Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 05:34 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 05:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7305 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: UCSD ($) , UCLA, USC ($), Stanford
Send PM
Re: 780 (Q50, V47) [#permalink]
What was the breakdown on your MGMAT tests? Why didn't you take all 6?

I am curious because I am getting similar (low) scores on the MGMAT and starting to get worried.....but looking at how you did on the real thing gives me hope,
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Kudos
How long did you prep for the GMAT?

I know you said you took the courses from Sept to Dec., but overall may I ask what your study pattern break down was? How many hours per week?

Thanks,
KK
Current Student
 Q50  V47
Send PM
chineseburned wrote:

I am curious because I am getting similar (low) scores on the MGMAT and starting to get worried.....but looking at how you did on the real thing gives me hope,

Hi CB,
I was getting low 40's in quant and low-mid 30's in verbal for the first 2 MGMAT tests. On the last one, I think my breakdown was 49Q, 40V for a 730. I only had a limited amount of time to take practice tests and decided that using GMATPrep would be a more efficient use of time. I have a problem with MGMAT's CR and RC in that the answer choices sometimes are way too similar, whereas on the real thing they're sometimes a bit similar but not quite as much as they are on MGMAT tests.
Again, I would stress that taking each GMATPrep at least twice is the way to go. If you can get the writing pad and marker from MGMAT or Amazon, get it to help simulate the real exam environment as closely as possible.
Current Student
 Q50  V47
Send PM
89nk wrote:
How long did you prep for the GMAT?

I know you said you took the courses from Sept to Dec., but overall may I ask what your study pattern break down was? How many hours per week?

Thanks,
KK

My study pattern wasn't consistent at all. I took the courses back in the fall-wintertime and would only study weekends at that time, usually 2-3 hours before my MGMAT class. After that, there was a month hiatus. In january, I got serious and studied about 3 days a week, 2 hours each day. In late January I started working on GMATprep tests once a week for a 6-week period up to my exam day. I would study during the week and take a CAT on a Saturday. On Sunday, I reviewed the wrong answers (I didn't close the tests after I completed them).
I took my final GMAtprep CAT the evening before my real exam, not sure if this is a strategy that will work for everyone.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7305 [0]
Schools: UCSD ($) , UCLA, USC ($), Stanford
Send PM
sonibubu wrote:
chineseburned wrote:

Hi CB,
I was getting low 40's in quant and low-mid 30's in verbal for the first 2 MGMAT tests. On the last one, I think my breakdown was 49Q, 40V for a 730. I only had a limited amount of time to take practice tests and decided that using GMATPrep would be a more efficient use of time. I have a problem with MGMAT's CR and RC in that the answer choices sometimes are way too similar, whereas on the real thing they're sometimes a bit similar but not quite as much as they are on MGMAT tests.
Again, I would stress that taking each GMATPrep at least twice is the way to go. If you can get the writing pad and marker from MGMAT or Amazon, get it to help simulate the real exam environment as closely as possible.

Thanks sonibubu. So you recommend re-taking GMATPrep tests to taking MGMAT ones even if you start seeing upto 1/4 of the questions repeated on the GMATPrep?
I don't know, I still think the MGMAT Q sections are valuable although impossible to complete in 75 min....at least for me. The V sections are confusing, I agree.
Current Student
 Q50  V47
Send PM
chineseburned wrote:
sonibubu wrote:
chineseburned wrote:

Hi CB,

Thanks sonibubu. So you recommend re-taking GMATPrep tests to taking MGMAT ones even if you start seeing upto 1/4 of the questions repeated on the GMATPrep?
I don't know, I still think the MGMAT Q sections are valuable although impossible to complete in 75 min....at least for me. The V sections are confusing, I agree.

If you have time, take both. But closer to the real thing, I'd suggest GMATPrep. I worked on questions that I'd seen before and sometimes got them wrong 2-3 tests in a row, so it's not guaranteed that you will get ones you've seen before correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
congratulations! Thank you for the well debrief.
Form the debrief,I think it's very important to sum up the problems you get wrong.
thanks !!! :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Send PM
christian79 wrote:
The GMAT SCORING RUBRIC posted by Jimmy is not accurate.
I got Q50 V42 and got a 760, while from the graph it seemd lower than 750.
We could open a new post and putting all our results and deriving the curve from ourself...

Guys, I did not create this. It was taken from Manhattan GMAT website. The website did not state the source or date of this rubric. I recall in one of their recent (2007?) videos, they mention that 750 used to be 99 percentile but now is 760.

Anyway, don't take this rubric as a final truth. After all, GMAT is always evolving. We have many smart people who are pushing the scores closer to 800 :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Congratulations and :gl
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 671 [0]
Send PM
SUPERB... :lol:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Congrats dude!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
That's a great score !!! Congrats :-D
Current Student
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Thanks everyone. Much appreciated! :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Congrats....really tremendous score...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 564 [0]
 Q47  V35
Send PM
Congrats! That is a great score.

I am currently scoring at 680 (Q 48, V34) in practice tests. Planning to go for the test during 3rd week of May. I am working full time and really having hard time to practice.

My weak areas are

Geometry
Number Properties
Word Translations
700-800 rated questions in both Q and V
CR Under Test Conditions (66%)
RC Under Test Conditions (66%)

I have decided to go to Barnes & Noble to pickup Manhattan Guide for both Number Properties and Word Translations.

Even after several rounds of thorough reading and practice in SC, I seem to be missing some of them. Especially hard ones which are completely underlined.

On RC, when I practice with OG : I am getting 95% correct. However, on the test I seem to be scoring at 66%. Same is the case with CR.

Are there any good tips that will take me to 680 league to mid 700s? In PS, how do we practice 700-800 range questions?
Current Student
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Vishy,
You seem to be doing OK in math, so I'm not sure you need to get the MGMAT math guides. If there is only one MGMAT guide you can buy, it's got to be the SC. It will help you with those really difficult SC questions.
As for RC and CR, I went through everything I could in OG11 and the verbal guide. I also bought a paper test but most of the questions in it were already covered in the official guides.

Other than that, I've also heard people use LSAT CR questions which tend to be more difficult than GMAT CR questions. You can try those if you have the time.

Good luck.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 564 [0]
 Q47  V35
Send PM
Sonibubu,

Thank you so much for an insightful reply. I agree with you that my Math score is OK. However, I do not want to leave anything to chance in Math as this is my strong area. My intention to buy MGMAT guides on weak areas is to iron out all the weaknesses in Math to be sure that in Math I am going to score on par with the toppers like you :).

I already have MGMAT SC guide, this is obviously my bible for SC. Just as in other areas like CR and RC, my scoring rate in the practice exams is far below my scoring rate in when I practice with OG 11. Perhaps, I am too time conscious during the exam and thereby rushing through the questions than giving adequate thought.

Typical problems I face in SC are

Mostly not able to spot common idioms ... generally X Y constructions.
Sentences with participle phrases
Sentences with gerunds
Though I am thorough with the concepts, sometimes find it difficult to identify modifier errors.
On the whole, if I spot the error, chances are that I will answer the question correctly.

In CR, I seem to be having problems with EXCEPT Questions as it is taking long time to cover each of the choices.
I have few issues with inference questions.

In RC, I have problems with very long passages(in MGMAT Practice Exams). I am always in two minds whether to read completely or skim through such a long passage. When I skim through such passages, I tend to get only 30% correct whereas when I read throughly I get 75% correct.

On SAT RC passages, they are very lengthy and we can not go back to the passage unless we scroll the document up. I seem to be loosing focus when I do the scroll repeatedly. However, once again I will give it a try .

Sorry to bombard you with a long message. :)

Thank you so much.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   
Moderator:
Founder
37320 posts