Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 23:11 It is currently 14 May 2024, 23:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 565 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q47  V35
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V35
Send PM
Re: Second MBA. First one from India. [#permalink]
jallenmorris wrote:
As seen in other threads, ...

Can you explain why your current degree is insufficient for what you want to do? That might be something the school will consider. Just a thought.

Couple of explanations

I did my previous degree about 1.5 decades ago. Business world has changed quite a bit since then . I feel, this is good enough to go for second MBA

I have played predominant technical roles in my software career. I am into full time management for the last couple of years, thus need a world class MBA now.

I don't know how strong these points are, but that is what I have at the moment. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Schools: Darden '15
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
Send PM
Have you considered an Executive MBA?

With your level of experience that might be more appropriate.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Concentration: General Management , Strategy
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Vishy, I would suggest work on your GMAT, and also explore Exec MBA options with all top ranked univs. A good GMAT score, and good work exp that you have should really take you through this, as you have a good work exp, and will definately have a good story to write.

There is a good option here called the trium, that comprises an MBA from 3 schools : LSE, NYU Stern and the HEC Paris.

On a full time MBA , try IMD, Insead, Judge, Said, and Cornell. They all offer 1 year one year programs. Most European MBA schools will offer you the 1 year option.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development
Send PM
Vishy, I personally know two people with Indian MBAs who went to pursue full-time degrees from top American B-Schools. One graduated from IIM-B and went on to become a Wharton alum and the other had a regular Indian MBA and went on to pursue his MBA from Chicago. So, there is definitely hope for you, even at full time programs. But do take this with a grain of salt as both people mentioned above had stellar stats - GMAT, work-ex, reccs. I mean stellar.

To sum up, do your research, re-take the GMAT (if you are looking at top schools) and work your a$$ off on those essays.

P.S: To those of you who don't know - the IIMs don't award MBAs. They give you a P.G.D.M (Post Graduate Diploma is Management) which they say is equivalent to an MBA. So someone who went to an IIM and then went to a US School really has only one MBA in terms of the name of the degree. That's probably part of the reason US schools are open to such applicants...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
It's doable, but with your age, experience, and a previous MBA, I think an Exec MBA (some are 1 year) would make more sense.
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V35
Send PM
Darden2010 wrote:
Have you considered an Executive MBA?

With your level of experience that might be more appropriate.

Darden,

Yes, I did check about executive MBA. Not many people encouraged EMBA unless we have a very strong hope from the present employer. Further, doing EMBA could lock us to one industry, which we serve. These were the reasons for me to opt for Full Time than EMBA. In spite of having heavy opportunity cost doing full time, I am inclined towards Full Time. If nothing good works out in Full Time, I might go for EMBA as last option.
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V35
Send PM
bhatiagp wrote:
Vishy, I would suggest work on your GMAT, and also explore Exec MBA options with all top ranked univs. A good GMAT score, and good work exp that you have should really take you through this, as you have a good work exp, and will definately have a good story to write.

There is a good option here called the trium, that comprises an MBA from 3 schools : LSE, NYU Stern and the HEC Paris.

On a full time MBA , try IMD, Insead, Judge, Said, and Cornell. They all offer 1 year one year programs. Most European MBA schools will offer you the 1 year option.

Bhatia,

This is the first time I am hearing about "Trium" can you please tell me more about it?

I am inclined towards Full time MBA than EMBA... however if the full time options are ruled out, I will go for EMBA.
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V35
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
It's doable, but with your age, experience, and a previous MBA, I think an Exec MBA (some are 1 year) would make more sense.

I believe MBA brings with it a improvement in personality than just completing the course material. There is a quite a bit we gain in the campus apart from just completing theory part of it. This and other reasons I mentioned earlier are stopping me from considering EMBA actively as my first option. Yes! If I do not have a Full Time option, I will take it up.

Your corrections are welcome. :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
vishy007 wrote:
I believe MBA brings with it a improvement in personality than just completing the course material. There is a quite a bit we gain in the campus apart from just completing theory part of it. This and other reasons I mentioned earlier are stopping me from considering EMBA actively as my first option. Yes! If I do not have a Full Time option, I will take it up.

Your corrections are welcome. :)

I fully agree that the MBA experience is much more than just the theory, otherwise I would not have decided to do an MBA. I'm just commenting on the path ahead for someone with your profile. You got your work cut out for you, but it's still possible if you really go for it. Just have a backup plan in place, that's all I'm saying. :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
Alternatively most European MBA's are 1 year or just over and they are full time too. One particularly good one for older applicants in the UK is Ashridge.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Concentration: General Management , Strategy
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Trium is an ExecMBA program that has three schools very well known schools involved in conferring the MBA degree :- LSE, HEC, and NYU Stern. It is an Executive MBA program, but they require atleast 10 years of work ex to qualify, with 5 years of Management work ex to qualify.

GMAT is needed for those who have less than 15 years of work exp.

It is a 16 month program.

The website for the same is :- https://www.triumemba.org
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V35
Send PM
Thank you guys!

I will concentrate on improving my GMAT Score hoping one of the full time colleges will click for me. :?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Said
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GPA: 2.9
WE:Marketing (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi, reviving this thread instead of creating a new one on Double MBAs

https://m.economictimes.com/PDAET/articl ... 374519.cms

Here is an interesting article on the trend of Indians doing second MBAs - the first MBA from India at an age when one apparently didn't know what's best and the second MBA from the US or Europe at an age when one has several years of experience and has a better understanding of what one wants from life.
GMAT Club Bot