Last visit was: 04 May 2024, 02:13 It is currently 04 May 2024, 02:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Darden '15
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Concentration: Organization and Management
Schools:Emory class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 552 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thank you guys! I hope you get your desired scores also :)

Q 49 is 89 percentile
V 36 is 80 percentile

soo... emoryhopeful you don't think it is a very unbalanced score? If you look at percentiles, both are over 80

Thanks!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1738 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Darden2010 wrote:

Q 49 is 89 percentile
V 36 is 80 percentile

soo... emoryhopeful you don't think it is a very unbalanced score? If you look at percentiles, both are over 80

Thanks!

Bro ur quant is ridiculous. Ur verbal isnt the best, but its def. good.

Schools care more about quant anyway. Now if it were the reverse, I think u might be in some trouble.

Congrats man.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 975 [0]
Send PM
Re: Ok score but a lot of questions :) [#permalink]
Darden2010 wrote:
Hello all,

I took the GMAT today for the second time. I am happy with my score of 710, but at the same time I have some questions.

1. How bad is an unbalanced score? and what is an unbalanced score? I got 49 in quant and 36 in verbal. Is this really bad?

2. I scored 37 in verbal the first time I took the test... does that count for anything? does the previous 37 make the unbalanced score that I have now look a little better?

3. The first time I took the GMAT I got 610, after 2.5 months (yesterday) I got 710. How do you think the adcom would interpret this huge increase of 100 points!!

About my strategy for preparation the second time.
I did online tests only! I did all the ManhattanGMAT tests and I found them very helpfull.
The key to my strategy was doing GMATPrep tests over and over again. I probably took the GMATprep tests like at least 15 times. And the reasoning behind this was that I wanted to do some 700-level real GMAT questions. The only way to get your hands on 700-level real GMAT questions is through the GMATprep tests, because the Official Guides have easier questions. So at the end of my preparation I think I had went throuhg all the really difficult GMATprep questions and learned the principles behind them. I think this strategy helped especially for the quant part of the test.
So anyways ... even though I got 49 in the quant part I think I did some stupid mistakes and I guessed a few question because I was running out of time. After going throuhg all the 700-level trick questions on the GMATPrep I think that nothing really surprised me on the real thing. I actually found the quant part pretty easy, and during the break between the two sections I remember feeling mad at myself because I thought I blew the quant section again! (I got 37 in quant on the first test). And I think I underpreformed in the verbal section because I was feeling mad at myself :(. Soo... I am going to be sorry for the rest of my life for being upset during the verbal section and missing the chance of getting 750+ on the GMAT after such a great perfomance in quant (49)

Congrats Darden! That's a great score.

How the hell did you go about increasing your Q from 37 to 49??!! That is fantastic.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
hmmm, really grad schools care more about quant than verbal? I thought that balanced score was the best :)

how I increased my quant ... well I think by taking the GMATprep tests over and over again and learning all the tricks that the GMAT test makers put in these tests. Because I was constantly scoring 750+ on the prep tests I always got at least 10 difficult questions and I learned at least 2-3 tricks per GMATprep :). On the test day there were almost no surprises.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think your scores are quite balanced. I know Kellogg and W look for a 80-80 split and you have that. So...I would say that you should worry more about your essays now than your GMAT :)

Darden2010 wrote:

Q 49 is 89 percentile
V 36 is 80 percentile

Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Since everyone else seems to interpret the scores in terms of percentiles, I happened to notice that my quant section score increased from 52 percentile to 89 percentile in 2.5 months :)

and... please don't think I am arrogant for saying this, :) but I am damn proud of myself!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 304 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
[#permalink]
Darden2010 wrote:
hmmm, really grad schools care more about quant than verbal? I thought that balanced score was the best :)

how I increased my quant ... well I think by taking the GMATprep tests over and over again and learning all the tricks that the GMAT test makers put in these tests. Because I was constantly scoring 750+ on the prep tests I always got at least 10 difficult questions and I learned at least 2-3 tricks per GMATprep :). On the test day there were almost no surprises.

Bro,

You've DEFINITELY got to reply to this thread and share your wisdom/experience: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t56749

PLEASE talk about the quantity of difficult questions you encountered on the GMAT. We'll all appreciate it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi,

About the difficulty of the quant part... I don't think that the quant part of the GMAT is very difficult. There are just a handful of trick that are very basic but 'confusing' that you have to learn in order to score well. Like for example look at this question that I posted on the froums:

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t56326

It is such a simple trick but the question is 700-level.

Also, I think I should mention that I don't have a quant heavy background. I have a BS in Business Administration, and the most difficult math class I took in college was Calc 1, and I got a C- in probability class back in college:)))

I think that anyone can score 85+ percentiles on the quant part if the learn a handfull of tricks and implement them. The GMAT is not about how much you know, but about how you apply the few things that you know :).

About verbal, ... I think this part is all about concentration. If you can concentrate on the question and read it REALLY carefuly I think you are going to see what is wrong with it, especially if you have lived in an English speaking environment for a while. So, for this part I would recommend reading the 'Centence Correction' ManhattanGMAT book and doing the OG questions .... after that it is all up to the amount of time you can stay REALLY focused on the questions.
I caught myself thinking about some questions of the quant part during the verbal part, which means that I was not fully concentrated on verbal part, and I think that is the reason I got a mediocre score.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37365 posts