Last visit was: 04 Jun 2024, 03:12 It is currently 04 Jun 2024, 03:12
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3925 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 372 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4748 [0]
 Q49  V35
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1743 [0]
Send PM
Re: A recent study of college students shows that, contrary to [#permalink]
tarek99 wrote:
I think it's E. In order to be sure that diet could not affect student's performance, I think it would make sense to have students who are already in their first or second year in college. In order for the students to confirm that their grades haven't changed, they must at least have 1 or 2 years of experience in college to use as their point of reference. otherwise, how can they confirm that their haven't changed?

I agree somewhat with this but I also think this is a poor answer if it really is the OA.

Students could just as well have had 3 weeks and saw grades improve over the last 3 weeks. Or even months. who says it has to be years? Who says it has to be term grades?

I went with B.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4748 [0]
 Q49  V35
Send PM
i don't think it's B because we don't even know whether the students were honor students in the first place. Even if they are honor students, the whole point of this argument is that nutrition affects students' grades despite whether they're honor students. that's how i feel at least. and i think study habbits is irrelevant to the final score. they can have the same study habbits, but then end up with improved scores because of the nutrition that they had.

as for the grades, the only time you get such grades is after your exams, which should be at least 1 year. otherwise, how would they know that they haven't improved if they haven't had the initial experience in the first place? i hope i'm write. what's the OA??
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1728 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
alimad wrote:
A recent study of college students shows that, contrary to predicted results, special nutritional planning does not positively affect student's grades. Sixty students, half of whom were given a nutritionally balanced diet, had grades no higher than did those students who were not placed on the diet plan.

Which of the following, if true, is most useful in determining the accuracy of the study described above?

Performance of business executives was shown to improve drastically after major alterations were made in their diets.

Honor students, after alterning their diets, maintained that they did nto change thier study habits.

Students who participated in various fitness regiments found that their grades improved appreciably after they alterned their exercise habits.

High school students who previously had low grades found that after they altered their diets, their grades improved dramatically.

All of the college students who volunteered for the study were either in their first or second year of college.

B too.

if the students, after alterning their diets, did not change their study habits, then it suffix the claim that dite did not improve the grades.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 543 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
said B with the rest of the team here
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
i will go with B. I think it makes sense.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 978 [0]
Send PM
alimad wrote:
A recent study of college students shows that, contrary to predicted results, special nutritional planning does not positively affect student's grades. Sixty students, half of whom were given a nutritionally balanced diet, had grades no higher than did those students who were not placed on the diet plan.

Which of the following, if true, is most useful in determining the accuracy of the study described above?

Performance of business executives was shown to improve drastically after major alterations were made in their diets.

Honor students, after alterning their diets, maintained that they did nto change thier study habits.

Students who participated in various fitness regiments found that their grades improved appreciably after they alterned their exercise habits.

High school students who previously had low grades found that after they altered their diets, their grades improved dramatically.

All of the college students who volunteered for the study were either in their first or second year of college.

E.

The flaw with the argument as it stands is that performance of students who were put on the diet is compared with that of students not put on the diet. If however, the performance of students who were put on the diet improved after they were put on the diet, compared to their performance before the diet, then the actual accuracy of the statement can be assessed.

I don't see what B has anything to do with assessing the accuracy of this arg.

What's the OA?

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Critical Reasoning (CR) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6952 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts