Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 12:01 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 12:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 295 [57]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63683 [18]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64952 [5]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
General Discussion
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10037 [3]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Re: Recently political pressure groups have become far more effective at [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
E

Recently political pressure groups have become far more effective at persuading industrial corporations to change.For example, as a result of the efforts of animal groups, many pharmaceutical and cosmetics companies have reduced their use of laboratory animanls, substituting in their place alternative methods of product testing.

the first assumption: there was no other reason to reduce use of laboratory animanls by pharmaceutical and cosmetics companies

Which of the following, if true, casts the most serious doubt on the connection between pressure group activity and corporate chage claimed above?

(A)Many comp in the pharmaceutical industry have increased their public relations spending in order to counter the activity of animal rights groups. - irrelevant.
(B)Bfore the new methods of testing products are used, they have to be caliberated by comparison tests involving experiments on laboratory animals. - irrelevant.
(C)wHEN COMP STOP USING LABORATORY ANIMALS, THEY GENERALLY GO TO SOME EXPENSE TO PUBLICIZE THIS CHANGE of policy. irrelevant. strengthen. Despite of expenses companies have reduced their use of laboratory animals.
(D)The pharmaceutical manufacturrers who still use laboratory animals are mostly the smaller firms that have been less subject to pressure group activity. - irrelevant. slightly strengthen
(E)The methods of product testing that do not involve laboratory animals are faster and cheaper that the methods that do. - ok. it is the first assumption.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 496 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: UCSD (Rady) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Education (Education)
Re: Recently political pressure groups have become far more effective at [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
I'm going with (B) here. First, the breakdown:

PREMISE: Pol groups caused some corps to switch from animal test to new test
CONCLUSION: Pol groups are more effective in making corps change (care about animals)
ASSUMPTION: Switching tests demonstrates that the corporations actually care.

(B) weakens the assumption by showing conclusively that the corporations don't care about animals, and therefore haven't changed at all.

(E), on the other hand, does not destroy the assumption - it's possible that corporations can care about both animals AND money (let's not be too cynical here). Furthermore, if the new tests are cheaper, why didn't the corporations switch earlier? Probably because the political pressure was the catalyst, which would actually strengthen our conclusion!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Answer is E

The question makes an assumption that the only reason pharmaceutical and cosmetic industries are using other alternative instead of laboratory animal is due to pressure.

E. This mentions that there are other reasons as well for a company to use other methods other than laboratory animals. Hence it defeats the assumption made.

Cheers!

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
GMATNinja
Option E mentions the alternative cause, and thus weakens the conclusion.
But even answer choice B is weakening the conclusion. Please explain why option B is wrong?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja,

as a result of the efforts of animal groups, many pharmaceutical and cosmetics companies have reduced their use of laboratory animals, substituting in their place alternative methods of product testing.

Why are we attacking the highlighted sentence? I assumed that since this is a premise, I cannot attack this statement. I took it as a fact that efforts of animal groups indeed forced pharmaceutical and cosmetics companies to reduce their use of laboratory animals. Also, to me it doesn't look like an intermediate conclusion (there is no premise).
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63683 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos