Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 08:53 It is currently 08 May 2024, 08:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Wharton, Chicago
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
Re: Career Opportunities in IM [#permalink]
Here are my rankings. They are subjective, but somewhat based on my reviews of school employment reports and interactions with students. I focused on your comment of "how accessible" the opportunities are. Columbia wins by a mile in my opinion.

1. Columbia
2. HBS
3. Wharton
4. Stern
5. Stanford
6. Chicago
7. Yale
8. Kellogg
9. Anderson
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V44
Send PM
3underscore: why is Columbia's reputation "drifting"? Is this because of the overall ranking, or something specific to IM?

ryguy904: would your ranking change if you were thinking about only larger hedge funds, instead of the more general IM/AM industry?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I think the general sense that Columbia is the bottom of the M7 is based on what its good at. Its a finance school but it trails HBS, Wharton, and Chicago in that areas. In other areas it trails other schools...it doesnt top any one area like all the other top schools seem to do. They do place well in banking but one thing you really need to remember is that a large number of their students are bankers on Wall St. who dont want to leave NYC...more so than at other top schools. So competition for those top jobs will be against a large number of people with experience in those fields.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
cougarblue wrote:
ryguy904: would your ranking change if you were thinking about only larger hedge funds, instead of the more general IM/AM industry?

I don't think my opinion would change. I believe that any opportunity available to a Stanford/Harvard/Wharton/Chicago student (in particular in NY) is made available to a Columbia student. Again, I'm referring to "availability" - just because it is available, doesn't mean that the Columbia student will be the one to land the job. Moreover, not all positions made available to Columbia students (due to location, alumni, network, etc.) will not be available to H/S/W/Chi folks. It's just my opinion, so you can take it for what it's worth. :)

Cheers-
RG
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Berkeley isn't really known as a financial powerhouse, but we're sending quite a few people to hedge funds and other IM jobs. Being so close to SF is key--several students did part-time internships (basically stock valuation and company analysis) for HF's in the city during the year. Lots of L/S shops in SF, plus some big ones like Farallon, Barclays, Standard Pacific, and Palo Alto Investors.
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V44
Send PM
naturallight wrote:
Berkeley isn't really known as a financial powerhouse, but we're sending quite a few people to hedge funds and other IM jobs. Being so close to SF is key--several students did part-time internships (basically stock valuation and company analysis) for HF's in the city during the year. Lots of L/S shops in SF, plus some big ones like Farallon, Barclays, Standard Pacific, and Palo Alto Investors.

How many are "quite a few?" And out of how many who are really interested in HFs? Which SF shops are actively hiring MBAs out of Haas? For instance, I know that you will be hard-pressed to find any MBAs at Farallon, except for Stanford and HBS, and those were mostly folks who did top flight PE before HF which would lead them to the MBA, not that they hire directly out of MBA programs. Isn't BGI more of a quant shop with most of their AUM in indexing? I'm not trying to be antagonistic, just trying to get the most accurate information.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Not sure that is true. A Columbia / NYU student has more location advantage to force a door open, but there a hell of a lot of firms who wouldn't want a Columbia alum and want one of their own. So... outside Tech and Waste Coast, you rarely see Stanford MBAs in Finance positions.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
93094 posts
GMAT Tutor
1904 posts