Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:01 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1737 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Cool down a bit and start focussing on the areas of "improvement".

You have the confidence and more than that the ability.

So keep working and success will smile at you

All the best!

Originally posted by trivikram on 01 Oct 2007, 20:03.
Last edited by trivikram on 01 Oct 2007, 20:23, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 599 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
shocking..i was expecting u to get atleast 700...u wer doin well in verbal forum..learnt a lot frm ur reasoning(esp CR)..definitely u'll do better next time. u can try 1000cr n RC. may b dat will help. even i m givin gmat again on 11th oct..never give up!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3421 [0]
Send PM
Re: WTF?!?!?! [#permalink]
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
Ok took my GMAT today. Felt calm and confident. but what happened today was totally unexpected... 640... Q47 V31...

I am very pleased with my quantitative since I had to guess on about 3-4 questions, but overall I had thought I did ok. not as good as the score was though.

Verbal... I am speechless. This is my strongest subject and I was totally shocked to see a 31. All my practice CAT's, with the exception of my very first have been 34 V+... in fact my last 3 were 38, 37, 39...

I don't understand it. I wouldn't have been suprised if my Q was low, but my verbal???????? Its so strange.

What sucks even more is that I can't quite pinpoint on what went wrong!
I didn't feel rushed (except at the very end last two questions). I didn't feel anxious or lost. In fact I felt pretty confident on the verbal. The only thing I was somewhat unsure of were the SC's. When I think about it, all the SC's were much different than what I am used to. Unfortunetly I can't be sure...

Well Im taking me next test 1 month from now. I am a fighter so its in my nature to be stubborn and not quit.

I already have some plans on how to improve:

Q: GMATClub Challenges :P (finally can do these now)
Review MGMAT Q books just to keep myself brushed up on the basics.

V: Here is where I would appreciate some input. I can't figure out what went wrong here. I have a suspiscion that I did poorly on the SC's but I am unsure.

SC 1000's and practice on GMATClub.

For CR and RC i don't know what else to practice. I have exhausted the OG and V OG.

I want to thank everyone who did help me to get to this point. Ioiio, Ywilfred, Killersquirrel, singh_amit19, Ferihere, beckee529, laxieqv, and to many others who have helped me to reach this point.

A 640 is not terrible. In fact I think b/c of my Q, and my GPA, I can probably go anywhere minus the Ivy Leauges. I have to admit my first practice test was with Kaplan 3 months ago and I scored a 400... actually I didn't score this. I gave myself extra time and didn't even finish the test. I rounded up to what I thought I would have gotten...

Regardless of a massive point increase, a 640 is not good enough for me. Its not reflective of my true abilities. I know I can do much better (especially on the VERBAL!) and Im going to give it another try!!!

Again, please advise on how to keep my steam going. Motivation isn't a problem, but making sure I use the correct study materials is!!!

Hey man!

You are correct...........you deserve much more than this....!!!!You are an inspiration to many of us on this forum............trust me you are a 700+ stuff.........so finish it off with 700+!

All the best!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey, take a short break and think about the next step. I think your quant is pretty fine, so you can focus more on the verbal side. It could be careless mistakes or sometimes the answers for CR and RC and so damn close you don't know which is which. You might want to try LSAT CR - some swear it's more challenging and can push your CR scores up a little. RC I'm not so sure what else is outside you can try. For sc, gmatclub has plenty for you to try.

Don't be disheartened, from your replies on the forum board, you can surly do better. This is probably one of your odd days.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
 Q51  V38
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hard Luck man... You are a fighter and I am sure you'll come out of this proud very soon.

I still think you have enough room to improve in the quants. Getting a 49/50 in quants will certainly take you a lot closer to the 700 mark we all hope for.

I agree with you in the verbal. I was also breezing through the verbal but I scored a lot lesser in verbal than math. It might be because of the adaptive nature of the test. We must have gotten a lot of the moderate ones wrong to keep getting those moderate questions again and again. I guess we were always in our comfort zone. Probably messed up all our chances to get to the next zone.

The same applies to quants... the more difficult the test seems to be, there are more chances of you to land up with a decent score.

My suggestion would be to work with questions that are in our range. Though MGMAT and Brutal SCs are great to score high 40s, I think the simpler ones like princeton, arco and even verbal sets would be great for practice. You'll see a lot more moderate questions and you'll practice a lot to get these questions in your range right.

Dont worry too much about the "VERY DIFFICULT" ones just yet. Once you start cracking 720-740 consistently, the brutal SCs and MGMAT reviews could be of some help.

But challenges sound like great option because you are only working on a possible 3-4 points. Challenges will definitely help u fine tune.

Just my two cents!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1748 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
i would also have to agree with the others.. you are certainly 700+ material.. this is just one of your off days but you have the right attitude.. now that you've had exposure to the format and nature of the actual test, this may help you prep more for your second try! good luck and we'll enjoy your valuable contributions to the forum once again :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 158 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
It was certainly not your day or may be it is true that GMAT is getting harder!!! Have you tried SETs??? Many people claim that SETs somehow related to actual GMAC questions, but it is unproven. Note some questions there have wrong answers, but one verbal guru (unfortunately not from this forum) provided excellent explanations and corrections to the first 20 sets (out of 31). If you need SETs, please, pm me!!! Take challenges as well!!! Take a little rest or you may burn out!!!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1737 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks guys. I'm happy to hear that my comments for the CR's have helped many of you.

Tonight I took it easy, borrowed my friends xbox 360 and played halo 3 all night :P.

Again, I really think the SC's brought me down, but I can't be 100% sure... so i def gotta study up on everything. I will say I felt kinda uncomfortable w/ the SC's on the GMAT. Its odd b/c I've run back and forth through MGMAT's SC book numerous times.

I also got this one ridiculous RC passage. It was very hard to comprehend. Since I got that passage I thought i was doin very well...

ioiio, im def gunna try those GMATClub sets now.

Brutal SC's I think will be good too. MGMAT, unfortunetly ive pretty much exhausted this resource except for one CAT test (in case today happened...).

Im pretty much down for whatever will get me to that next level and keep me there :P. No more suprises.

O ya one last question. How do I get the GMAT Challenges?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 492 [0]
Send PM
Re: WTF?!?!?! [#permalink]
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
Ok took my GMAT today. Felt calm and confident. but what happened today was totally unexpected... 640... Q47 V31...

I am very pleased with my quantitative since I had to guess on about 3-4 questions, but overall I had thought I did ok. not as good as the score was though.

Verbal... I am speechless. This is my strongest subject and I was totally shocked to see a 31. All my practice CAT's, with the exception of my very first have been 34 V+... in fact my last 3 were 38, 37, 39...

I don't understand it. I wouldn't have been suprised if my Q was low, but my verbal???????? Its so strange.

What sucks even more is that I can't quite pinpoint on what went wrong!
I didn't feel rushed (except at the very end last two questions). I didn't feel anxious or lost. In fact I felt pretty confident on the verbal. The only thing I was somewhat unsure of were the SC's. When I think about it, all the SC's were much different than what I am used to. Unfortunetly I can't be sure...

Well Im taking me next test 1 month from now. I am a fighter so its in my nature to be stubborn and not quit.

I already have some plans on how to improve:

Q: GMATClub Challenges :P (finally can do these now)
Review MGMAT Q books just to keep myself brushed up on the basics.

V: Here is where I would appreciate some input. I can't figure out what went wrong here. I have a suspiscion that I did poorly on the SC's but I am unsure.

SC 1000's and practice on GMATClub.

For CR and RC i don't know what else to practice. I have exhausted the OG and V OG.

I want to thank everyone who did help me to get to this point. Ioiio, Ywilfred, Killersquirrel, singh_amit19, Ferihere, beckee529, laxieqv, and to many others who have helped me to reach this point.

A 640 is not terrible. In fact I think b/c of my Q, and my GPA, I can probably go anywhere minus the Ivy Leauges. I have to admit my first practice test was with Kaplan 3 months ago and I scored a 400... actually I didn't score this. I gave myself extra time and didn't even finish the test. I rounded up to what I thought I would have gotten...

Regardless of a massive point increase, a 640 is not good enough for me. Its not reflective of my true abilities. I know I can do much better (especially on the VERBAL!) and Im going to give it another try!!!

Again, please advise on how to keep my steam going. Motivation isn't a problem, but making sure I use the correct study materials is!!!

Hey chap,
Buck up...
I guess you underestimated Verbal and that is what most folks do.. including me.. See the equation goes this way, if you get 10 wrong in Quant, you are still over 40 but if you get 10 wrong in verbal, the score comes down drastically.. hence the margin of error is very less in verbal..So it is very important to make sure there are no silly mistakes in SC.

RC is another silent killer and most of the people get most wrongs here because of its stealth nature. All of us undermine RC and then face the consequence.. This is also evident by looking at the number of postings in RC on verbal forums..Out of 4 RC's even if you get 1 ans wrong in each of them, there r 4 wrongs and 2-3 mistakes in SC and CR each and you are doomed.. Are you 100% sure that you correctly answered all the Q's in 4 RC's ?If not then there is work for you..

Get up .. Get goin ....
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
Thanks guys. I'm happy to hear that my comments for the CR's have helped many of you.

Tonight I took it easy, borrowed my friends xbox 360 and played halo 3 all night :P.

Again, I really think the SC's brought me down, but I can't be 100% sure... so i def gotta study up on everything. I will say I felt kinda uncomfortable w/ the SC's on the GMAT. Its odd b/c I've run back and forth through MGMAT's SC book numerous times.

I also got this one ridiculous RC passage. It was very hard to comprehend. Since I got that passage I thought i was doin very well...

Brutal SC's I think will be good too. MGMAT, unfortunetly ive pretty much exhausted this resource except for one CAT test (in case today happened...).

Im pretty much down for whatever will get me to that next level and keep me there :P. No more suprises.

hmm... based on the old rules, with your active participation and number of posts, you should be able to access them free... though I'm not sure if that's still the case. You might just want to try it out...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 552 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
ywilfred wrote:
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:

hmm... based on the old rules, with your active participation and number of posts, you should be able to access them free... though I'm not sure if that's still the case. You might just want to try it out...

oooops, good to mention. lets arm ourseves and attach tino. he has not ansered my post yet about getting access. i have been asking him for the last two weeks. not fair is nt it?

Gmatblackbelt what about being an ally in it and make a coalition force to get an access? :) any1 to join, welcome!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think the rules changed. I checked out just now and couldn't get access too..hahahaha.... well, doesn't matter. You still have the math forum to practice with... =)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 395 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Tight your belt again buddy and get ready to enter into arena.
But make sure what ever you planned to practice and could not do , you must practice this time.

You look confident and I believe you just have to pay more attention during practice and during the exam.

I wish you will have a big smile on your face next time when you get your GMAT score on the screen.

Cheers,
Brajesh

Originally posted by b14kumar on 02 Oct 2007, 08:05.
Last edited by b14kumar on 02 Oct 2007, 08:07, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 552 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
ywilfred wrote:
I think the rules changed. I checked out just now and couldn't get access too..hahahaha.... well, doesn't matter. You still have the math forum to practice with... =)

I do not mind following their rules if they post the rules for access now.
WIKI requirements?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey Gmatblackbelt, it is not end of the world. Take good of everything, now you have good experience about how real GMAT goes, how you should bahave and you can probably estimate what questions were difficult for you and more importantly WHY??? So keep it up, and make another attempt, I am sure you will get at least 700 this time!!!

Assume that it was practice GMAT Test to see your weaknesses, and now you know them, so you have better chance than many other first timers (including me) to hit 700+!!!

I am pretty sure you can do that with your enthusiasm.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I feel your pain.

I took it two weeks ago and didn't do as well as I had hoped on the verbal. I got a 640 Q42, and V35.

I was calm and relaxed by the time I got to the verbal, or so I thought, and I had a little bit of time left over and thought I was doing well. I always seem to do well on the RCs, but I must have totally messed up some of the CRs and SCs at the wrong time, which put me in a lower bin of questions. I really don't understand this because I had finished the OG 11 SCs and got about 80% correct on the last 50, which are progressively harder. I felt confident on the CRs also. Oh well.

I am going to retake in a month and trying to study the V more and do the math challenges to hopefully go bigger on the Q.

I think that the 2nd time around sitting at that computer, I will be more relaxed.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 492 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ravshonbek wrote:
ywilfred wrote:

I do not mind following their rules if they post the rules for access now.
WIKI requirements?

I second you that with my full voice.. i have sent umpteen number to requests to Pretorian but haven't got a single reply.. If the rules are changed, Are we wrong in expecting that we will be informed so that we don't keep sending out requests for grant of access ..??????
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37309 posts