Last visit was: 04 May 2024, 17:29 It is currently 04 May 2024, 17:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Schools:Chicago R2
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1512 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
Re: What a BEAST..... They gave me a 470. No mercy...What now? [#permalink]
Kudos
Don't despair, you can improve.

How can you have studied for 5 months and yet be blown away by verbal? You should at least know what it looks like. It sounds like your tutor did not adequately prepare you regarding expectations of material.

Also if you are averaging around 580 on gmatpreps, and you need 660+ , you need to reschedule and study more. There is no reason to think you can score 80 points above your average unless you just like to gamble.

Also, why did you fly to a different city to take the exam? Try to keep your schedule as normal as possible. I took my exam on a saturday, I didn't even need to take time off work for it. No reason to put unnecessary pressure on yourself.

Bottom line is, if you really need 660 and that is your hard cutoff, you need to at least get to the point of being able to score around 620 very consistently.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Yeah, don't despair. With lots of practice and an organised schedule, you should be able to improve.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
uzoik you've come to the right place. You will find plenty of good questions on the forums,keep participating and keep practicing, you'll hit 650 in no time.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I am ashamed. I really appreciate your replies. I went out last night and drank (LARGE) for the first time in four years! Made no difference. Clearly, this GMAT is taking its toll on me mentally. I write now with so much remorse, but in reflection you guys are simply right!

The best moment in the last 24 hours for me has been reading your replies. Thanks.

Ok, back to business.

barfer wrote:
uzoik, dont warry. all u need it's just to understand the concept of Q-part. it's not so hard, believe me. after that you'll solve a half of Q-question mentally. Just again refresh the base of math then practice, practice, practice...

@ barfer. I like what you mentioned here. I never could think I could solve half after these questions mentally. I have realised what I do when answering a Math question is that I always jot stuff down, even before reading the whole question. I don't know why I do this. I think its something I picked up in school. But mentally solving the questions in the head first is definitely what could help me improve, especially with the time factor. Do you have any strategy to share?

@bsd_lover, cheers man. Your right, I always glance at the forum questions and never really get involved. I am sure there is much to learn.

@ Tarmac, you know, i think I have spent 99% studying only Quants during the last 5 months. I really left Verbal to the last 2 weeks or so. I am a native (bad) English speaker so I thought I would be OK with Verbal. What I later realised was that most RC questions were always difficult for me to grasp, the scientific essays always failed me. Furthermore, the CR questions were really difficult for me to get round. I always had to re-read the questions 2 or 3 times to understand what was being said. SC was weird. Sometimes I will get 16/17 questions right on the GMATPREP test, other times it would be a 50/50 split. Oh yes, I had to fly to a different city because the spots to take the TEST in my city was full. Yesterday was one of my deadlines for one of the schools. I have no idea what to tell them now?

Not to ask too much. Can anyone give me a 10 point plan on what to do say over the next 3 months or so.?

Thx.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Schools:Chicago R2
 Q49  V35
Send PM
uzoik wrote:

@ barfer. I like what you mentioned here. I never could think I could solve half after these questions mentally. I have realised what I do when answering a Math question is that I always jot stuff down, even before reading the whole question. I don't know why I do this. I think its something I picked up in school. But mentally solving the questions in the head first is definitely what could help me improve, especially with the time. Do you have any strategy to share?

uzoik, first of all pls return to basic things even to elementary school's ones. Any human might easily solve Q-qs to gain Q45-Q50. But the problem that you lost a math base in your childhood for sure. I know that 3 years ago my younger brother met the same barrier.
Many years ago I was just a brilliant in math & phisics (many thanks to my teachers who worked with a such damned boy 8-) ) but my brother was unlucky cause his health was weak that's why he lost many basic things of school program. So that his math skills was not weak but very weak indeed.
3 years ago he came to me and ask for supporting him with english & gmat. I helped him to find a language course and said to him that gmat is something new but I was ready to give some lesson of math. today he's about to take mba diploma of the best local GSB and works in a bank of Uni Credit group as a credit analyzer. He's still young, younger then majority of us.
OK first lesson was about common principals of math - more/less/equal, number properties, real numbers, basis of geometry etc. how many gaps in his understanding of those I found then. wow. So we repeat all those at least twice. maybe it sounds stupid for many but we did it. then we started solving easy tasks. he complained but i always said that it was his life, his choice and i might leave. so we went on. repeat the multiplication table. it's very important!!!! Even I [after tones] failed huge amount of times only with stupidest mistakes of multiplicating. then we began to find patterns. remember that in school a teacher always shows how to solve a new kind of math tasks and only after that you start hack these tasks by your own. the same principle, the same law. you find out the pattern then practice it. and partice again and again. after that you become able to solve quadratic equations mentally even with real numbers' answers. my brother practiced a lot. finally i left him and he just practiced. he practiced, practiced, and practiced again. he passed gmat i can't remember his score but he shooted the aim. now he speaks english much better than me and consults enterprise clients.

so all you really need is understand the basis of math and spend you time for practice. use this forum to find pattern which u can't recognize and practice those until you win. good luck!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 720 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Well It is always tough

However I am trying to figure out how am I gonna be over the 600's as well if you want we can study together and help each other

See ya
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Don't sweat it maing. You now know what the test is all about. Keep up the hard work and it WILL pay off.

8-)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37371 posts