Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 11:51 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 11:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1539 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Wharton, Booth, Stern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: Just how powerful is the HBS brand on your resume? [#permalink]
RVD wrote:
A guy I knew in High School went to Harvard for undergrad. We were in a bar one day when a really drunk guy walked up to our table and looked at the Harvard guy and said "hey you! did you murder somebody?" and Harvard guy actually opened up his wallet, pulled out his harvard student ID and said "no, i go to harvard."...drunk guy walked away.

A girl I know always talks about how she went to Harvard law. turns out that she went to Boalt (great school btw) but went to Harvard law for a semester. but to think day she tells everyone that she went to Harvard law. she went on a date with a friend of mine and my friend told me when they started talking it went something like this:

Harvard Girl: I can't tell you what I do for a living because you'll be too intimidated
My friend: uh, don't worry, i won't be.
HG: ok, i'm a district attorney.
friend: oh cool.
HG: But i really can't tell you where i went to school or else you'll be really intimidated
friend: uh (rolling his eyes at this point), you really don't have to worry about that...
HG: ok, i went to harvard. are you intimidated?
friend: uh, no.
HG: why not?
friend....on and on...short date.

I think the brand names goes pretty far and works well if you take the "modest" approach where you don't bring it up but wait until someone asks and then say "well, I went to Harvard".

RVD.

Great story about the phycho *complain*! :-D Loved it.

Otherwise, I totally agree. If somebody asks you what you do, just go for the casual answer. If somebody qsks you specifics, then you go Wharton or HBS. Modesty and casualness are the best approaches I reckon (don't fall in the fake modesty trap though, that feels just akward).

Over here the bars we hang out at are generally populated with Wharton students, but even when a non-Whartonite asks you what you do, they are not impressed (they get used to see these people all year, so they don't care anymore - that's my first impression after a week over here anyway).

RVD, are you a first or second year student? If first, what cohort?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
honestly I hate the modest people. lol Ok hates a strong word but as long as you don't say it condescending, I don't see why not. It makes me more interested. Or another instance where I asked this girls bf why he was moving away, and he said for work. However I knew he was a doctor and going for a residency. Who caresss I like to hear things like that, it gives me more drive.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
terp26 wrote:
honestly I hate the modest people. lol Ok hates a strong word but as long as you don't say it condescending, I don't see why not. It makes me more interested. Or another instance where I asked this girls bf why he was moving away, and he said for work. However I knew he was a doctor and going for a residency. Who caresss I like to hear things like that, it gives me more drive.

I think the issue is you're probably in the minority when it comes to this. Most people would find a person arrogant even if they mention it non-condescendingly, that's why many "modest" people have adopted the tactic of not mentioning it unless they have to.

I guess this is a case where those HBS (and other top school attendees) just can't win either way. :P
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Kudos
There's an intriguing new book out about the student experience at HBS - "Ahead of the Curve: Two Years at Harvard Business School" by Philip Broughton (Class of '06, incidentally graduated without a job :) )

Interesting snippets from Bloomberg (https://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601088&sid=aeELPWJU1xX8&refer=home)

For some members of his class, accustomed to 80-hour workweeks, the 55 hours of academic work expected of students seemed like a vacation, he writes. One veteran of a private equity firm "did not expect to learn much, but she was looking forward to sleeping, working out and taking long vacations.''

HBS is all about leadership, starting with the school's mission statement: "to educate leaders who make a difference in the world.'' Even lowly positions at student clubs are advertised as "leadership opportunities'' and carry the title of vice president.

"The degree enabled them to get jobs that robbed them of their private lives,'' he says. The consolation is that the money they accumulate eventually allows them "to live the lives they wanted.''
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
Nice snippet, solaris1. kudos!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
I think having the HBS brand on your resume will increase its strength, making it stronger than Angelsoft but not as strong as Charmin Ultra.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
pelihu wrote:
I think having the HBS brand on your resume will increase its strength, making it stronger than Angelsoft but not as strong as Charmin Ultra.

I heart Charmin Ultra... :kiss
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Send PM
Audio wrote:

Great story about the phycho *complain*! :-D Loved it.

Otherwise, I totally agree. If somebody asks you what you do, just go for the casual answer. If somebody qsks you specifics, then you go Wharton or HBS. Modesty and casualness are the best approaches I reckon (don't fall in the fake modesty trap though, that feels just akward).

Over here the bars we hang out at are generally populated with Wharton students, but even when a non-Whartonite asks you what you do, they are not impressed (they get used to see these people all year, so they don't care anymore - that's my first impression after a week over here anyway).

RVD, are you a first or second year student? If first, what cohort?

Hey Audio, I'm actually a 1st year student at Wharton West (executive program) so I'm not out there in Philadelphia.

RVD.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2730 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
raabenb wrote:
I heard one time that a guy hit a deer with his car. The poor thing was wedged in his grill. He did not know what to do so he tried the only thing he could think of......he put his hands on the deer corpse and said "I am a Harvard MBA" and the deer came back to life, fixed the car damage, and ran back into the woods. True story.

I was so touched by this story that I fell down from my chair !!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Cures cancer. Wait, was that covered already?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
you guys are too funny...if I get into HBS, i am going to get a "I HAVE AN HBS MBA" tattooed on my forehead...
SVP
SVP
Send PM
fresinha12 wrote:
you guys are too funny...if I get into HBS, i am going to get a "I HAVE AN HBS MBA" tattooed on my forehead...

You won't need it. They don't let you graduate w/o having a permanent smug look on your face that says it all -- HBS alum, biotch!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
kidderek wrote:
fresinha12 wrote:

You won't need it. They don't let you graduate w/o having a permanent smug look on your face that says it all -- HBS alum, biotch!

lol..
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2730 [0]
Send PM
kidderek wrote:
fresinha12 wrote:

Ha ha ha .....
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51453 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bumpworthy
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT Date: 04-24-2014
GPA: 3.67
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
Bumpworthy

This thread is epic hahahahahahahah!!! Do HBS jokes pre-date chuck norris jokes?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2