previous posts), and probably the test results that you took before actuall are not close to the real gmat. It is quite possible that it was the psycological state that affected your score.
It may sound againist 'no rush' principle, but this is fact, psycologists have observed that some level of stress is GOOD for the test taker. The reason is that tress helps to concentrate. Actually there is optimum level of stress, too little is just as no good as too much. If you draw a graph with score on the Y and stress on the X, you will get upsidedown U, correlation b/w stress and test performance. In fact, very few people are on the first side of the curve, and thus there is little publication that would say 'raise your stress level before exam'.

It may sound funny. But I have exprerienced it myself; 'too much confidence' sometimes leads to careless mistakes, eventhoug skills are good.

Challanges are defentely good for practice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
bjpenn, you definitely look like you should be scoring a 40 on verbal, not 31. it happens to the best of us so my recommendation would be for you to relax, take a day or two off (playing halo 3 is nice) and then get back into it again. practice timing yourself and keeping yourself comfortable and calm. i think you'll be seeing 700+ next time.

RVD.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
The same happened to me when I took the GMAT for the first except I prepared for a week only and scored a bit better than you.

Its called OVER-CONFIDENCE and trust me that GMAT very accurately identifies your potential and if you have scored 640, you should give atleast 2-3 months in order to imprve your score (I assume that you are looking at 700+).

Unfortunately, over-confidence, too much motivation and extra-excitement only damages your score rather than helping you. GMAT requires consistent work over a reasonably long period of time before you can see any improvements in your test taking ability. It doesn't come overnight and there are not short-cuts unless you are 700+ breed from the first time around.

Hope this helps
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development
Send PM
[#permalink]
financeguy wrote:

It doesn't come overnight and there are not short-cuts unless you are 700+ breed from the first time around.

There is no such thing as "700 breed".

GMATBLACKBELT, prolonging your GMAT study period for too long might lead to a burn-out. So with your strong basics in place, I would say you can give the GMAT again in about 1 to 2 months. All the best!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
KingKREEP wrote:
There is no such thing as "700 breed".

I thought so but was proven wrong when I read so many 2 weeks study 700+ score posts on this forum. I myself scored 680 in my first GMAT attempt with less than 30 hours preparation from Princeton Review and I am not exceptionally good at anything so it's not too hard to blieve that there are guys out who would score a 700 with a week or so of preparation time.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
My friend scored 770 with two weeks of preparation. She practiced from the material that comes with GMATPrep (the Q and V review) and did the two practice tests. Other than that she had no prior experience with CAT format tests. To me, it seems like there are definitely some 700+ people out there that just "get it."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
To me, it seems like there are definitely some 700+ people out there that just "get it."

And then you have people like me, who was never good at math in the first place and hadn't taken a math class in 12 years! Yeah, that pre-calc class I took first quarter of my freshman year in 1995 wasn't going to do me much good, so I pretty much had to learn everything over again. On the other hand, I use reading and writing everyday.

So, I guess my point is that if you are an engineer or someone else who uses math all the time, and considering that most people read and use language all the time (so those SC & RC skills are easier to brush up on), you probably have a heads up on folks whose skills are rusting and falling apart.

Although, I'm sure that there will be someone out there who never took a math class in their life and has a job that requires no reading and writing who will study for 2 weeks and get a 750 just to prove me wrong!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I feel there is too credit associated with the 700+ scorers. Let me chip in with my 2 cents. Whether you are a math whiz or a wannabe NY times editor, you stilll need to understand the patterns GMAT tests u on. GMAT concentrates on tricks and nothing but tricks. That is why you find math whizzes stuttering in verbal and verbal gurus gun shy of maths. More often than not you find ppl who understand the patterns cracking the test. This is irrespective of whether ppl prepared for a few weeks or a few months.

When I started my GMAT preparation, this was the golden rule I observed. please note that I am neither an engineer nor a verbal whiz. Just an ordinary alert joe working in the trenches.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1737 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Wow. Everyone thanks for the plethora of responses. I never expected to get so much feedback.

Just wanted to show my appreciation to everyone.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
GMATBlackbelt,

You deserve much more than 640. I am sure you can do better in a month's time. Your fundas are pretty clear. GMATprep simulates the real exam best. You might be better off doing the GMATprep tests not just once or twice but as many time as possible till you start seeing far too many repeat questions in Quant.

Best of luck buddy & report to us the good news in a month's time.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
[#permalink]
you dont soud or write like an ordinary joe...for what its worth and your humility is admirable..but you are a smart guy..

GMATBLACKBELT: my dear friend..from what i see, you are pretty well rounded gmat test taker..however, i have only seen your abilities on quant and SC..and some CR.. i have no clue how you did on RC..

if you are like me..RC is my nemisis..and will easily bring your verbal score down..

dahcrap wrote:
I feel there is too credit associated with the 700+ scorers. Let me chip in with my 2 cents. Whether you are a math whiz or a wannabe NY times editor, you stilll need to understand the patterns GMAT tests u on. GMAT concentrates on tricks and nothing but tricks. That is why you find math whizzes stuttering in verbal and verbal gurus gun shy of maths. More often than not you find ppl who understand the patterns cracking the test. This is irrespective of whether ppl prepared for a few weeks or a few months.

When I started my GMAT preparation, this was the golden rule I observed. please note that I am neither an engineer nor a verbal whiz. Just an ordinary alert joe working in the trenches.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1737 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well Got my AWA's back... at least these are 5.5's... bah. Gimme 60 more points and il take a 3.5. :P
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Schools:The University of Texas at Austin
 Q48  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey dude, give my [url=https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t53944 debrief thread[/url] a read. I suspect that you might be in the same boat as I was! If so, PM me and I'll help out all I can.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I just took it today and ended up with a v score of 41. And SC was, and is, my weakness.

To work it out, I found that going through the OG Verbal book and simply reading all of the "answers" helped tremendously!

The "instant feedback" received by reading the problem, doing the analysis, then immediately seeing what the correct answer really helped me to get these down. I felt really good during the test that I actually understanding the grammar issues.

Also, for SC I found the Kaplan 800 book to be very good. The questions are crazy hard, but the explanations are very good. If your're out of drilling questions, I hear the Kaplan quiz bank is good too, hard, but hard is good!

Anyhow, SC is what I struggled with through verbal. I'd take the Prep tests and get 10 SC's wrong and all CR and RC correct. I was pissed! Another option, pick up a copy of a "Gregg" reference and study the rules of grammar. I found that to be helpful as well. Finally... I used a grid to help me out.

I'd write A,B,C,D and E vertically down the board then draw a table. On each SC problem, I'd zoom in on the first grammatical error I could find. Immediately, I would scan the questions and put an X next to those that have the error. Simple strategy, but it helped me a ton!

Another thing... read - a lot! If you can get a copy of McKinsey or some other "high end" publications, read them. You'll get a "fell" for what is right...

Good luck! And thanks for your help on the forums. I'm not an "active" poster, but when I have, you've come to my aid right away! Thanks again - best of luck to you!!!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderator:
Founder
37320 posts