Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 17:03 It is currently 14 May 2024, 17:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4729 [162]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 696 [37]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q51  V50
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 623 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [4]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Re: An equilateral triangle ABC is inscribed in square ADEF, forming three [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Here is how I approached the problem.

AD (side of square) = 1
BE (side of 45:45:90 triangle) = y
CB (side of equilateral triangle) = z

We're looking for the ratio of the area of BEC to ADB, or \(\frac{BEC}{ADB}\)

If area of Tri. BEC = \(\frac{y^2}{2}\) and Tri.ADB = \(\frac{1(1-y)}{2}\) then we have
\(\frac{y^2}{2} * \frac{2}{1-y} = \frac{y^2}{1-y}\)

if y = \(\frac{1}{2}\), then y^2 = 1/4 and 1-y = 1/2, so we get 1/4 : 1/2 or 1/2....that's not an option.

Attachment:
TriangleInscribed.jpg
TriangleInscribed.jpg [ 12.87 KiB | Viewed 25749 times ]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 327 [3]
Send PM
Re: An equilateral triangle ABC is inscribed in square ADEF, forming three [#permalink]
Kudos
tarek99 wrote:
An equilateral triangle ABC is inscribed in square ADEF, forming three right triangles: ADB, ACF and BEC. What is the ratio of the area of triangle BEC to that of triangle ADB?

a) 4/3
b) sqrt(s)
c) 2
d) 5/2
e) sqrt(5)

I believe the size of these triangles can vary, meaning we can increase one to decrease the size of another. So, we can't come up with right answer unless they provide us pre-configured info. No?
If not, I guess I would just press Next on this one :oops:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4729 [0]
 Q49  V35
Send PM
durgesh79 wrote:
side of triangle BCE = a
side of square = (a+b)
two sides of triangle ACF are b and (a+b)

side of equilatrel triangle = \(a*sqrt(2)\)

sum of area of all triangles = area of square

sqrt(3)/4 * 2a^2 + 1/2 a^2 + 2 * 1/2 * b(a+b) = (a+b)^2

simplify this

b = (sqrt(3) - 1)/2 * a
a+b = a * ( sqrt(3) + 1) / 2

area of BCE = 1/2 a^2
area of AFC = 1/2 * b * (a+b)
= 1/2 * a^2 (3-1) / 4

ratio = 2: 1

answer C

would you please explain how you got the side of the equilateral triangle to be

time to solve : 7 minutes :(

would you please explain how you got the side of the equilateral triangle to be \(a*sqrt(2)\)?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
 Q47  V42
Send PM
if he makes 1 side, (the base) of BCE = a, it's a 45:45:90 triangle, so it has \(1:1:\sqrt{2}\) sides. Therefore, one side of the triangle makes that hypotnuse and you have \(a\sqrt{2}\)

See the picture I drew above. I have the sides of BCE = y and the hypotnuse = z. He labeled his \(a\) rather than y like I did.

tarek99 wrote:
durgesh79 wrote:
side of triangle BCE = a
side of square = (a+b)

simplify this

b = (sqrt(3) - 1)/2 * a

area of BCE = 1/2 a^2
= 1/2 * a^2 (3-1) / 4

answer C

would you please explain how you got the side of the equilateral triangle to be \(a*sqrt(2)\)?

Originally posted by jallenmorris on 17 Jul 2008, 10:43.
Last edited by jallenmorris on 17 Jul 2008, 10:44, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 305 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship, Health Care
Schools:Wharton
 Q50  V44
Send PM
tarek99 wrote:
durgesh79 wrote:
side of triangle BCE = a
side of square = (a+b)

simplify this

b = (sqrt(3) - 1)/2 * a

area of BCE = 1/2 a^2
= 1/2 * a^2 (3-1) / 4

answer C

The sides are equal, so it's a 45/45/90 triangle. You know the sides are equal because the inscribed triangle is equilateral.
VP
VP
 Q47  V42
Send PM
durgesh, can you label which of these goes to which triangle and how you came up with \(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}\)?

\(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}\) * 2a^2

1/2 a^2

2 * 1/2 * b(a+b)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 140 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
How are you guys taking wo sides as contant i am not getting it...........as how the triangle is alligned can vary and so is the ratio of the sides....like allen has taken BE and CE as same is there any rule or was it just an asuumption
Director
Director
 Q49  V35
Send PM
jallenmorris wrote:
if he makes 1 side, (the base) of BCE = a, it's a 45:45:90 triangle, so it has \(1:1:\sqrt{2}\) sides. Therefore, one side of the triangle makes that hypotnuse and you have \(a\sqrt{2}\)

See the picture I drew above. I have the sides of BCE = y and the hypotnuse = z. He labeled his \(a\) rather than y like I did.

tarek99 wrote:
durgesh79 wrote:
side of triangle BCE = a
side of square = (a+b)

simplify this

b = (sqrt(3) - 1)/2 * a

area of BCE = 1/2 a^2
= 1/2 * a^2 (3-1) / 4

answer C

but how can you decide that it's a 45:45:90 triangle? what if it's a 30:60:90 triangle? how can you be so sure which one it is? for example, if it were a 30:60:90 triangle, than the hypotenuse would be 2a, then what???

Originally posted by tarek99 on 17 Jul 2008, 10:54.
Last edited by tarek99 on 17 Jul 2008, 11:02, edited 3 times in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 305 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship, Health Care
Schools:Wharton
 Q50  V44
Send PM
apurva1985 wrote:
How are you guys taking wo sides as contant i am not getting it...........as how the triangle is alligned can vary and so is the ratio of the sides....like allen has taken BE and CE as same is there any rule or was it just an asuumption

There's only one way the triangle can align if it's an equilateral triangle.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 140 [0]
Send PM
That is what i was trying to say is that the answer can vary from person to person..........Plz can somebody expalin it in detail.........
VP
VP
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Because we know it is an equilateral triangle inscribe in a square and both the square and triangle share point A. So the sides coming from point A for the triangle towards the other sides fo the square are the same length.

Look at my post above with the drawing in it. I believe that to be a rather accurate picture of this problem (although not drawn to scale or perfect angles).

We know the inscribed triangle is an equialteral (also an iscoceles). In order for the 2 sides to extend out and hit the square, they must touch in the exact same spot (relative to the side) or one side of the triangle would be longer than the other and it would no longer be equilater (or iscoceles).

tarek99 wrote:

but how can you decide that it's a 45:45:90 triangle? what if it's a 30:60:90 triangle? how can you be so sure which one it is?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Even i was feeling that as if you try to distribute the angles what will be the angles of the triangle..........either what i am decepting is wrong or the problem is wrong..........i am going by the figure given by allen
jallenmorris wrote:
Because we know it is an equilateral triangle inscribe in a square and both the square and triangle share point A. So the sides coming from point A for the triangle towards the other sides fo the square are the same length.

Look at my post above with the drawing in it. I believe that to be a rather accurate picture of this problem (although not drawn to scale or perfect angles).

We know the inscribed triangle is an equialteral (also an iscoceles). In order for the 2 sides to extend out and hit the square, they must touch in the exact same spot (relative to the side) or one side of the triangle would be longer than the other and it would no longer be equilater (or iscoceles).

tarek99 wrote:

but how can you decide that it's a 45:45:90 triangle? what if it's a 30:60:90 triangle? how can you be so sure which one it is?
Director
Director
 Q49  V35
Send PM
jallenmorris wrote:

tarek99 wrote:

fine, but this only tells me that ADB and AFC are equal and that DB is the same as CF. I still can't see how we choose the triangle to be either 45:45:90 or 30:60:90. I'm really sorry for troubling you, but would you please explain this point?
thanks
Manager
Manager
Send PM
tarek99 wrote:
jallenmorris wrote:

tarek99 wrote:

fine, but this only tells me that ADB and AFC are equal and that DB is the same as CF. I still can't see how we choose the triangle to be either 45:45:90 or 30:60:90. I'm really sorry for troubling you, but would you please explain this point?
thanks

I think i have got it in (triangle ABD) angle BAD((90-60)/2)=15,angle ADB=90,angle ABD=75, using these values in triangle BCE angle cbe will be(180-75-60=45) so from here we got it
i suppose rest can be calculated with this
VP
VP
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Attachment:
TriangleExplanation.jpg
TriangleExplanation.jpg [ 36.61 KiB | Viewed 24411 times ]
Director
Director
 Q49  V35
Send PM
perfect! that fills the gap in the puzzle! i'll now work through my calculations again to see whether i can get the final answer. thanks
Director
Director
 Q49  V35
Send PM
I really appreciate it. ok, what a brutal problem this has been! hehe....i managed to get to the correct answer. How about we all try to figure out whether there could be a faster way to solve this? I honestly don't believe that the GMAC guys actually expect us to use all these endless steps to arrive to our answer. There must be a much faster or more abstract way to solve this....hmm...
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
Math Expert
93261 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3136 posts