Last visit was: 04 Jun 2024, 19:03 It is currently 04 Jun 2024, 19:03
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 701 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Re: What Would You Do? [#permalink]
I totally understand your situation, but for the long run, I would also just bear through it a few more months until you get an admit under your belt. Then you can quit immediately :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
rampup82, sorry to hear about your situation. i'm hoping you'll be able get in at both schools.

i did want to ask the others here, why you even need to tell the adcoms about leaving your job. if you're coming off of the waitlist, that's going to happen whether you stay in your job or you don't. why couldn't you simply tell the schools that you are taking some time off to go to Thailand and work with your friend - and that's it.

if you're that miserable at work, i (and admittedly i have limited experience with this) see no tangible benefit in sticking it out for another 3 months to wait and see whether you are able to secure a spot off the waitlist.

edited: I deleted the school names in my reply since you didn't disclose them in your original post.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
hey thanks for the support everyone. i talk to my friends about this stuff sometimes, but it's much more comforting to talk to people who have been or are going through the same emotions. so, thanks for being my soapbox. :)

i'm kinda wondering the same thing as solaris1 though. for the two schools i haven't heard back from, i can understand why i should wait out another few months. but for the schools i'm WL at, why would it matter? their decision to pull me off the WL is dependent on what new information I decide to provide them, right? :wink: for all they know, i'm still at my job.

just wondering...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 701 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
I don't think the issue should be whether the school you're WL at will find out that you quit, but just in case you don't get into any school at all. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
ask yourself the question: What would Oprah do?

just kidding. I am on the same boat as you. you have an admit already, if you hate it so much and don't need the money, just quit and go do thailand, it might actually look good if you're doing community service. For me unfortunately i don't have an admit yet, and i need the money...so i have to stick it out for a few more months...as soon as I get an admit i'm gone.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
I don't think the issue should be whether the school you're WL at will find out that you quit, but just in case you don't get into any school at all. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter.

I'm under the impression that if he doesn't get into ANY school, he'd quit his job anyways.

I would TRY to stick it out at least until the WLs come back. However, if you really are that miserable, then you should leave.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
this is kind of a tangent, but i was wondering how you guys are thinking about background checks.

if admitted, i also want to quit my job and either study + travel or do an internship before b-school. i have nightmares though about quitting my job and then having some hiccup in the background check. i was honest in my application, but some of the data was hard to find so i estimated and noted it in the optional essay. basically, i am wondering how harsh the schools are in their checks (i am paranoid!!). what if you quit your job and then have your offer rescinded? ouch.
GMAT Club Bot