Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 22:15 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 22:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Do people have thoughts on what to do if you have been waitlisted but the notification date is past the date where you have to let another school you have been accepted at if you are attending?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Pay the deposit on the school you are admitted to and wait out the WL...or decide to withdraw and go to the school you got into.

Personally if I got WL anywhere at this point I would immediately withdraw. Its not worth the pain of holding out hope, plus with how hard this year seems to be I thing getting off a WL at a very very top school is going to be an amazing accomplishment. Not trying to discourage people, but realistically, the top 10 schools take a handful of people normally. In a year like this, yield will be up and some schools may actually go beyond their desired size...so that would prevent anyone from coming of WLs.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I applied to 3 schools - Wharton, Chicago GSB and Columbia GSB, interviewed with all 3 and now have been waitlisted by all 3. i thought i woud recv atleast 1 admit but this is too much of a coincidence...these schools really do think alike...anywaz i am not sure what to do as a waitlisted applicant...should i write to the school? should i apply to other schools in R2? i am fairly lost for I never thought I'd get waitlisted? any help any advice...please
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
rampup: I'm a bit confused about when/what to talk to them about. Because they say in the letter that they'd give feedback in mid-january. Until then .....what ? And they'll be all off next week anyway ...
maina: If you have the time/enthusiasm/recommenders willing to write more recos, why not go for R2 ? The links above are helpful as to what to do when waitlisted
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
thanks gmat_march
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I have a waitlist feedback session with cornell in mid-January. I have a feeling they will bring up my relatively low GMAT score and recommend that I do a retake. I REALLY don't want to - primarily because I felt like that was the best I could do, and there has always been this disconnect between my grades and standardized test scores (same situation with SATs and my high school grades). I've never been very good at standardized tests, but I do excel in school.

So IF they bring up retaking the GMAT in my feedback session, would it be wise to ask if taking supplementary courses at a community college can make up for it??
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
gmat_march wrote:
rampup: I'm a bit confused about when/what to talk to them about. Because they say in the letter that they'd give feedback in mid-january. Until then .....what ? And they'll be all off next week anyway ...
maina: If you have the time/enthusiasm/recommenders willing to write more recos, why not go for R2 ? The links above are helpful as to what to do when waitlisted

At this point, I wouldn't do anything prior to the feedback session. The admissions office is closed for the holidays anyway. After you get your feedback, I'd write follow up letters to the person you spoke with and discuss how you've put his/her advice to use and show your progress. I'd reiterate that the school is your #1 choice, etc. I'm thinking of writing one letter or one phone call every month after that.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
If they suggest you retake the GMAT and you dont, then you arent going to get in. A statement like that is pretty clear, and a class isn't going to satisfy them. If thats the reason for being waitlist then its clear they want you but wont accept you because it will bring down their GMAT mean and median. I forget who it was off the top of my head but I believe someone got that statement from Darden, brought their score up and was immediately taken off the waitlist.

In my opinion if they say they want you to retake the GMAT, take what you would pay to take a class and take a GMAT prep course. If you think thats what you are going to get then I really suggest you do a little preemptive strike and break out your GMAT study guides again.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
maina_s wrote:
I applied to 3 schools - Wharton, Chicago GSB and Columbia GSB, interviewed with all 3 and now have been waitlisted by all 3. i thought i woud recv atleast 1 admit but this is too much of a coincidence...these schools really do think alike...anywaz i am not sure what to do as a waitlisted applicant...should i write to the school? should i apply to other schools in R2? i am fairly lost for I never thought I'd get waitlisted? any help any advice...please

From this pool of schools I presume you want finance. If so, why not NYU R2 which is mid Jan, and perhaps LBS? Both are a great schools and a "little easier" to get into. With wait list one never knows, and it's better to be into one almost-ultra-elite school than be on the wait list of 3 ultra-elites, right?

But also see the possibilities on those 3, if you can send them a side letter, another reco, or whatever...

Good Luck
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Waitlist - Best Practices Compilation [#permalink]
for all those who were previously wailisted - would you mind sharing a sample letter you sent to the admissions committee after you were placed on the waitlist? or tell me where i can find one?

thanks!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [7]
Send PM
Re: Waitlist - Best Practices Compilation [#permalink]
Kudos