Last visit was: 03 Jun 2024, 14:41 It is currently 03 Jun 2024, 14:41
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Schools:Baruch / Zicklin
 V3
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: What makes for a good story? [#permalink]
Its my opinion that a good story is one that engages the reader...you want them to route for you. So obviously you want to be memorable in a good way. Keeping someones interest who has to read fifty, 1k word answers to the same question is vital...you dont want it to be the same thing as everyone else's. Its not necessarily having the most amazing material but how you present it.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
compelling, engaging, informative and tells the adcom about who you are.
Director
Director
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Thanks everyone. From your responses, I feel like I was on the right track, but might have missed some key points.

River, I have wondered about my material. I mean, the problem may just be I'm just an average candidate trying to apply to the top schools.

sudden, I think my essays did have at least some personality, it wasn;t all facts. However, I probably failed to communicate much adversity, because I did not want to come across a whiny and I know I can sometimes be whiny in real life!

It's been a while since I looked at my essays - I need to start looking into them again now that schools will start releasing questions. I might come back with more questions - but thanks again for your responses.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I do think that if you have a common story you need to work the right angles better than most peoples. If you are applying from a background that is very similar to others dont use the same tactic.
Director
Director
 Q49  V45
Send PM
I agree river. That's why I found this a little difficult for me. I personally don't think I went through any major adversities in life and I do know of people who have gone through a lot more - so anything I said may have just sounded complaining about the relatively minor problems I overcame. I do have a couple of things different about me, but I did not know how to weave that into my essays all the time.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
hsampath wrote:
I agree river. That's why I found this a little difficult for me. I personally don't think I went through any major adversities in life and I do know of people who have gone through a lot more - so anything I said may have just sounded complaining about the relatively minor problems I overcame. I do have a couple of things different about me, but I did not know how to weave that into my essays all the time.

In my (limited) experince, for the applicant it feels "normal" because they lived it. But to the outside person, there is a wow factor. There is an angle to everything. Also, there is no such thing as "average" candiates. Everyone has done amazing and interesting things, you just need to figure out what and how that ties into the essay in question.
Director
Director
 Q49  V45
Send PM
thanks zakk. There are probably a couple of differentiating factors for me, but I need to find out what to bring up in my essays and how. I know one thing, I certainly am going to try and get feedback from 3-4 people on my essays unlike last year.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I think that to write a good essay a person needs to talk about something that they know very well. If this is an something that they have done or experienced, then I believe it is important to show insight through reflection.

I believe adcomms are interested not only in people who do lots of things, but more so people who learn a lot form what they do. Two people may have the same experiences, but the person who comes out stronger is the one that shows that he has though about (reflected) on his/her experiences more so than the other.

Anyway, this is just my opinion.
Director
Director
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Thanks, no danger of me talking abt too many things - I dont have that much to talk about :)
GMAT Club Bot