Last visit was: 04 May 2024, 19:36 It is currently 04 May 2024, 19:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: 2009 Recommendation Letter Questions [#permalink]
sebycb976 wrote:
Thanks a lot jb32. Does anyone have the questions for the Wharton, Yale and Kellogg recommendation letters?

Kellogg's is at the bottom of this post. https://gmatclub.com/forum/p452339#p452339
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Send PM
sebycb976 wrote:
I have unfortunately been given the undesired (and inappropriate) task by my managing director to draft the recommendation letters myself before he reviews and submits them. This unfortunatley has been the tradition at the place I work at over the years as many people in my position have gone to business school.

That being said, how can I actually get the recommendations questions for the schools I am applying to? I know for some (or maybe all) the form is made available online to the recommender and the applicant has no access to the process. Does anyone know where to get the questions for HBS, Stanford, Wharton, UCLA, Kellogg and Yale?

Any help would be much appreciated.

As a word of Caution, if you are to write your own recommendation on behalf of your recommender per his request, you may want to rethink. Especially, if you are applying to Stanford, which has reiterated that it doesn't encourage such practice. The excerpt below is from Stanford's Admissions page:
# It is a violation of the spirit of the Fundamental Standard and Honor Code to draft or write your own Letter of Reference, even if asked to do so by your recommender. Such an action can result in denial of your application or withdrawal of your offer of admission. If the individual insists on this approach, you should find another recommender.

You simply don't want to risk your chances of admission, even though your letter wouldn't look like yours when it gets all edited, signed and submitted by your Managing Director. I was in the same situation like yourself but when I really sat down and thought about it, I understood that I don't need to ask an individual who doesn't care to spend a few minutes to help me grow in my career. After all, it gives you the opportunity to find how someone really cares to spend a few minutes to help you with this very important piece of your application packet that has all the potential to change the direction of your career. So, I dropped him like a hot potato and went to someone who was so sincere and willing to write it on his own! Good luck!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
I've heard Columbia's is pretty in depth. Anyone know where to find this years rec form?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
one of the best ways is to submit your recommender's name and have him/her forward the questions to you.

other than that, I would recommend you have a friend write a draft for you and then have the recommender review it. I know it's not the best option to have to draft your own rec letters, and some people believe it's unethical, but there are definitely situations (nightmares, more like it) where I've seen my friends get screwed over by their recommenders and had to draft their own the night before the letters were due. :shock:

Moral of story? If possible at all, find a recommender who will be EAGER to write you a letter. If your boss is not cooperative, pick someone else (a client, a former boss, etc...) and explain your choice in your optional essay.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I completely agree with all your posts and do not feel comfortable one little bit even drafting the letter before giving it to the MD. However, as I mentioned, it is sort of a (crappy) tradition at our shop and therefore even if I were to ask someone else (anyone else) they would require the same thing. Someone suggested I try to push back and let them know this is considered unethical and could jeoperdize my admission. Hopefully this will have an impact.

My only other solution would be to simply not get a recommendation from my current employer which I think could be more risky than giving the draft a shot and then having the MD finish it. I think they view it more as a self review and want you to think through your own accomplishments / weaknesses before they step in. I don't think it has as much with them being lazy or not wanting to dedicate the time. Tough place to work that's for sure
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Stanford Direct Link

https://www.gsb.stanford.edu/mba/2008_p_ ... erence.pdf

Does anyone have the form or list of questions that Wharton uses?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
If I were you I wouldn't apply to Ross.

From their application you need to sign this:

By checking this box, I certify that the recommendation submitted to this school will be the work of my recommender(s). I understand that my application and/or admission to this institution may be terminated upon any discovery of deceit or forgery.

If they notice your writing style, even something you do not see, you will be screwed. Just an FYI :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
What do you guys think about not submitting a recommendation letter from a supervisor? i dont think there's any way i could approach my current boss. for one thing he's korean and his english is crappy and they look badly upon people that want to leave. im sure that his letter wouldnt' be good and he would wait till the last minute and do a really crappy job.

what should i do!!! i have a mentor figure at work--i could ask him. i don't report to him but he's definitely above me.

any ideas? all input welcome...thanks.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
Here is how I would handle the situation of a boss wanting you to write your own rec (and clearly I don't take as hard a line on the ethics of this situation as some on this board):

I would have a peer/friend of yours at your office that you know and trust write the letter of reccomendation for you. You can give them the standard rec package and then add in some of the details of stuff you did with your boss that they may not know about. They can use this to draft a letter and then you can have your boss sign it. By doing this you get a letter that is not written in your style, that will still have some insights about you that you would not have thought of (these would come from your peer that writes the rec), and you get to have complete control over final content.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
I would have a peer/friend of yours at your office that you know and trust write the letter of reccomendation for you. You can give them the standard rec package and then add in some of the details of stuff you did with your boss that they may not know about. They can use this to draft a letter and then you can have your boss sign it. By doing this you get a letter that is not written in your style, that will still have some insights about you that you would not have thought of (these would come from your peer that writes the rec), and you get to have complete control over final content.

that would probably work. It's something I would suggest to people in this situation in the past.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
This is probably the most appropriate thread to ask this question, how do you folks interpret the following questions (from Columbia's LOR). I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out what really is being asked here, and I am going to go prep my CBS recommenders tomorrow!

4. In what ways could the applicant improve professionally?

and;

7. If you could change one thing about the applicant, what would it be?

Both questions seem to raise that classic "weakness" question, but aren't they essentially the same? Or would 7. talk about an area of "personal" improvement exclusively, as opposed to a "professional" one in 4.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Here's another interesting question - if someone asks you to write their recommendation - are you still supposed to give them a gift at the end of the recommendation process even though they did not do anywhere near as much work as your other recommenders?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Concentration: 20% From Concentration
Schools:The School that shall not be named
 Q49  V38
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
Here's another interesting question - if someone asks you to write their recommendation - are you still supposed to give them a gift at the end of the recommendation process even though they did not do anywhere near as much work as your other recommenders?

I'd think so... The person who did less work didn't know that he was not "up to par."
So, that person probably is expecting a token of your appreciation, just like the other guys.
Of course, you can choose to give him a smaller token. :wink:
GMAT Club Bot