Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 11:10 It is currently 08 May 2024, 11:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
It is possible to head back to the US after graduating from Oxford, I know a few folks from last years class who did it, but it takes some extra work. I'd say it also really depends on what industry you want to go into. If you're looking to go into IB or MC in the US, then this is definitely not the right program. Diversified industry should be possible going through the regular channels.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management
Schools:St. Gallen '09
 Q47  V40
Send PM
[#permalink]
swgotz,

Are you currently a student at SBS?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yes, I'm here right now.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q47  V40
Send PM
[#permalink]
Brilliant!

I'm looking to apply in Round 2. I will visit SBS on 9 Nov for the open day.

Can I ask what your background is and what are your career ambitions? Career-switcher?

I have finished my time in the military as an officer, and I am currently in my gap year. All I want to do is cross-over into investment banking and become a trader at a top-tier firm a la JP Morgan or UBS. Maybe GS, but I hear they "own" you when you work there.

I understand LBS is considered more of a finance powerhouse than Oxford, but I really prefer a 1-year program. My biggest concern is whether the 1-year at Oxford (or even Cambridge) will open the doors for me at a top I-bank.

Have you seen any data on career-switchers who ended up going into I-banking/financial services? I see that Oxford lumps together corporate finance with banking in their recent placement report, but I wonder how much of that percentage actually goes to the I-banks and how many graduates go into the sales, trading, and research division. Probably a great question for admissions/career services!

Cheers,

William
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
When you know your schedule on the 9th send me a PM and we can arrange to meet up.

To answer your questions...

I have an entrepreneurial background, having started two companies, and am interested in transferring to VC.

I remember meeting a few ex-military guys who graduated from Oxford and went into IB, so it can be done but don't expect career services to spoon feed you a position. LBS would probably be a sure bet, but your costs are going to be higher. The great thing about Oxford, is that while some IB's don't recruit @ the business school, virtually all of them come to the University proper. So with enough effort you can start to network and build-up relationships with the recruiters.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
In September, I had attended Top MBA tour event in NYC and then I had talked an alumni of Cambridge.
He was quite forthright. He was working in US but he suggested that if you are looking to come back to US then a US based program is better. Infact, schools placement statistics show the same. You will be able to move back to US but it is difficult.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q47  V40
Send PM
[#permalink]
N750,

Not sure what your motivations are for the MBA, but did you get an impression that Cambridge is not the best place to switch careers into finance/i-banking?

I went to the MBA tour in Frankfurt, and I didn't get "that feel" I got from LBS/Insead/Cass for switching into I-banking.

I got a slightly better "feel" at Oxford vs. Cambridge, but still nothing that makes me want to say, "I definitely want to go to Oxford."

I guess I'll have a much better idea after Oxford's open day in November and a personal visit to Cambridge.

Oh by the way, I'm not trying to go back to the states. I want an international career and to stay in Europe, so it's mainly European schools for me.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
You mention INSEAD and Cambridge. I have heard that 1 year programs are not good for people trying to make a switch. Is this true?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q47  V40
Send PM
[#permalink]
paulinedavis wrote:
You mention INSEAD and Cambridge. I have heard that 1 year programs are not good for people trying to make a switch. Is this true?

It depends. I would say INSEAD is the best 1-year MBA program to make a career switch. The key to 2-year programs is the summer internship. But, if you go for INSEAD's winter term start, then you get to do a 2 month internship. Also, if you see INSEAD's placement stats, they are quite impressive. It's a top 10 school.

Cambridge and Oxford are the other top 1-year MBA programs, but require a lot of effort and commitment if you want to switch careers. It's recommended to do an internship before starting the program. Or, you can take Oxford's new 15-month option and do a summer internship.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
This is a topic I'm really interested it as I am from the US but would love to take part in the LBS MBA program. Is it tough to move from the UK back to the US for job placement?

Also, I would love to hear from anyone who has choosen to stay in the UK after graduation. I am seriously thinking of staying "in country" should I have the chance to go to LBS and am curious to hear about the experience of others. How did the job search go, what is it like living there, how the cost of living has impacted them, etc.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 237 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
gnr646 I'm a first year at LBS, although I am planning to stay in London when I graduate. Careers services at the school organise job treks to the US and NY to assist students who want to work out there, but you definitely have to put in extra leg work. From the other students I have spoken to the majority are planning to stay in London for at least a couple of years after graduation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks londonluddite, I apprecaite that. I'm really curious about salaries after graduation and the life-style one is able to lead with them. Given the shrinking value of the dollar and the debt I know I'm going to rake up, I'm curious as to how someone in my position would fare given London's high cost of living. Any advice on this would be great. Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
When I was going thru the LBS website, found sometin interesting.

london.edu/mba/programme/exchange.html

I believe switching to US would be possible if a student studies a semester at the US thru this exchange program.

Is my understanding right!!!

TIA
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
deepkv wrote:
When I was going thru the LBS website, found sometin interesting.

london.edu/mba/programme/exchange.html

I believe switching to US would be possible if a student studies a semester at the US thru this exchange program.

Is my understanding right!!!

TIA

There is no transferring. Your degree will be from your home institution.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I understand that the degree shall b from the home country... what my point is, an exchange student has much better options to do some networking in the target country he wants to settle down. he shall be studying and at the same time contact potential recruiters in the same few months. my question here is, would companies accept such a student who shows interest in an exchange program?

also looking into cambridge/oxford sites, could not find any exchange program related stuff!!!

thanks
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I wouldn't get all excited about networking while abroad unless I did some specific research and found satisfactory evidence. The reason why I say so, is that most organized networking events take place at a specific time and place (typically crammed into just a few weeks during the first semester at school).

The cold - call network, (i.e.: looking up and contacting alumni) on the other hand, takes place at any time, but even so I doubt alumni'd give you as much attention as they would if you were a student at the school rather than a student from another school who just spends a semester there.

My 2 cents.
L.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
In general, would you guys say that, especially for consulting, getting an MBA from a prestigious American B-School and finding work in Europe is easier than the other way around?

Thank you for your opinions.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2