Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 01:43 It is currently 03 May 2024, 01:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1512 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
 Q49  V44
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9257 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: solve without trig [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Or notice the lines are perpendicular, so their slopes are negative reciprocals:

-from (-root(3), 1) to (0,0), you go right by root(3) and down by 1.

-from the origin, on a perpendicular line, to find a point the same distance away as (-root(3), 1), you can go right by 1 and up by root(3). The point is (1, root(3)).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 299 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Guys dont confuse your self. This is a isoceles traingle. It is not 30,60,90 traingle.

20 sec solution:

2 sides are radius of same circle. So you have to make sure that the distance remains same (i.e. sqrt(3)). Since we know that the center is 0,0. S = sqrt(3).

Ans is D
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
rao_1857,

There are actually quite a few triangles made with this. I see what you're saying that the radius forms a triangle also, so it would be an iscoceles triangle, but I don't believe that is the easiest method for solving this problem.

We know point O is the origin, and then the point on the left is \((\sqrt{3},1)\) If you use the x-axis as one side of that triangle, and then go up to the point, you get another triangle. This one is actually a 30:60:90 triangle. The bottom (or x-axis) has a length of \(sqrt(3)\) and the other side of the triangle (the hypotnuse is the same as the radius) is 1, so \(1^2 + sqrt{3}^2 = 4\) so the radius is 2.

We don't even really need to know this to solve the problem. Because the middle angle formed by the two radii (?) is a 90 degree angle, we know that the values of the points for x and y will switch. x = \(sqrt{3}\) so t on the other side = \(sqrt{3}\) and y = 1, so s =1 on the other side. Actually a very simple problem and no trig needed.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
 Q49  V44
Send PM
rao_1857 wrote:
Guys dont confuse your self. This is a isoceles traingle. It is not 30,60,90 traingle.

20 sec solution:

2 sides are radius of same circle. So you have to make sure that the distance remains same (i.e. sqrt(3)). Since we know that the center is 0,0. S = sqrt(3).

Ans is D

while you're right that the middle triangle is an isoceles triangle, your conclusion is flawed - the angles are not the same on either side of the middle isoceles triangle and so the distance does not remain the same.

Your reasoning would only be correct if the angle on either side of the middle triangle is equal - which is not the case here. So the answer is actually 1 - choice B, and not sqrt 3 - choice D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
jallenmorris wrote:
rao_1857,

There are actually quite a few triangles made with this. I see what you're saying that the radius forms a triangle also, so it would be an iscoceles triangle, but I don't believe that is the easiest method for solving this problem.

We know point O is the origin, and then the point on the left is \((\sqrt{3},1)\) If you use the x-axis as one side of that triangle, and then go up to the point, you get another triangle. This one is actually a 30:60:90 triangle. The bottom (or x-axis) has a length of \(sqrt(3)\) and the other side of the triangle (the hypotnuse is the same as the radius) is 1, so \(1^2 + sqrt{3}^2 = 4\) so the radius is 2.

We don't even really need to know this to solve the problem. Because the middle angle formed by the two radii (?) is a 90 degree angle, we know that the values of the points for x and y will switch. x = \(sqrt{3}\) so t on the other side = \(sqrt{3}\) and y = 1, so s =1 on the other side. Actually a very simple problem and no trig needed.

Thats right and I see your point but why do we need to consider that triangle if we can easily solve it using the isoceles traigle with 2 radii. I am little confused now....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
jasonc wrote:
rao_1857 wrote:

20 sec solution:

Ans is D

while you're right that the middle triangle is an isoceles triangle, your conclusion is flawed - the angles are not the same on either side of the middle isoceles triangle and so the distance does not remain the same.

Your reasoning would only be correct if the angle on either side of the middle triangle is equal - which is not the case here. So the answer is actually 1 - choice B, and not sqrt 3 - choice D

Pardon my ignorance. May be I am looking from diff view. But you are that angles are not same on the isocelec traingle..... by definition of isoceles triangle this is not true.
GMAT Tutor
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
rao_1857 wrote:

20 sec solution:

Ans is D

If Q is any other point on the circle, you'll get an isosceles triangle. If Q is (0,2), or (2,0), or (root(2), root(2)), the distances OP and OQ will be equal. If you aren't somehow using the right angle in the diagram, you aren't doing the problem correctly.

The answer is 1, as explained above.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 622 [0]
Send PM
you should never take diagram given in geomatry question as an accurate one. If i change the diagram to this, I'm sure no one will answer \(sqrt(3)\)

the 30-60-90 traingle mentioned by JasonC are actually these two traingles.

the answer is 1.

Attachment:
circle.JPG
circle.JPG [ 9.22 KiB | Viewed 2095 times ]
GMAT Tutor
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
Nice diagram, durgesh, and a good illustration of what's really happening here (but your 30 degree angle is bigger than the 60 degree angle! :) ) The angle on the left should be 30, and on the right should be 60, with the given co-ordinates for P and Q.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1726 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
durgesh79 wrote:
you should never take diagram given in geomatry question as an accurate one. If i change the diagram to this, I'm sure no one will answer \(sqrt(3)\)

the answer is 1.

Attachment:
circle.JPG

nice one, but 60 should be 30 and 30 should be 60.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
GMAT TIGER wrote:
durgesh79 wrote:

the answer is 1.

Attachment:
circle.JPG

nice one, but 60 should be 30 and 30 should be 60.

oops :oops:
Manager
Manager
Send PM
IanStewart wrote:
Nice diagram, durgesh, and a good illustration of what's really happening here (but your 30 degree angle is bigger than the 60 degree angle! :) ) The angle on the left should be 30, and on the right should be 60, with the given co-ordinates for P and Q.

Thanks Ian... it was a typo :oops: ...
i think I now can distinguish between 60 and 30 angles.... :lol: so no need for me to go back to highschool geomatry books ....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
Thats right and I see your point but why do we need to consider that triangle if we can easily solve it using the isoceles traigle with 2 radii. I am little confused now....

Because the isoceles triangle with 2 radii is "tilted" - its hypotenuse is not parallel to the x-axis. If, instead, P was (-2/sqrt(2),2/sqrt(2)) then Q was (2/sqrt(2),2/sqrt(2))
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jallenmorris wrote:
rao_1857,

how do you know "the values of the points for x and y will switch"?
by trying values, i can see this, but is there a theorom for this?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
so i guess i have to remember my cosine and sine ratios for 30, 45 and 60?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sset009 wrote:
so i guess i have to remember my cosine and sine ratios for 30, 45 and 60?

if you are talking abt this question, i dont think so....

Slope of line OP = \((1-0)/(-sqrt3 - 0) = - 1/sqrt3\)
slope of line OQ = t/s

both lines are perpendicular = \((-1/sqrt3) * (t/s) = -1\)

\(t = sqrt3 * s\) -------- (1)

both P and Q are points on circle
\(t^2 + s^2 = 1^2 + (sqrt3)^2 = 4\) --------(2)

Solve for s and you'll get s = 1
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
durgesh79 wrote:

the answer is 1.

Attachment:
circle.JPG

aah ... I see what you are saying. the two triangles are only sharing the hypotenus. the bases are exchanged. Thnaks ...

PS:- GOD! when am I gonna stop doing these stupid mistakes.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Quantitative Questions Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts