Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 06:23 It is currently 07 May 2024, 06:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Ross Class of 2011
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Re: Texas MBA at Houston vs Rice MBA [#permalink]
It really does depend on your goals and what things you are looking for in a program. I'd suggest going to the info session of the all the programs in town (UT Houston, Rice, Tulane, UH, A&M) and attending the classes. I've done a lot of research on the programs and talked to people at work in each of the following three programs.

Ranking wise UT, Rice, Tulane (Full time ranking, if you use Part Time then UH has to be considered very high in this conversation)

I like Rice's program but I don't like the idea of going to class at night in the middle of the week as a do travel). I was very impressed with Tulane and they delay the payment until after you complete the "module" so if you are getting sponsorship you can get it before you have to pay which is a big deal unless you've got 70k sitting around. They also appear to be moving up through the rankings and just got a nice mention by FT for top 10 places to study Finance. UT is the hardest program to get into and the most expensive but most prestigious of the big 3.

From what I've found is every person is going to have a different take on these three schools and I don't think they are so far apart that I can say one is "better" than the other.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
I believe Rice has two different part-time MBA programs--one is the professionals program which is mostly weeknights, and the other is the executive program, which is on the weekends. The executive program is for older, more experienced individuals. I've heard that Rice's coursework is challenging, maybe more so than UT's, but I still believe that the UT name goes further than Rice does. I think Rice will eventually have a more prestigious name for their MBA program, but it will take 5-10 yrs to get there. However, if you want to work in Houston after your MBA, Rice may have a slight edge. It's very close, and you can't go wrong either way.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you for your inputs. I am planning to join UT.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Ross Class of 2011
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Good luck! let us know how it goes. As a resident of Houston with a good job I myself might have to make this decision soon.
GMAT Club Bot