Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 19:20 It is currently 03 May 2024, 19:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [8]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [3]
Send PM
Re: IB in the US - how many days off per year on average? [#permalink]
Kudos
No problem, I'm not trying to scare anyone from going into banking or making it seem less glamorous (even though in reality it really is). Banking is a great place to start a career, earn your stripes, open doors, whatever you want to call it. It's definitely true. However keep in mind - many (really the majority) of people leave banking after a number of years just to join the same careers (corporate, start-ups, etc) in roles that they could have earned just by starting out in that said job to begin with. When you put it that way, there's little benefit of going that route except for some health problems, a failed marriage and maybe an ulcer (too many people fall into the trap of the lifestyle and end up spending all their bonuses anyway) It becomes hard to leave not because many like the job but because they have fallen prey to an unrealistic lifestyle that cannot be maintained. Dropping $1000 on a dinner or a strip-club gives a very small sense of personal fulfilment at the end of the day.

And for the ones that switch from banking to VC, PE or Hedge Funds is simply a change of name not of profession or environment. PE is absolutely no different than banking and you work just as much, period. The work is absolutely the same, just switch xx financial product for Leverage Finance and you got your glorified investment bank (ugh I mean PE shop). Hedge Funds are probably slightly less hours but more stress. VC can definitely be less hours but you are not making as much as banking, you really can't bank on it unless you get to Partner level and that's way harder to do than banking or PE. I speak of all these industries from first hand experience having many of my closest friends in it.

I spent 6 years in those industries to come to this conclusion. I don't regret it one little bit, but I had none of this knowledge when I walked bright-eyed and hopefull into my first banking job. At the end of the day, to each his own, right?

If I can answer any other questions, do let me know.

Originally posted by sebycb976 on 21 Jul 2008, 20:19.
Last edited by sebycb976 on 21 Jul 2008, 21:32, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
With all due respect, if you're saying something because your friends are in it, that's not first hand knowledge.

sebycb976 wrote:
I speak of all these industries from first hand experience having many of my closest friends in it.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
sebycb976 wrote:
No problem, I'm not trying to scare anyone from going into banking or making it seem less glamorous (even though in reality it really is). Banking is a great place to start a career, earn your stripes, open doors, whatever you want to call it. It's definitely true. However keep in mind - many (really the majority) of people leave banking after a number of years just to join the same careers (corporate, start-ups, etc) in roles that they could have earned just by starting out in that said job to begin with. When you put it that way, there's little benefit of going that route except for some health problems, a failed marriage and maybe an ulcer (too many people fall into the trap of the lifestyle and end up spending all their bonuses anyway) It becomes hard to leave not because many like the job but because they have fallen prey to an unrealistic lifestyle that cannot be maintained. Dropping $1000 on a dinner or a strip-club is a very small sense of personal fulfilment at the end of the day.

And for the ones that switch from banking to VC, PE or Hedge Funds is simply a change of name not of profession or environment. PE is absolutely no different than banking and you work just as much, period. The work is absolutely the same, just switch xx financial product for Leverage Finance and you got your glorified investment bank (ugh I mean PE shop). Hedge Funds are probably slightly less hours but more stress. VC can definitely be less hours but you are not making as much as banking, you really can't bank on it unless you get to Partner level and that's way harder to do than banking or PE. I speak of all these industries from first hand experience having many of my closest friends in it.

I spent 6 years in those industries to come to this conclusion. I don't regret it one little bit, but I had none of this knowledge when I walked bright-eyed and hopefull into my first banking job. At the end of the day, to each his own, right?

I can't comment on VC because I have no clue about it. As far as PE goes - you're right that people at shops like KKR, Blackstone, Carlyle, Apollo, etc. work the same hours as bankers. However, I have a few friends who work at the middle-market shops ($500M-$5B AUM) and they tend to work 60 hours/week (70-80 during crunch times) and still take home $200-300K all-in at the pre-MBA level. Not a bad gig.

You're right that you can get many of the same positions by skipping banking altogether - but you certainly won't get them as fast as if you put in your 2-3 years in banking. Most F500 corporate jobs are very stagnant and have slow progression up the ladder. Consulting and Banking are generally a faster track to the top of the food chain.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
terp06 wrote:
sebycb976:

I admit that you have sufficiently scared me to a degree. That is absolutely insane about the analysts/associates in SF/LA crashing their cars, and it somehow being a badge of honor to the office. Please tell me you're exaggerating that one by a bit? I was hoping to work in SF/LA. That bit really turns me off to the culture. I don't mind working my tail off and perhaps putting my health at risk a little bit in my younger years, but I have a serious problem with risking my life as well as the lives of other people on the road. Driving on 2 hours of sleep is illegal in most states - and I can't believe that banks would actually encourage this. From what I have seen, banks seem to be some of the most straight laced employers out there today (i.e. one of the few that still make summer interns take drug tests, and one of the few that block personal e-mail at work).

I agree with a lot of the points that you said. Dinner allowances and first class flights don't really make up for the lifestyle and the hours, but they help cushion it just a touch. As far as people only being in it for the money - I suppose you're right to a certain degree, but there are many other finance oriented careers where you can make a lot more money. I agree with you that banking is for the risk averse. There is no other career where you can make 7 figures for being mediocre and just conforming to the lifestyle/culture and doing what people tell you to do. You'll have to earn it through performance in Sales & Trading and you'll have to earn it in Private Equity.

From all of the accounts that I have seen and heard about, life does get a lot better after the associate years? VPs/MDs can often work from home in the evening, and yes they do travel quite a bit - but what high powered executive doesn't? And that's only really if you decide to stick with it. I think the main reason that most sane people do banking is for the exit opps, not the junior-level money. The skillset that you develop and hang on to for the rest of your career is very valuable and will ensure you highly paid/glamorous positions either in the corporate world or in finance.

Terp, as I mentioned my purpose was not to scare anyone from banking, as you perfectly stated it yourself, there are certain undeniable benefits that you can't necessary get from other careers. Skills that will be helpful in any career you pursue post banking. You are a pretty sharp guy, I've read a few of your posts over time as I was prepping for the GMAT and lurking on the different forums, I just couldn't help weighing in on the banking related conversation. Take what I say with a grain of salt because everyone's experience is different from firm to firm and even from group to group under the investment banking umbrella.

Unfortunately, the comment about crashing cars is entirely way true for the mentioned bulge bracket firm in SF. I did not personally work there but I had frequent interaction with their bankers and some of the victims themselves to know it to be true. And there are other banks in the area, where although they may not take such a "pride" in this fact, such accidents do happen. My suggestion to you - when you do pursue that associate gig, do your due diligence thoroughly. Cultures vary from place to place, sometimes even considerably from office to office of the same investment bank. Make sure the culture resonates with your own background (teamwork vs. superstars, meritocracy vs. bureaucracy, etc) Just as the top ten bschools are very similar in some ways but have slight nuances, so are the investment banks.

Life does get better as you move up the ranks in the sense that you are not cranking so much monkey work but having more variety in your workload - travelling, diligence sessions, conferences, deal structuring, etc. But you are still very much tied to your office as you not only have to manage clients, SVPs and MDs upward (when you are a VP for example) but also downward in the sense of your associates and analysts. I would work with VPs that stayed up all night from home and bombarded me with emails to do this and that. Then they would want to review it and give comments. Just because someone is laying on the couch vs being inside their office, doesn't change the fact that they are doing work till 3am.

Feel free to ping me offline if you have any other questions about banking or west coast banking specifically. I spent enough years in west coast banking to learn a thing or two at least I could give you some thoughts on the banks and groups with a better reputation vs the chop shop ones.

Good luck
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [0]
Send PM
jallenmorris wrote:
With all due respect, if you're saying something because your friends are in it, that's not first hand knowledge.

sebycb976 wrote:
I speak of all these industries from first hand experience having many of my closest friends in it.

First hand knowledge for banking and VC. "Second hand" knowledge from speaking almost daily to friends in those places, or working with them directly on deals (high finance is really not that big of an industry especially in satellite locations like the west coast)

General observation....jaleenmorris you must be a lawyer.... :lol: You definitely learn in banking how "your kind" thinks... no offense intended :-D
Manager
Manager
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
sebycb976 wrote:
No problem, I'm not trying to scare anyone from going into banking or making it seem less glamorous (even though in reality it really is). Banking is a great place to start a career, earn your stripes, open doors, whatever you want to call it. It's definitely true. However keep in mind - many (really the majority) of people leave banking after a number of years just to join the same careers (corporate, start-ups, etc) in roles that they could have earned just by starting out in that said job to begin with. When you put it that way, there's little benefit of going that route except for some health problems, a failed marriage and maybe an ulcer (too many people fall into the trap of the lifestyle and end up spending all their bonuses anyway) It becomes hard to leave not because many like the job but because they have fallen prey to an unrealistic lifestyle that cannot be maintained. Dropping $1000 on a dinner or a strip-club is a very small sense of personal fulfilment at the end of the day.

I can't comment on VC because I have no clue about it. As far as PE goes - you're right that people at shops like KKR, Blackstone, Carlyle, Apollo, etc. work the same hours as bankers. However, I have a few friends who work at the middle-market shops ($500M-$5B AUM) and they tend to work 60 hours/week (70-80 during crunch times) and still take home $200-300K all-in at the pre-MBA level. Not a bad gig.

You're right that you can get many of the same positions by skipping banking altogether - but you certainly won't get them as fast as if you put in your 2-3 years in banking. Most F500 corporate jobs are very stagnant and have slow progression up the ladder. Consulting and Banking are generally a faster track to the top of the food chain.

Agreed with you Terp. Everyone I know at the likes of KKR, Blackstone and TPG work same or more hours than banking. THe middle market shops are hit-or-miss. You could be at a smaller, $500 mm or less fund, for example and work absolutely ridiculous hours. I know plenty of people at those and I almost went to one myself. On the other hand you could be at a larger fund and work reasonable hours. It all depends on the culture, the people, the types of deals and the degree of involvement in portfolio companies. Hell, I can even tell you Corporate Development (M&A) groups within Fortune 500 companies where you are expected to work 80+ hours a week...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Wharton, Booth, Stern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Excellent posts Seby, very insightful! It's not scary, but it's certainly daunting...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
 Q47  V40 GMAT 2: 710  Q45  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Send PM
I second that ... thanks a lot ... it is always instructive to hear it from the horses mouth so to speak as opposed to trying to construct the image from isolated pieces of information.

Kudos

Audio wrote:
Excellent posts Seby, very insightful! It's not scary, but it's certainly daunting...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 235 [0]
Schools:St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal
 Q48  V39
Send PM
What about Investment Management? Is the work environment/workload similar to IB?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
lumone wrote:
What about Investment Management? Is the work environment/workload similar to IB?

Nope, the hours aren't as bad.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 235 [0]
Schools:St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal
 Q48  V39
Send PM
kidderek wrote:
lumone wrote:

Nope, the hours aren't as bad.

Thanks, would anyone know any website/book on "working as an investment manager"? This is a field I am considering, but I need to do my research before registering for the CFA.
I've read tons of books on investing, but I am not familiar with the "work life style" of IMers.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
 Q47  V40 GMAT 2: 710  Q45  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Send PM
top quality post Pelihu ...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Schools:Wharton, Chicago
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Kudos
pelihu wrote:
If you look at an executive roster at any top company, you're going to find that a substantial portion have experience with big 3 consulting and bulge bracket banks. It really is the fast-track to the top. In fact, I'd bet that most top companies (depending on industry, competitiveness, things like that) will have more people with top consulting/banking experience than pure home-grown talent.

While I think this is basically correct for big3 consulting, I think this is severely overstating the prospects for former IBers in industry roles. IBers are useful to corporations for strategic M&A and raising capital, which is a valuable thing for companies, but really they should be a support or advisory role to the real senior management. This is because they have no experience in running a business or solving business problems. (At least the consultants have vast experience thinking about how to solve the business problems that managers face.) I think the reason you might find IBers ending up in real leadership positions at corporations is because they prove over time that they are smart enough to move into that role from the advisory role, but I definitely don't think they're on the "fast-track" to get there.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Kudos
cougarblue wrote:
While I think this is basically correct for big3 consulting, I think this is severely overstating the prospects for former IBers in industry roles. IBers are useful to corporations for strategic M&A and raising capital, which is a valuable thing for companies, but really they should be a support or advisory role to the real senior management. This is because they have no experience in running a business or solving business problems. (At least the consultants have vast experience thinking about how to solve the business problems that managers face.) I think the reason you might find IBers ending up in real leadership positions at corporations is because they prove over time that they are smart enough to move into that role from the advisory role, but I definitely don't think they're on the "fast-track" to get there.

Can you think of any IBankers that are leading large corporations other than financial firms. Ex McK/B/B guys end up leading companies quite often, so I'm curious if Ibankers end up in CEO positions rather than CFO positions.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
I don't think that bankers generally enjoy or like the role of a CFO. CFO's usually come from public accounting and controller backgrounds. I can't think of any prominent bankers off the top of my head that head up Fortune 500 companies - but I think that you will see plenty of bankers heading up smaller, entrepeneurial companies backed by VC/PE firms. This is especially true if the small/entrepeneurial company is one that seeks to grow and create value through rapid acquisitions. Fortune 500 CEOs tend to be very polished, schmoozer types - almost like a politician. Although bankers know how to sell - their basic personality type is very different from most guys that head up large public companies.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
I don't think that bankers generally enjoy or like the role of a CFO. CFO's usually come from public accounting and controller backgrounds. I can't think of any prominent bankers off the top of my head that head up Fortune 500 companies - but I think that you will see plenty of bankers heading up smaller, entrepeneurial companies backed by VC/PE firms. This is especially true if the small/entrepeneurial company is one that seeks to grow and create value through rapid acquisitions. Fortune 500 CEOs tend to be very polished, schmoozer types - almost like a politician. Although bankers know how to sell - their basic personality type is very different from most guys that head up large public companies.

Could you elaborate a bit on the personality type most often seen in IBankers? I haven't been around v. many - more so around the consultant types - so am curious!

cheers,
ac.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
ac8706 wrote:
terp06 wrote:

Could you elaborate a bit on the personality type most often seen in IBankers? I haven't been around v. many - more so around the consultant types - so am curious!

cheers,
ac.

They're driven by the excitement of making the deal, the adrenaline rush, and the power/status. CFOs and accountants tend to be a bit more conservative and vanilla in comparison.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   
Moderators:
Math Expert
93025 posts
GMAT Tutor
1904 posts