Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 06:08 It is currently 06 May 2024, 06:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 146 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks guyz.Itz been a day now and I have digested the fact that I have been defeated.To be honest, the scores are so low that I feel ashamed to give the other details.

My determination is even more stronger now and I'll take the test again in a couple of months.GMAT has to be tamed and I'll do that!

Verbal was my weak area and I was living with this fact.But I'll work harder even more now and see to it that I don't leave any room for improvements anywhere.

A question for you all:
1)SC is something where there are some particular types,eg: misplaced modifiers,improper pronouns,parallelism etc.
What does one do for CR ? I don't follow a particular strategy for this question type.The process I follow is that I simply read the question and then using Process of Elimination find the answer.Is this the correct approach?

2)RC has been my weakest.What should be the approach. Will practising a lot of questions help me?

3)CAT: Iam done with OG and Kaplan.I'll go through them again. But what do I do about Mock tests? I would like to give some more tests where the difficulty level is higher.Any suggestions.

I'll be an active member of this group and regularly take part in the discussions. GMAT MATH challenge was something that I was avoiding. I'll take those too regularly.

In short, I'll do everything and anything this time to succeed.
For the next two months, a 510 GMAT score will not let me sleep peacefully.I know that it is going to haunt me.

I have accepted it as a challenge to beat the exam. :!:
Thanks again folks !
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Schools:Tuck'08
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Newkid,

First everybody say that it's just a test and that you will certainly do better the next time but I think that everybody also understand and feel that it's quite a terrible feeling to get a bad score at GMAT...we are all part of this website because we are all very focused on getting a great score at the GMAT.
Some people will just do a MBA to do one, they won't try to get the best school...however this is why we are all here, I think it's like a common objective for all of us...
I hope you can really get a better score, I would like everybody to get a 700 :-D However, after that the schools will require to get 750 instead of 700 :evil:

Anyway, Verbal is also my weak area. I've never taken the exam so far, it is scheduled early next month for me and I'm currently studying hard on Kaplan. I got a 650 on the diagnostic that I've never done before so I feel like I have some opportunities to reach 680-690. It would be enough for me :)

However, I am so poor in RC..it seems like I am 3 years old. Even following the instructions of Princeton/Kaplan, I'm still bad at it. Fortunately the SC is not a big deal for me, I even think it's the easiest part of the GMAT because, mainly, there might be 6 or 7 different types of error...so it's ok.

I'm gonna check all the posts and the advices on the RC this month as I really hope to improve it. And on the other part, I'll try to improve my skills on permutation, combination and probabilities because it's my weak point on the Math section. I know this website is full of this but it's difficult to find a good way to learn step by step this permutation/probabilities things. It seems so easy in the exemples and so hard in the exam question :shock:

Come on Newkid, let's show that we have some skills ! I am with you ! We can make it :P
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
Antmavel wrote:
Hi Newkid,

First everybody say that it's just a test and that you will certainly do better the next time but I think that everybody also understand and feel that it's quite a terrible feeling to get a bad score at GMAT...we are all part of this website because we are all very focused on getting a great score at the GMAT.
Some people will just do a MBA to do one, they won't try to get the best school...however this is why we are all here, I think it's like a common objective for all of us...
I hope you can really get a better score, I would like everybody to get a 700 :-D However, after that the schools will require to get 750 instead of 700 :evil:

Anyway, Verbal is also my weak area. I've never taken the exam so far, it is scheduled early next month for me and I'm currently studying hard on Kaplan. I got a 650 on the diagnostic that I've never done before so I feel like I have some opportunities to reach 680-690. It would be enough for me :)

However, I am so poor in RC..it seems like I am 3 years old. Even following the instructions of Princeton/Kaplan, I'm still bad at it. Fortunately the SC is not a big deal for me, I even think it's the easiest part of the GMAT because, mainly, there might be 6 or 7 different types of error...so it's ok.

I'm gonna check all the posts and the advices on the RC this month as I really hope to improve it. And on the other part, I'll try to improve my skills on permutation, combination and probabilities because it's my weak point on the Math section. I know this website is full of this but it's difficult to find a good way to learn step by step this permutation/probabilities things. It seems so easy in the exemples and so hard in the exam question :shock:

Come on Newkid, let's show that we have some skills ! I am with you ! We can make it :P

Its been a long time since we had someone from china on the club. welcome to gmatclub antmavel. i have a friend in shanghai. would be nice to visit china. dont know anything about the chinese language though. :oops:

Allow me to write a bit here. It might be helpful to you and our new friends who joined since the past two weeks or so.

Your problem with probabilities is a very common one. When i started off, I found learning concepts to be extremely difficult. it was very tempting to directly solve problems and feel good about getting the right answer.

When you start off , I think the best way is to solve tough ,tough problems without time limits. Try to understand the entire process and fight for getting the answer. do not post it on gmatclub or try to look up the answer unless you have absolutely no clue about what the question is talking about. We have written some lessons on permutations and combinations and some guys have found it useful. Please go through that material. I hope you find it useful.

Genuises like AkamaiBrah have taught me all this. Akamai says that Knowledge is best retained when you struggle hard to learn it. I listened to him and it made a lot of difference. Many of us, including myself, try to avoid tough problems because they make us uncomfortable. We tend to think that such kind of problems are never there on the real GMAT. So, lets not do it. but thats not correct. What we need is strong concepts and independent thinking. No formulas, just raw concepts. And that can only be done when you try problems that are frustrating to solve. With time, those frustrating first two weeks will begin to show results. Note down all the problems and all the errors you did when you solve problems. hope fully, you will never make those mistakes again.

For RC/CR, i strongly suggest that you use Official LSAT material. Not only is this stuff standardized, but most of the questions are also tougher than the real GMAT. This is consistent with our philosophy of practising with tougher questions in the beginning to really understand how a question is solved.

Hope this helps you guys to plan your prep better.

Sincerely
Praetorian
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
Many of us, including myself, try to avoid tough problems because they make us uncomfortable. We tend to think that such kind of problems are never there on the real GMAT

Praet, right said.

I realize this every time I think about my scores now . Well, I'll be called a fool if I repeat my mistakes again. So won't take any chances now.

Antmavel, thanks for the encouraging words. Work hard and all the best for your exam. If we dream big, we need to believe that we can do it.

The SC is usually the first question on the verbal section. And this is an area where one can improve by constant practice.So if you don't want the GMAT beast to beat u in the first few moves,master the SC questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
scored 570 but not giving up [#permalink]
i took GMAT 2day and scored 570,i just cant believe it ,this is way below what i expected,the least i expected was 650 even in the worse circumstances.i scored 700 in pp and i guess that was the real culprit.
The questions in real GMAT was way too lengthy,i did well on probability though but i really messed up the timing in both the sections.
SC was very long and i had 3 RCs back to back and one at the end when i had only 3 minutes left. :evil:
i guess now i should seriously start taking full length tests and concentrate more on timing this time
can anyone suggest me some material with lengthy questions which could help me work on speed and also some tips to keep cool
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
thanks a lot [#permalink]
thanks alot for ur advice,i am goin to take it again next month and i wont spare that monster(specially the timing devil who is major accomplice of GMAT monster)

i swear i will take more full length tests every alternate day .
when are u planning to take it up,pls keep me updated as we are in the same boat

ash
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
The iim decision was right. i cleared but did not join even iima so don't fret over it.
Yep yu had some hard luck in yur test. Try once more, may be this time i's 700+ and make sure to post yur story here :)
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37392 posts