Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 06:17 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 06:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
[#permalink]
Great,

Joined the IT workforce in 2000 started with a bust and layoffs. Aiming to move to Finance now .. ditto..
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
I already weathered the dot-com bust here in the Silicon valley, interviewing for almost 20 schools without an offer (while graduating from a good engineering grad school with good grades). Unless the 2nd Great Depression hits, I'm not too worried...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
[#permalink]
i consult for the govt...still going strong here
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
I work for the govt. They almost closed my work a few years ago during BRAC but we were removed from the list. If they dont close the a base its almost impossible to get laid off. Literally it takes an act of congress for layoffs. The only people I find that aren't hardworking (besides the few lazy folks) are those approaching retirement who seem to coast for the last few years.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
[#permalink]
Praetorian wrote:
dare I write the word subprime

It bit me in the behind...my team was doing really well and we came in on Sept 6th and no longer had jobs.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
lanter1 wrote:
Praetorian wrote:

It bit me in the behind...my team was doing really well and we came in on Sept 6th and no longer had jobs.

Sorry lanter1. I am sure its impact was felt most on the average guy. It is a little surprising that the Fed lowered interest rates. Whatever happened to the free market sorting things out for itself. Some one decided that subprime mortages were a good idea and they were wrong. So, why reward such mistakes? I dont pretend to understand the business of interest rates, but I never understood how cutting interest rates prevents the big boys from handing out these mortgages once the good times roll again.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Next time they meet they will probably cut rates again to help prop up the market more. I wont complain it will help to get a better rate for student loans and will make selling my house a little bit easier.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
lanter1 wrote:
Praetorian wrote:

Wow. Sorry to hear that. If you don't mind, I'd like to hear more about what your team worked on and how it was doing well.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
Next time they meet they will probably cut rates again to help prop up the market more. I wont complain it will help to get a better rate for student loans and will make selling my house a little bit easier.

Maybe not. With the weakening dollar and rising oil, they may want to wait.

Isn't the next meeting next week? It'll be interesting to see whether they trick or treat us. :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
[#permalink]
With oil at $ 92 per barrel, a more weakening dollar, and growth in China slowing down, I wonder what the economic situation will be.

Its amazing to know that Merrill Lynch posted billion dollar profits last year (2006), doling out millions in IB and now posting billion dollar losses.

But I hope the economy turns around in the next 2 -3 years.
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
[#permalink]
Praetorian wrote:
lanter1 wrote:
Praetorian wrote:

Sorry lanter1. I am sure its impact was felt most on the average guy. It is a little surprising that the Fed lowered interest rates. Whatever happened to the free market sorting things out for itself. Some one decided that subprime mortages were a good idea and they were wrong. So, why reward such mistakes? I dont pretend to understand the business of interest rates, but I never understood how cutting interest rates prevents the big boys from handing out these mortgages once the good times roll again.

I think the concept of subprime is not the problem...it's all the unique loan programs such as negative am and no doc that seem to have caused a lot of the trouble. Also, there were a whole lot of shady brokers doing unethical loans such as putting people on a two year fixed rate with a three year prepay penalties. Subprime will always exist, but you won't see the irresponsible/risky programs that have existed the last 5 to 6 years. There are a lot of good loans that can still be completed for customers in the 500 credit score range, but the companies need to stay disciplined by limiting debt-to-income ratios and loan-to-values.

As far as cutting rates, I think it was the right decision to relieve some of the pressure currently on the secondary mortgage markets and to give the banks a positive vibe after being beat up for the last 8 months. The cut is enabling mortgage companies to do loans that they could not complete 2 months ago by having lower debt-to-income ratios. A company like Countrywide going out of business would not be good for the overall mortgage market or consumer confidence in financial services.
Current Student
 Q48  V39
Send PM
[#permalink]
gmatclb wrote:
lanter1 wrote:
Praetorian wrote:

Wow. Sorry to hear that. If you don't mind, I'd like to hear more about what your team worked on and how it was doing well.

First, I had an excellent group of people, and I didn't allow my team to buy into the negativity swirling around the subprime market (we still shut down though). We stayed positive and focused on what we could control-selling loans. In August, my team had 28 loans submissions with the next closest team in the region having 9. Also, I am a big believer in accountability to meeting numbers and goals on a daily, weekly and monthly basis. I am extremely competitive and I think that my team developed that attitude as well. Having a positive attitude, fostering a collaborative environment, and CONSISTENT accountability are the keys to having a successful team. One mistake I saw other managers continue to make, was holding their teams accountable only when numbers were down or at random times. This is ineffective. I hope that answered your question.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
O'Neal Out as Merrill Reels From Loss

https://online.wsj.com/article/SB119359304744274091.html?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
gmatclb wrote:
riverripper wrote:

Maybe not. With the weakening dollar and rising oil, they may want to wait.

Isn't the next meeting next week? It'll be interesting to see whether they trick or treat us. :)

I was right...they pretty had to have to cutting a half percent and a few huge dips lately. If they hadn't cut then today would have been another giant drop.

My next prediction by christmas we will have $100 oil. Sadly I hope oil keeps going up, considering what I want to go into post grad $200+ oil would be awesome for my career prospects.
VP
VP
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
VP
VP