Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 15:50 It is currently 05 May 2024, 15:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

How confident are you that Kellogg essays don't need to be double-spaced?

You may select 1 option
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
 Q50  V47
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: Kellogg double spacing requirement [#permalink]
sonibubu wrote:
Thanks river. Yeah I'm around 1200-1250 for the longest. I'll keep working on reducing them. When the apps come out and Kellogg says double space only, I'll go back and re-edit if need be.

One thing about going double space from the start...trust me its easier to add details or a story or two. However, its MUCH harder to cut stuff...you tend to feel its all great and getting rid of stuff is very tough and often requires some outside advice on what doesnt add much. I can tell you that its pretty common to put stuff in an essay that you think is great but really adds nothing of value. I was guilty of this, and I am sure everyone on here was...thats why you need other people to read your essays. Its hard to be objective sometimes when you put soo much into the essays.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
At the Kellogg Q&A session on Friday (7/25), I asked the adcom presenting about the requirement - she said she was "pretty sure" the requirement would be double-spacing and to call the office in a few weeks to double check. I will (as will many others on this forum, I'm sure) call in a few days/week but my guess is that it's going to be double spaced.... :roll:
Current Student
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Wow, how do they STILL not know what the spacing requirement should be? They released questions in early June and now applicants are getting different information coming from different directions. This is a top 5 school, right? Truly frustrating...wow.

ac8706 wrote:
At the Kellogg Q&A session on Friday (7/25), I asked the adcom presenting about the requirement - she said she was "pretty sure" the requirement would be double-spacing and to call the office in a few weeks to double check. I will (as will many others on this forum, I'm sure) call in a few days/week but my guess is that it's going to be double spaced.... :roll:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Soni -- I understand it is frustrating. But remember, schools are now releasing questions earlier than ever before so there are some hiccups in the process. I am sure this will get corrected in future years based on the amount of calls/emails AdCom is receiving on this issue.

But I think you shouldn't really fret. Most people here suggest you prepare as if the requirement was double spaced. Even if the requirement is not double spaced, I would stick to double spaced. There is value to conciseness. More words do not necessarily mean better quality essays. And 2 pages double spaced is PLENTY of room to get your ideas across.
Current Student
 Q50  V47
Send PM
MGOBLUE2 wrote:
Soni -- I understand it is frustrating. But remember, schools are now releasing questions earlier than ever before so there are some hiccups in the process. I am sure this will get corrected in future years based on the amount of calls/emails AdCom is receiving on this issue.

But I think you shouldn't really fret. Most people here suggest you prepare as if the requirement was double spaced. Even if the requirement is not double spaced, I would stick to double spaced. There is value to conciseness. More words do not necessarily mean better quality essays. And 2 pages double spaced is PLENTY of room to get your ideas across.

I understand what you're saying and it's good advice. I just don't get why the guy at the front desk at the admissions office is telling people left and right that single spacing is OK, that it's "entirely up to the applicant" while adcoms are saying they're still deciding. After 12 years of double-spacing, and with the surge in apps, it would make sense to just leave it double spaced. Why even drop a hint of single-spacing or 1.5 spacing?

Ugh, anyways, onward...
Current Student
Send PM
ok just called their admissions office to ask once more - the guy at the desk said that the spacing requirement is double-spaced.

I imagine this might still be up in the air until the actual app is released but I'm going to write my essays with double-spacing....I can always add more text if I need to :)

cheers,
ac.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
sonibubu wrote:
Wow, how do they STILL not know what the spacing requirement should be? They released questions in early June and now applicants are getting different information coming from different directions. This is a top 5 school, right? Truly frustrating...wow.

WOW...its frustrating to read you guys complain about these things considering you have two more months to work on them than we did. :twisted:

Seriously, you have to realize 95% of the time when you call ANY school you are getting the secretary for the office and they often know very little in the way of specifics or requirements. Remember the application isnt out yet, just the essay questions...they are being very nice letting you guys have all this extra time.
Current Student
Send PM
Hahaha good point river! I think that's actually what it makes it more annoying - they've released the app questions so we can start thinking/planning but not enough of the details to feel that we're on track with things like lenght/essay flow/etc. It's like they're toying with us... :wink:

And of course we're getting the random secretaries at the desk :? But it's still good to hear what they say! Just have to remember that most often they don't make the decisions about app guidelines nor do they always know what the official school stance on anything will be.... :)

cheers,
ac.

riverripper wrote:
sonibubu wrote:

WOW...its frustrating to read you guys complain about these things considering you have two more months to work on them than we did. :twisted:

Seriously, you have to realize 95% of the time when you call ANY school you are getting the secretary for the office and they often know very little in the way of specifics or requirements. Remember the application isnt out yet, just the essay questions...they are being very nice letting you guys have all this extra time.
Current Student
 Q50  V47
Send PM
ac8706 wrote:
ok just called their admissions office to ask once more - the guy at the desk said that the spacing requirement is double-spaced.

I imagine this might still be up in the air until the actual app is released but I'm going to write my essays with double-spacing....I can always add more text if I need to :)

Oh great, no added confusion there :) I was planning on finishing Kellogg essays by next week and moving forward to Columbia.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
ac8706 wrote:
And of course we're getting the random secretaries at the desk :? But it's still good to hear what they say! Just have to remember that most often they don't make the decisions about app guidelines nor do they always know what the official school stance on anything will be.... :)

I remember those secretaries. I always hated talking to the because as frustrated as you get they probably hate everytime an applicant calls and they have to put on that its nice to speak to you attitude. Just think of how many idiots call up asking when they are going to get their decision...or even worse how about the people who call about the status of the WL. I remember sitting in the adcom office at several different schools and watching the people answering the phones...sometimes I think the people on the other end are convinved they are talking to the Dean judging by what the expect the person to know.

Seriously though, I would work towards writing double spaced and see what they end up having for a limit. It seems like a safe bet that they are anticipating another bump in applications, so they aren't about to double the amount of reading they have to do. Just look at what they did to the #4 essay question limit...its now 2 paragraphs instead of 3.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
I really would not go over 1200 words for the essays. As river said, the Kellogg word limit was perfect. I was able to discuss everything I wanted to talk about in those essays.
Current Student
 Q50  V47
Send PM
OK just got off the phone with admissions:

There was a communication issue on our end. All essays must be double-spaced.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
what's the font size and margins? 2 pages double spaced for me is about 600 words in 12 point font, and 800 in 10 point.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
terp26 wrote:
what's the font size and margins? 2 pages double spaced for me is about 600 words in 12 point font, and 800 in 10 point.

I had about 900-950 words per essay with 1" margins all around. I know Kry messed with his formatting and fit closer to 1200 words.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
yup, confirming roughly 1100 or so words for my 2 pages.
GMAT Club Bot