Last visit was: 22 May 2024, 22:05 It is currently 22 May 2024, 22:05
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q44  V41
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [1]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1741 [1]
Send PM
Re: Another Disappointment - 690 (44Q 41V) [#permalink]
Kudos
Tarmac wrote:
I don't think you should be disappointed with a 690. That's better than 1/3 of the entering class of almost every top 7 school.

I agree 690 is a great score!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
 Q19  V23
Send PM
Kudos
I third that...you scored 300 more points than me. I wouldn't be disappointed with a 690! According to GMAT For Dummies, the average score for most US b-school applicants (didn't specify if they were elite schools or not) is slightly above 500.

Having a great GPA should hold more weight than the GMAT score alone. I think you have a good chance of getting into a good b-school. As for elite ones I don't know, I can't afford anything more than CUNY. And I go to the most jobbing school in that system!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
This is just a hunch, but, you reported score may end up being adjusted upward.

I had 44Q, 42V and my score was 710. I don't see how one point on a Verbal can bring one's overall score down 20 points.

If it does not get adjusted, I would contact GMAC.

jfals82 wrote:
I just scored 690 on the GMAT.

It is not a bad score, but I am extremely disappointed because A) it is not over 700 and B) I scored a 700 and a 740 on the GMATPrep. I am quixotic by nature and was envisioning elite-tier b-schools, but now I don't have much confidence in that. Should I retake? Should I still go top tier?

I have a great GPA 3.9+ for my English major and 4.0 for my Business minor, but it is from a small-time school.
I have less than a year experience in web development, a internship from a large bank, and a two-year Mormon mission (some times it can be counted towards work experience)
I don't have an exceptional amount of leadership, but I do have a pretty good amount of service.

Your input is appreciated.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Kudos
There have been several instances of test takers receiving identical scaled scores on verbal and quant but different total scores.

I don't know of anyone whose unofficial reported score has been adjusted upward or downward on the official score report.

MBA0007 wrote:
This is just a hunch, but, you reported score may end up being adjusted upward.

I had 44Q, 42V and my score was 710. I don't see how one point on a Verbal can bring one's overall score down 20 points.

If it does not get adjusted, I would contact GMAC.

jfals82 wrote:
I just scored 690 on the GMAT.

It is not a bad score, but I am extremely disappointed because A) it is not over 700 and B) I scored a 700 and a 740 on the GMATPrep. I am quixotic by nature and was envisioning elite-tier b-schools, but now I don't have much confidence in that. Should I retake? Should I still go top tier?

I have a great GPA 3.9+ for my English major and 4.0 for my Business minor, but it is from a small-time school.
I have less than a year experience in web development, a internship from a large bank, and a two-year Mormon mission (some times it can be counted towards work experience)
I don't have an exceptional amount of leadership, but I do have a pretty good amount of service.

Your input is appreciated.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
 Q19  V23
Send PM
As per the last few replies regarding score adjustment:

I read in GMAT For Dummies that the computer DOES evaluate how much time you spend on questions. Your raw score you get as soon as the test ends is based on how many questions you got right/wrong.

The adjusted score is based on your timing.

Makes you miss the pencil and paper of the SATs huh?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 307 [0]
Send PM
alphabyrd84 wrote:
As per the last few replies regarding score adjustment:

I read in GMAT For Dummies that the computer DOES evaluate how much time you spend on questions. Your raw score you get as soon as the test ends is based on how many questions you got right/wrong.

The adjusted score is based on your timing.

Makes you miss the pencil and paper of the SATs huh?

WT..............!!!! :shock:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
 Q19  V23
Send PM
I SWEAR, it's in the beginning of the book somewhere...Chapter 1 or 2 I think. The "For Dummies" series for testing/study guides always gives you some kind of preface as to what to bring to the exam and what to expect.

Obviously there's a section on scoring. It used the SAT as a comparison, pointing it the many similarities and differences. One similarity is that though you are timed, you do not get a "time credit" towards another section if you finish one early.

However...the biggest difference is that you are able to page back and forth in your test booklet with the SAT. The prime test-taking skill thus recommended for the SAT is to simply finish the questions you have an easier time with and come back to the harder ones later that you need to spend more time on.

The GMAT being all computerized has NONE, NADA, ZIP, of that. It's answer it or get off the page!

Have a decent sense of when one minute to 90 seconds have passed. Seriously. That's about all they want you to spend on a question. You spend too little, it looks like you breezed through it even if you got it right. You spend too long? You must be too slow according to these inhuman automatons who make this test up.

So yeah. Timing counts to these heartless b*stards!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [1]
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
Kudos
i doubt it.

this has been covered.

giving you more credit for answering fast is flawed. why? because the questions which are answered fastest of all are those which you have no idea how to answer - guesses.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
 Q19  V23
Send PM
Kudos
Check the book if you don't believe me...it says that in there in chapter 2! It claims that the computer doesn't give you more points for answering fast: but that scores tend to be up if you spend 50-90 seconds per question.

The timing principle doesn't apply to the writing section as some people would prefer to plan out their essays on the dry-erase pad first, or others would rather start typing then fix it up later.

I see it as damned if you damned if you don't. And yep I finished the math section quick. Because I had NO idea what I was doing for the most part. Just when I thought I could run and hide from algebra for good, never having to see its useless face ever again!

Ok, I think I should back to sleep.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Congratulations on your score. 690 is a great score.

as per the time issue: I think they are talking about an average time spent on correct questions. If GMAT scored people on time spent, I think they would have been very clear about it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
 Q44  V41
Send PM
If it helps... My official score did not change.

jfals82
https://www.jaredmalan.com

Originally posted by jfals82 on 09 Feb 2008, 16:01.
Last edited by jfals82 on 10 Feb 2008, 10:51, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
i agree 690 is a good score...
Manager
Manager
 Q44  V41
Send PM
I also agree that a 690 is a good score. My problem/disappointment is I have very little work experience so I need my score to fill in for my weaknesses. Therefore, I am retaking the test at the end of the month.

jfals82

Originally posted by jfals82 on 10 Feb 2008, 09:54.
Last edited by jfals82 on 10 Feb 2008, 10:51, edited 2 times in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
jfals82 wrote:
I also agree that a 690 is a good score. My problem/disappointment is I have very little work experience so I need my score to fill in for my weaknesses. Therefor, I am retaking the test at the end of the month.

No harm in trying (except the $250 and headache involved). At the very worst you have a great score. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
JFals,

From a personal and career growth perspective I think you would benefit significantly by working for another year our two. With 2-3 solid years of W/E you will be in a much better position to adequately address "why b-school and why." Right now I think it will be difficult to craft a viable essay answering the aforementioned question. Your high GPA and strong GMAT more than demonstrate your strong academic ability but Adcomms need to see demonstrated leadership and employment growth. Good luck.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [0]
Send PM
jfals82 wrote:
I also agree that a 690 is a good score. My problem/disappointment is I have very little work experience so I need my score to fill in for my weaknesses. Therefore, I am retaking the test at the end of the month.

jfals82

690 + your high gpa + 2 yr mormon exp (hello, unique to say the least) will give you a shot at all the top schools. Trust me, gmat is not that important. Once you meet a threshold, it won't help you much to have an extremely high gmat.
Manager
Manager
 Q44  V41
Send PM
Very kind of you to say kidderek. I'll give it a shot.

-jfals
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37471 posts