Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 11:44 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 11:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Re: Calling all Michigan 2008 applicants... [#permalink]
R.E.D. wrote:
kwam wrote:
branson wrote:

UK based consulting companies hire at all TOP15 schools. Read: Bain, BCG, Mckinsey, Booz Allen, etc...

Actually they hire from other courses besides MBA, I have a friend who made an MS at LSE and works at Mckinsey. So do not worry, at Ross you will have shots at those companies. Also Ross is at the MBA provision of the UK's HSMP program, so no VISA issues :-D

Key word is LSE :))) that is UK-based school. I'm also sure that with any of Top-15 schools is possible to find a job in UK. When was choosing schools passed all my list through schools accepted for 75 score in HSMP.

Ops, I forgot to mention that he is working for Mckinsey in Lisbon...
But you're right.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
helg wrote:
Darden2010 wrote:
Hey guys do you know if the new building is going to be put in service in Fall 2008? or Winter 2009? Are clsses going to be held there in Fall 2008?

Thanks

As far as I know, the intention is that it will be put in use as of Fall'08.

When I visited in October I was told that classes would be held in the new building in Winter. They said there was a chance it might be in use for Fall B. I am not sure if its going to open before that.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
R.E.D. wrote:
kwam wrote:

Key word is LSE :))) that is UK-based school. I'm also sure that with any of Top-15 schools is possible to find a job in UK. When was choosing schools passed all my list through schools accepted for 75 score in HSMP.

Could you explain that last sentence? I dont understand anything. :) what is HSMP? what score? HELP! ;)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
bherronp wrote:
helg wrote:
Darden2010 wrote:
Hey guys do you know if the new building is going to be put in service in Fall 2008? or Winter 2009? Are clsses going to be held there in Fall 2008?

Thanks

When I visited in October I was told that classes would be held in the new building in Winter. They said there was a chance it might be in use for Fall B. I am not sure if its going to open before that.

There will be a team building event at GBR where all admitted students will be put to work finishing the building they will be studying in.

(yes, I read too much Pillars of the Earth)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
branson wrote:
R.E.D. wrote:
kwam wrote:

Could you explain that last sentence? I dont understand anything. :) what is HSMP? what score? HELP! ;)

Branson

Uk has the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSMP

Which has the MBA provision, that for some schools, the graduate has the 75 point to require the VISA. As I suppose you are a "Schengen citizen", you don't need this program to be in UK:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Agreement

I Hope that helps...
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
bherronp wrote:
helg wrote:
Darden2010 wrote:

Thanks

Current student told me the school works hard to have it done by Fall.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
kwam wrote:
Which has the MBA provision, that for some schools, the graduate has the 75 point to require the VISA. As I suppose you are a "Schengen citizen", you don't need this program to be in UK:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Agreement

I Hope that helps...

Small correction: you need to score at least 75 points to be eligible for the HSMP program. MBA from one of the top schools (40 programs listed) gives you those 75 points + you get points for age, salary, etc.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Schools: Darden '15
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
Send PM
oh such a bummer, we probably won't get to start our first MBA year in the new building :(
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Technology Management
Schools:Fuqua, Anderson, Johnson, Ross
Send PM
ncp, dosa_don - Thanks for the information. Congratulations on your admits too!

I spend a few hours on BW and found some 07 waitlist threads. Ross takes it down to the wire with decisions in late-June through Aug 1st.

This is what I gathered from Soojin's waitlist chat:
- No feedback. We won't tell you what component of application you can improve
- But you're welcome to reassess your app & rectify your weakness (including why ross essay)
- Retake GMAT, retake GMAT, retake GMAT (for most applicants)
- Diversity is not a factor in admitting off the waitlist
- Any awards, promotions, community activities are good updates
- Too much or too little contact with waitlist adcom is bad (find out yourself!)

I have a 730 gmat with 89% in Q/V. I am well within the median 80% but probably below other Indian applicants.
My acads are decent too but transcripts don't convey it (%/100). I did write a note explaining the marking system.
I thought my essays were good and XC, while not all leadership roles, definitely conveyed a long-term commitment. So, I really don't know what updates I provide, will help my case :?

Originally posted by svrider on 15 Jan 2008, 10:30.
Last edited by svrider on 15 Jan 2008, 10:32, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Did you visit Ann Arbor svrider?
Current Student
Send PM
Yes, for the Ross preview day on Sep 20th. Attended Entrepalooza the 2nd day.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
You are right. At this point, 730 is more than sufficient. I dont think GMAT is holding you back. If you like, I can look at your app/essays and possibly suggest where I think an update will be useful.

svrider wrote:

I spend a few hours on BW and found some 07 waitlist threads. Ross takes it down to the wire with decisions in late-June through Aug 1st.

- But you're welcome to reassess your app & rectify your weakness (including why ross essay)
- Too much or too little contact with waitlist adcom is bad (find out yourself!)

I have a 730 gmat with 89% in Q/V. I am well within the median 80% but probably below other Indian applicants.
My acads are decent too but transcripts don't convey it (%/100). I did write a note explaining the marking system.
I thought my essays were good and XC, while not all leadership roles, definitely conveyed a long-term commitment. So, I really don't know what updates I provide, will help my case :?
Current Student
Send PM
ncprasad wrote:
You are right. At this point, 730 is more than sufficient. I dont think GMAT is holding you back. If you like, I can look at your app/essays and possibly suggest where I think an update will be useful.

svrider wrote:

I sent you a pm.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
 Q49  V44
Send PM
<message deleted>

Originally posted by saurabh357 on 15 Jan 2008, 10:56.
Last edited by saurabh357 on 15 Jan 2008, 11:18, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Marketing &amp; General Management
Schools:University of Michigan - Ross 2010
 Q47  V44
Send PM
Do you guys think being called early to an interview (within a week) means you are in the group they want to include or get rid of first?

I know three people (one outside this site) who have been called quickly for a R2 interview and all have 700+ GMATs. But I assume the rest who applied here are most, if not all, 700+ scorers. I think there is no way they can read through all the applications and call in the ones they liked. There's got to be something tied to GMAT in their method. That is the only solid part of the application that can yield a quick analysis. Reading the essays, recs, etc. will take forever.

My conclusion is that they call 700+ applicants which they are really in favor of or are likely to eliminate. This will give them a better grasp on available space for the rest of the pool.Once they are decided what to do with the outliers (good or bad) with 700+, they will continue on with the rest.

Or maybe it is totally geographical (Darden and I are from Europe, but this other dude I know with 760 is American, so here goes this theory)

Maybe some R1 people can share us their insights. Especially the ones interviewed early on.

Brainstorming time!!!!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
You are wasting your time :) There is no correlation between interview invite timing and acceptance probability at MOST schools.

manylander wrote:
Do you guys think being called early to an interview (within a week) means you are in the group they want to include or get rid of first?

I know three people (one outside this site) who have been called quickly for a R2 interview and all have 700+ GMATs. But I assume the rest who applied here are most, if not all, 700+ scorers. I think there is no way they can read through all the applications and call in the ones they liked. There's got to be something tied to GMAT in their method. That is the only solid part of the application that can yield a quick analysis. Reading the essays, recs, etc. will take forever.

My conclusion is that they call 700+ applicants which they are really in favor of or are likely to eliminate. This will give them a better grasp on available space for the rest of the pool.Once they are decided what to do with the outliers (good or bad) with 700+, they will continue on with the rest.

Or maybe it is totally geographical (Darden and I are from Europe, but this other dude I know with 760 is American, so here goes this theory)

Maybe some R1 people can share us their insights. Especially the ones interviewed early on.

Brainstorming time!!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
manylander, I was interviewed early along with helg, red, nervous, and bherronp. Helg, red (both Russians), and I (Canada) are internationals, while bherronp and nervous are from the states. All five of us got admits. I went through a similar thought process before and after my interview and I think the process is random. In any case, the fact that they want to interview you means that they are interested in you and that to me is most important. Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  45   46   47   48   49  ...  104