Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 08:11 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 08:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 722 [6]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1953 [14]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 722 [1]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 938 [1]
 Q50  V34
Send PM
Re: USE OF "IF" and "WOULD" - Confused [#permalink]
Kudos
iCandy has explained it, for more infomration refer to Manhattan SC Guide chapter 3 (Verb Tense, Mood, and Voice Strategy). You can find a whole section on If-Then construction.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1953 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Kudos
If you look at the first part of the sentence in Q 2, it tells us that the Street Corner PO boxes have already been removed and the rep is repsonding to criticism. Now the rep can only talk about in the past tense. The people simply cant use them because the boxes are gone.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 938 [1]
 Q50  V34
Send PM
Kudos
aaron22197 wrote:
why is A incorrect in Q2 ?

In a press release, a local representative of the US Postal Service responded to criticism over the removal of street corner postal drop boxes, claiming that if more people are actually using the drop boxes for their mail, they will be better able to “pay their keep.”

* more people are actually using the drop boxes for their mail, they will
* the drop boxes were actually used by any more people for their mail, they will
* the more people who are actually using the drop boxes for their mail will make them
* the drop boxes are put to better use when more people actually use them for their mail, they will
* more people actually used the drop boxes for their mail, they would

This question talk about past action. Ununderlined portion is in past tense, there is no need to switch tense until there is compelling reason for it. Thereby E wins over A.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
aaron: the use of would vs will is actually quite simple..

when you make a prediction..ie you are betting your house on it..I bet YOU WILL score high on GMAT..
so prediction= some degree of confidence and thus use WILL

now..in a classic IF THEN structure if the structure is subjunctive..i.e expressing a desired outcome..would is used..

if I study every day, i would score high..

I predict that you will score HIGH cause you are SMART.

aaron22197 wrote:
Most of us might have seen this in the OG(126). OA here is D- OE states that use of conditional "would" is incorrect.

A wildlife expert predicts that the reintroduction of the caribou into northern Minnesota would fail if the density of the timber wolf population in that region is more numerous than one wolf for every 39 square miles.

A) would fail if the density of the timber wolf population in that region is more numerous than
B) would fail provided the density of the timber wolf population in that rgion is more than
C) should fail if the timber wolf density in that region was greater than
D) will fail if the density of the timber wolf population in that region is greater than
E) will fail if the timber wolf density in that region were more numerous than

Now to the 2nd question from one of our verbal sets

In a press release, a local representative of the US Postal Service responded to criticism over the removal of street corner postal drop boxes, claiming that if more people are actually using the drop boxes for their mail, they will be better able to “pay their keep.”

* the drop boxes were actually used by any more people for their mail, they will
* the more people who are actually using the drop boxes for their mail will make them
* the drop boxes are put to better use when more people actually use them for their mail, they will

In this case, OA is E

Also I remember reading some posts that mentioned that use of "IF" and "WOULD" in the same sentence is incorrect. I'm confused.

I'm sure I'm missing something here. SC Gurus????
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 722 [0]
Send PM
appreciate everyone's 2 cents
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Thanks icandy..nice exp..
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 759 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
"If" sentences can have "would" and "could" but never use "should" with "if".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
good input everyone and good topic.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Also note that,

A wildlife expert PREDICTS ..

and not

A wildlife expert PREDICTED ..

In you example,

The local representative RESPONDED ..

had it been responds .. then you could have used WILL.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
aaron22197 wrote:
Most of us might have seen this in the OG(126). OA here is D- OE states that use of conditional "would" is incorrect.

A wildlife expert predicts that the reintroduction of the caribou into northern Minnesota would fail if the density of the timber wolf population in that region is more numerous than one wolf for every 39 square miles.

A) would fail if the density of the timber wolf population in that region is more numerous than
B) would fail provided the density of the timber wolf population in that rgion is more than
C) should fail if the timber wolf density in that region was greater than
D) will fail if the density of the timber wolf population in that region is greater than
E) will fail if the timber wolf density in that region were more numerous than

Now to the 2nd question from one of our verbal sets

In this case, OA is E

Also I remember reading some posts that mentioned that use of "IF" and "WOULD" in the same sentence is incorrect. I'm confused.

I'm sure I'm missing something here. SC Gurus????

The correct answer is actually "D" Since we are using the present, we will use "WILL" and eliminate all other possible answer choices. Another element that we need to focus on is the rest of the sentence. Choice "E" includes" were" and is somewhat less preferably structured that answer choice "D" , which provides "WILL" and "is greater" as oppose to "was greater".

Hope this helps to clarify!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.69
Send PM
By conditional clause, do you mean the ‘then’ clause?

If not, what is conditional clause?

icandy wrote:
If clause in present tense, then clause in the form of "will + base verb"

If clause in past tense, then clause in the form of " Would/Could + base verb "

If clause in past perfect tense, then clause in the form of "Would/Could + have + past participle "

In 1st Q, look at the tense if clause. "is" signifies present tense. needs will + base verb

In the 2nd Q actually used shows past tense, needs "Would/Could + base verb"

Also I remember reading some posts that mentioned that use of "IF" and "WOULD" in the same sentence is incorrect. I'm confused

Let me try. If clause will never have would in it. the conditional clause can have would, just like in the 2nd Q. The same sentence can have would, but only in the conditional clause

Does it help?

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13966 posts