Last visit was: 23 May 2024, 02:35 It is currently 23 May 2024, 02:35
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:Attending Stanford
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:Attending Stanford
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Re: Why are B-schools trending younger? Is 25 the golden age? [#permalink]
terry12 wrote:
Knew about the compensation (though I still find it insane), didn't know about the hours. Clearly HF does not occupy a prominent position on my radar screen :)

Yeah it's fairly vulgar. Most HF investors are very quant-oriented and you need to be very quant in order to break in.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Also, you must be able to stay calm in a high pressured atmosphere. The job is very risky. However, all investments are suppose to be protected from the downside from sort of hedge. Hence the name hedge funds. However, this is hardly the case with many hedge funds.

Notable collapses:

Ex.

Infamous Longterm capital management, amaranth advisor's,....many more!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
 Q47  V40 GMAT 2: 710  Q45  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Send PM
I am just about through with 'When Genius Failed' by Roger Loewenstein.

I really recommend it for those who want to learn more about how Hedge Funds operate - not saying that all of em make mistakes of the magnitude of LTCM. But it is still an interesting insight into this world, especially for those of us who havent worked in Finance.

TFN wrote:
Also, you must be able to stay calm in a high pressured atmosphere. The job is very risky. However, all investments are suppose to be protected from the downside from sort of hedge. Hence the name hedge funds. However, this is hardly the case with many hedge funds.

Notable collapses:

Ex.

Infamous Longterm capital management, amaranth advisor's,....many more!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Schools: Darden '15
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
Send PM
yey I am golden !!! :) I am starting my MBA program 10 days after my 25th b-day :)

ok, but I will let you know how golden my job search is going to be, given the lack of WE :(
... probably not so golden :cry:

I actually think 27-28 is the golden age because by then you would have had enough of WE to compete for all jobs posted on-campus
Current Student
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
Send PM
but dont you think that being younger is a big advantage when it comes to the more typicaly post MBA track i.e. MC and IB? where they want you young so that they can work you like slave drivers?

Darden2010 wrote:
yey I am golden !!! :) I am starting my MBA program 10 days after my 25th b-day :)

ok, but I will let you know how golden my job search is going to be, given the lack of WE :(
... probably not so golden :cry:

I actually think 27-28 is the golden age because by then you would have had enough of WE to compete for all jobs posted on-campus
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Schools: Darden '15
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
Send PM
hmmm what does age have to do with slavery?
Actually I think the newer generation (the millenians or sth like that) is very not cool with working overtime. We are not so obedient and we know we have options so therefore we are not cool with being slaves to a company. I think that the new generation is much more difficult to deal with than the 'slightly' older people, who have 'slighlty' different values.
And about being able to mold people, I think that sucessfull people get molded and re-molded all the time, and that is one of the reasons they are sucessfull. So no matter what age you are you have to be open to being molded if you want to be sucessfull. And therefore I think a sucessfull 25 y.o and 30 y.o would both have the same 'molding coefficient' :)

It is not like 27-28-30 are less likely to be slaves than 25 y.o.
Current Student
Send PM
alright -- hyperbole was used for effect -- I think this whole generation difference is overplayed a little too much these days. Besides I think there are tangible differences between being 25 vs. 28 in terms of what your expectations of work life balance are.

Darden2010 wrote:
hmmm what does age have to do with slavery?
Actually I think the newer generation (the millenians or sth like that) is very not cool with working overtime. We are not so obedient and we know we have options so therefore we are not cool with being slaves to a company.

It is not like 27-28-30 are less likely to be slaves than 25 y.o.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 701 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
i think there are two differences between a 25 yo and a 28-30 yo:

- the "slightly" older person may have gotten married or have kids by 28-30, which would limit their desire to work like slaves
- for someone like me, I worked like a slave from 24-28 yo and got burned out, which is why I highly doubt I would apply to MC/IB jobs just because I don't want those slave like work hours again.

Just my 2 cents, might not apply to most "slightly" older people, but that's simply my observation.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Hmmm, so being married can hurt your chances of entering MC? I will be 27 at matriculation and married for 1.5 years already.

Plus, doesnt being married make people WANT to work like slaves???? :P

Does being married help/hurt chances of getting into b-school? Anybody have good info on that?

kryzak wrote:

- the "slightly" older person may have gotten married or have kids by 28-30, which would limit their desire to work like slaves
- for someone like me, I worked like a slave from 24-28 yo and got burned out, which is why I highly doubt I would apply to MC/IB jobs just because I don't want those slave like work hours again.

Just my 2 cents, might not apply to most "slightly" older people, but that's simply my observation.
Current Student
Send PM
as someone who is 25 and has already been married for 1.5 yrs I looked into this issue and the overwhelming response was that it doesnt really matter as far as your chances of admissions are concerned. Obviously some schools seem to attract older students and hence the ratio of married people goes up.

As far as wanting to work like slaves go -- agree fully!!

raabenb wrote:
Hmmm, so being married can hurt your chances of entering MC? I will be 27 at matriculation and married for 1.5 years already.

Plus, doesnt being married make people WANT to work like slaves???? :P

Does being married help/hurt chances of getting into b-school? Anybody have good info on that?

kryzak wrote:

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 701 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
no, I don't think being married or not matters for b-school admission. All I'm speculating is the reason for why older (and/or married) people might not want to work 80-100 hour weeks or be on travel all the time versus younger and single people, that's all.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
 Q48  V46
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
no, I don't think being married or not matters for b-school admission. All I'm speculating is the reason for why older (and/or married) people might not want to work 80-100 hour weeks or be on travel all the time versus younger and single people, that's all.

I agree. At 24/25 I seriously considered a MC job and would have been OK with the long hours. At 30, after 3+ years of a 35-40 hour/ week job and on the verge of married life, I dont think I will ever accept a job which involves working more than 45 hours a week.this obviously would make me a very undesirable candidate for a MC/IB firm.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
rsrinivasan wrote:
I agree. At 24/25 I seriously considered a MC job and would have been OK with the long hours. At 30, after 3+ years of a 35-40 hour/ week job and on the verge of married life, I dont think I will ever accept a job which involves working more than 45 hours a week.this obviously would make me a very undesirable candidate for a MC/IB firm.

Well, while I would like to say otherwise, that is going to make you undesirable to almost all post MBA positions. I would say that the average work load of the people I talk to is about mid 50's to mid 60 hours per week (this is in industry, not MC/IB). It seems that part of our value as MBAs is our willingness to kill ourselves for our jobs.
Intern
Intern
 Q48  V46
Send PM
bherronp wrote:

Well, while I would like to say otherwise, that is going to make you undesirable to almost all post MBA positions. I would say that the average work load of the people I talk to is about mid 50's to mid 60 hours per week (this is in industry, not MC/IB). It seems that part of our value as MBAs is our willingness to kill ourselves for our jobs.

I agree it would take me out of the reckoning for most typical post-MBA opportunities . I am looking at part-time MBA programs and not looking for a career change and I should be at least at a Director level by the time I graduate. All of senior management in my company and in other companies that might be a good fit have the kind of hours that I mentioned. I think at general management type roles, the money is more for knowledge and judgment and less for the hours put in. Of course in a work environment where hours are billable - legal, consulting etc- this does not hold good.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
rsrinivasan wrote:
All of senior management in my company and in other companies that might be a good fit have the kind of hours that I mentioned. I think at general management type roles, the money is more for knowledge and judgment and less for the hours put in.

What industry do you work in, if you don't mind saying? I agree that in most fields the value of an MBA manager should come from their knowledge, training and expertiese, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to generally be that way.
Intern
Intern
 Q48  V46
Send PM
I work in Interactive Marketing. Maybe I am looking at a small sample size, but looking at the enrollment of part-time MBA students in Chicago, it seems there are a number of people with time to spend on school which would be pretty impossible with a 60+ hour work week.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
I don't think the MC is too bad if you can fly out Monday, be back Thursday night, and get regular office hours on Friday. That way you can spend the weekend with the significant other. I think 2-3 years of this isn't terrible, anything more than that would be a stretch for me.

*Married 3 years

rsrinivasan wrote:
kryzak wrote:

GMAT Club Bot
   1   2